possible hdd death?

Post by benjamin j snyd » Fri, 13 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I've noticed lately that fsck reports (and fixes) some errors everytime it gets
run.  I was wondering if this is likely to be hardware failure, or if I should
just start over with a fresh install?  The errors are typically things like
bad/duplicate blocks, and incorrect counts.

thanks in advance.

--
Ben Snyder

possible hdd death?

Post by Stuart R. Full » Fri, 13 Aug 1999 04:00:00

: I've noticed lately that fsck reports (and fixes) some errors everytime it gets
: run.  I was wondering if this is likely to be hardware failure, or if I should
: just start over with a fresh install?  The errors are typically things like
: bad/duplicate blocks, and incorrect counts.

If your system is being properly shutdown, with file systems unmounted, then
you have a problem.

On the other hand, if the system is just being turned off or reset without a
proper shutdown, then these problems are not unexpected.

        Stu

possible hdd death?

Post by benjamin j snyd » Fri, 13 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I shut the machine down 2 different ways.  I use RH6.0 and mostly use the
shutdown feature in Enlightenment, or I type'shutdown -h now' it at the command
prompt.

I know shutdown is OK, and assume that the Enlightenment feature is just an
alias to the same thing.

If the Enlightenmnet fature is not the fault, then would redoing the partition
table and reinstalling fix the problem, or is it more likely to be hardware
failure in the hdd?

Quote:>If your system is being properly shutdown, with file systems unmounted, then

--
Ben Snyder

possible hdd death?

Post by benjamin j snyd » Fri, 13 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I forgot to mention in this last posting that RH automatically shutsdown my
system (it's ATX) whenever the system is halted...the only thing that gets
turned off by hand is the monitor.

--

:
: I shut the machine down 2 different ways.  I use RH6.0 and mostly use the
: shutdown feature in Enlightenment, or I type'shutdown -h now' it at the command
: prompt.
:
: I know shutdown is OK, and assume that the Enlightenment feature is just an
: alias to the same thing.
:
: If the Enlightenmnet fature is not the fault, then would redoing the partition
: table and reinstalling fix the problem, or is it more likely to be hardware
: failure in the hdd?

I'd do this:

        # shutdown now  # note, no '-h'

wait until it shuts down to single user.  Then, manually unmount all the file
systems, including '/'.  Then, reboot to single user mode and see if all the
file systems fsck'd and mounted cleanly.  This way, you know and saw that they
were shutdown cleanly.

There was a problem with an early release of Mandrake 6.0 which would
sometimes fail to unmount file systems at shutdown time.  Since Mandrake is
based on Redhat, maybe your Redhat system has the same problem?

If you observe a clean unmount, but fsck fails on the reboot, then you have a
rather large can of worms.  Maybe the disk, maybe cpu or memory?  What kind of
disk?  If SCSI, make sure you're running with the shortest, highest quality
cables, and verify termination on both ends of the bus.

        Stu

possible hdd death?

Post by C. C. McPhers » Fri, 13 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Sounds like you could have some badblocks on your HD. You need to also check
for badblocks - fsck does not check for them.
> I forgot to mention in this last posting that RH automatically shutsdown my
> system (it's ATX) whenever the system is halted...the only thing that gets
> turned off by hand is the monitor.

> >I shut the machine down 2 different ways.  I use RH6.0 and mostly use the
> >shutdown feature in Enlightenment, or I type'shutdown -h now' it at the command
> >prompt.

> >I know shutdown is OK, and assume that the Enlightenment feature is just an
> >alias to the same thing.

> >If the Enlightenmnet fature is not the fault, then would redoing the partition
> >table and reinstalling fix the problem, or is it more likely to be hardware
> >failure in the hdd?

> >>If your system is being properly shutdown, with file systems unmounted, then
> >>you have a problem.

> >>On the other hand, if the system is just being turned off or reset without a
> >>proper shutdown, then these problems are not unexpected.

> >>        Stu

> >--
> >Ben Snyder

1. Linux & NT on 2 HDD's possible?

While I haven't actually done this, I have been told that lilo and the
NT loader do not support booting to multiple drives.  The suggestion
made to me was to partition the first drive and install both OS's.  Use
this as your boot drive.  Then partition the second drive to be used for
data and programs.  Currently I run Linux and Win 95 with linux on my
slave drive.  I boot to linux with a floppy.  It's not the cleanest
arangment but it does work.

2. init: no more processes left in this runlevel

3. Possible to boot /dev/hdd from boot floppy?

4. Kpackviewer - Missing Mime

5. Is a FULL install to /hdd possible anymore?

6. Suppress clock in task bar - fvwm95

7. Q: Linux on a EZ-processed 8.4G Hdd, possible and safe ?

8. vt100 and ANSI sequences

9. iBook hdd upgrade: possible?

10. Replacing old HDD with new bigger HDD, Please help me!

11. hdd-kernel-parameters & hdd-geometry

12. Can I copy my Linux partition from Desktop HDD to mobile HDD via USB?

13. Booting from HDD into ramdisk, then unmount HDD?