RH6.2: how to mount ATAPI ZIP drive automatically at startup?

RH6.2: how to mount ATAPI ZIP drive automatically at startup?

Post by Typho » Mon, 25 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Hi guys. I am trying to mount my internal ATAPI ZIP drive automatically at
startup.

I use RedHat 6.2, a basic installation from a RH6.2 CDROM. I use Gnome as my
X-Window application, and Enlightenment as my Window Manager.

I know that my ZIP drive is named hdc4.

I have added these lines to/etc/fstab:

/dev/hdc4        /mnt/zipdos     vfat    noauto,rw,user,sync,mode=0777
/dev/hdc4        /mnt/zip       ext2     noauto,rw,user,nosuid,sync

I would like to be able to mount the ZIP drive automatically when I start
Gnome (by typing startx).

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

Kind regards,

Eric

RH6.2: how to mount ATAPI ZIP drive automatically at startup?

Post by Steve Wolf » Mon, 25 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi guys. I am trying to mount my internal ATAPI ZIP drive automatically at
> startup.

> I use RedHat 6.2, a basic installation from a RH6.2 CDROM. I use Gnome as
my
> X-Window application, and Enlightenment as my Window Manager.

> I know that my ZIP drive is named hdc4.

> I have added these lines to/etc/fstab:

> /dev/hdc4        /mnt/zipdos     vfat    noauto,rw,user,sync,mode=0777
> /dev/hdc4        /mnt/zip       ext2     noauto,rw,user,nosuid,sync

> I would like to be able to mount the ZIP drive automatically when I start
> Gnome (by typing startx).

> Any ideas?

    Take a close look at those lines in the /etc/fstab, see if anything
jumps out at you.  You know, like the "noauto" option. ; )  Take that out of
there, and it will work.

steve
Domain for replies is "codon"

Post by Bartek Kostrzew » Mon, 25 Sep 2000 04:00:00

> Hi guys. I am trying to mount my internal ATAPI ZIP drive automatically at
> startup.

> I use RedHat 6.2, a basic installation from a RH6.2 CDROM. I use Gnome as my
> X-Window application, and Enlightenment as my Window Manager.

> I know that my ZIP drive is named hdc4.

> I have added these lines to/etc/fstab:

> /dev/hdc4        /mnt/zipdos     vfat    noauto,rw,user,sync,mode=0777
> /dev/hdc4        /mnt/zip       ext2     noauto,rw,user,nosuid,sync

> I would like to be able to mount the ZIP drive automatically when I start
> Gnome (by typing startx).

> Any ideas?

> Many thanks.

> Kind regards,

> Eric

Hmm... what does NOAUTO mean?

startx is a script, so just add the line

mount /mnt/zip to it

Post by David_ » Mon, 25 Sep 2000 04:00:00

> Hmm... what does NOAUTO mean?

RTFM.

man fstab
man mount

Quote:> startx is a script, so just add the line

> mount /mnt/zip to it

Modifying the startx script is dumb.  If you do this, you'll have to
make your changes every single time you upgrade your X server.

Write your own script to mount your volumes and call startx.

Or even better, put these commands in .xinitrc - which is run by the X
server on startup.

-- David

1. Troubles installing an ATAPI ZIP drive on RH6.1

Hi there,

I am trying to get a 100Mb ATAPI ZIP drive installed and working on my
RedHat 6.1 system.  The drive is installed, and recognized by both the
BIOS and linux; during boot I get the message

  hdd: IOMEGA 100 ZIP DRIVE ATAPI

But hdd is not listed in the partition table; that only includes the
hda* disks (which is the only hard disk on the system).

I've recompiled my kernel to remove IDE Floppy support, and to include
IDE SCSI emulation, and SCSI generally.

However, the commands

  insmod scsi_mod
  insmod ide-scsi

lead to errors about not being able to find a partition on hdd.  But
my (naive) attempts to put one there with fdisk have come to nothing
because

  hdd is not a valid block device

I'm a bit stuck here.  I've read all the documentation I can find, and
I'm sure I'm just missing the obvious (something I'm woefully good
at).  I would like to get my ZIP drive working!

Any hints, suggestions or advice would be most gratefully received!

cheers,
        Alasdair
--
Alasdair McAndrew

School of Communications and Informatics     Phone: +61 3 9688 4344
Victoria University of Technology            Fax:   +61 3 9688 4050

Melbourne, Vic 8001, Australia          http://cams.vu.edu.au/~amca

2. Help - failing to boot due to a disk error and fsck seemingly can't fix it.

3. Solaris Volume Manager, Mounting Zip Drive Automatically...

4. Asus Media-Slot with Adaptec 2940UW

5. ATAPI Zip drive-- mount partition 1 or 4????

6. Mounting floppies

7. IDE/ATAPI Zip Drive Mounting Solution (my solution)

8. Can Linux programs run under Solaris ?

9. is freebsd 2.2.6 capable of mounting zip atapi drive

10. ATAPI ZIP drive mounting problems

11. ATAPI Zip in Linux (Was Re: ZIP drive parameters)

12. Automatically mount and umount a ZIP device?

13. Having problems mounting atapi zip