Time For a New Video Card: Matrox G550 & Flat Panel LCD Don't Mix

Time For a New Video Card: Matrox G550 & Flat Panel LCD Don't Mix

Post by w » Sun, 04 Jul 2004 22:36:50

I've been using a Matrox G550 card for a few years on various
Slackware machines. The card is now in an Athlon XP 2700 machine
running Slackware 10. I just picked up my first flat panel LCD monitor
and learned that there are problems with the G550 driving DVI output
using the Xfree/Xorg servers. In my case, it can't drive the new
monitor at all.  The XFree/Xorg docs suggest that a proprietary Matrox
driver is needed for DVI output.  That doesn't work, either.

Out of necessity, I'm using the commercial X server from XiG, which
does support DVI on the G550.  The overall quality of the display is
excellent, but I'm experiencing frequent momentary freezing of the
mouse and keyboard, plus occasional failure to display text correctly
(it's replaced by black or white bands).

I'm not a gamer. I'll trade great 2D resolution and great display of
text and 2D images for 3D speed.

What boards available today meet those requirements, and work with
Xorg to drive DVI to a flat panel monitor?

Post by Alf Tanne » Mon, 05 Jul 2004 04:40:08

> I've been using a Matrox G550 card for a few years on various
> Slackware machines. The card is now in an Athlon XP 2700 machine
> running Slackware 10. I just picked up my first flat panel LCD monitor
> and learned that there are problems with the G550 driving DVI output
> using the Xfree/Xorg servers.

There are the same problems with Matrox driver, check out their forum.
I would just use the vga output. If yours is a good panel, the quality
output of the matrox vga is astonishing.

Post by w » Mon, 05 Jul 2004 19:54:39

> > I've been using a Matrox G550 card for a few years on various
> > Slackware machines. The card is now in an Athlon XP 2700 machine
> > running Slackware 10. I just picked up my first flat panel LCD monitor
> > and learned that there are problems with the G550 driving DVI output
> > using the Xfree/Xorg servers.
> There are the same problems with Matrox driver, check out their forum.
> I would just use the vga output. If yours is a good panel, the quality
> output of the matrox vga is astonishing.

In Linux, the 550's analog display on this flat panel is nowhere near
the quality of its digital output on Windows. Analog display in
Windows, using MAtrox drivers, mirrors that.  I've also tried the
commercial server from XiG, which supports DVI. It puts up a better
display in Linux than the Matrox drivers do in Windows. The XiG server
has a couple of annoying glitches that will keep me from using it on a
regular basis.

Post by Anton Er » Mon, 05 Jul 2004 20:33:44

>I've been using a Matrox G550 card for a few years on various
>Slackware machines. The card is now in an Athlon XP 2700 machine
>running Slackware 10. I just picked up my first flat panel LCD monitor
>and learned that there are problems with the G550 driving DVI output
>using the Xfree/Xorg servers. In my case, it can't drive the new
>monitor at all.  The XFree/Xorg docs suggest that a proprietary Matrox
>driver is needed for DVI output.  That doesn't work, either.

We had problems with DVI-D in 1600x1200 on a G450.  I wrote up how we
solved it on http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/igel2.html.

- anton

Post by abc » Fri, 09 Jul 2004 15:47:14

> In my case, it can't drive the new
> monitor at all.  The XFree/Xorg docs suggest that a proprietary Matrox
> driver is needed for DVI output.  That doesn't work, either.

Yes, check the martox forums and give all your setting in XFree86.conf
file
NK

1. finding and installing drivers for Matrox G550 dual output AGP video card

I need to find and install the drivers for the Matrox G550 dual output AGP
card.

Have never installed drivers for RedHat Linux before (RedHat 7.2), Can you
advise on where I might obtain the driver and also how I would go about
installing it?

insight always appreciated

Thank You
Kevin

2. Videocard GEFORCE2 MX GPU SUPPORT (powercolor)

3. Best: Flat Panel Monitor and Video Card

4. RH 5.1 ip forwarding, routing, ppp problem

5. Sound Card & Serial Mouse don't mix ...

6. enlarging "/" partition

7. Seeking: modern PCI video card with DVI (flat panel) output

8. TCPDUMP help install please.

9. Good video card for digital flat panel?

10. LCD Flat Panel Monitor with RGB inputs?

11. LCD Flat Panel Displays?

12. High Resolution on LCD Flat Panel

13. Digital flat-panel LCD