Booting Suse on ProLiant 5500

Post by Christian Leich » Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:05:19

Hello,

i try to boot Suse 9.0 from a Compaq ProLiant 5500. I was able to
install it on the SCSI Drive but i can not boot from it. i have no
chance to run the BIOS Setup on the Maschine.

I anyone out who can tell me how to start the BIO`s configurtation on
that maschine.

F2 dosent work.

Thanks for help

Christian

Post by KR » Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:51:29

> i try to boot Suse 9.0 from a Compaq ProLiant 5500. I was able to
> install it on the SCSI Drive but i can not boot from it. i have no
> chance to run the BIOS Setup on the Maschine.

> I anyone out who can tell me how to start the BIO`s configurtation on
> that maschine.

The ProLiant 5500 doesn't really have a BIOS setup routine, it uses a
program similar to the old EISAConfig, and you're supposed to install
this to a hidden diagnostics partition using SmartStart.

You can then access it by pressing F10 when the cursor flashes in the
upper right hand corner of the screen, just before it boots. It will
then boot from the diagnostics partition.

You probably wiped the partition when you installed SuSE, so you'll need
to boot from the SmartStart CD to access the setup utility.

Post by Christian Leich » Wed, 23 Mar 2005 05:30:58

> The ProLiant 5500 doesn't really have a BIOS setup routine, it uses a
> program similar to the old EISAConfig, and you're supposed to install
> this to a hidden diagnostics partition using SmartStart.

> You can then access it by pressing F10 when the cursor flashes in the
> upper right hand corner of the screen, just before it boots. It will
> then boot from the diagnostics partition.

> You probably wiped the partition when you installed SuSE, so you'll need
> to boot from the SmartStart CD to access the setup utility.

Hello KR

first of all, thank you for the hint about the smartStart. These days
im crawling the web about, an finding a lot of information. Now i can
(re)configurate the "smart" partitions. I find also info on the
Suse/Novell website about this.
Some problems are still there, but for this time i can boot from a
Floppy to give Yast the bootpartition on a IDE drive manualy.
Im testing varios configurations to boot in future from the SCSI Array.

My Problems

1. I can create the RAID Arrays > 4 Drives to 1 Logical Drive or 4
Drives to 4 Logical Drives (all i want). That works fine. But on
SystemStart, after initialling the Controller, the SCSI Controller
finding Logical Devices but doesent find any SCSI Drives.

2. After that i try to boot from a internal IDE Drive (hda). Installing
Suse 9.0 works fine. But Suse cant boot from the Drive. i always must
set the boot partition manual to hda2. And the Suse boot.
Suse tell on the german support database that LILO must set to the root
partion. i do so. But it doesent work.

Thanks for help

Christian

1. Proliant 5500 + Smart Array

Dear all,

I have a Compaq Proliant 5500 machine with a Smart Array controller. I have
Redhat 6.0 and would like to get it working.

I had this working at one point in time with RedHat 5.2 and a custom
boot/root disk set that had the Smart Array driver built into it. I had
heard that 6.0 would have this in the install time kernel, perhaps this
isn't so.

The server boots to the CD and proceeds to load, then gets a vfs kernel
panic message and halts.

Any ideas would be great. It does this from the CD at boot as well as from
a boot disk built from boot.img.

Thanks,

Darren Young

2. Is there Win95 VFAT support?

3. Compaq Proliant 5500 keeps rebooting RH 7.1

4. Basic Compiling Redhat Motif Question

5. Compaq Proliant 5000 and 5500

6. login.conf Classes

7. Couldn't recompile Caldera 2.2 for SMP and built-in SCSI for Compaq Proliant 5500

8. RS/6000s falling like ninepins

9. SMP with COMPAQ Proliant 5500

10. Red Hat v7.0 randomly reboots Proliant 5500

11. no more MTRRs, compaq proliant 5500, RH 7.2

12. Voodoo 5 5500 & Suse 6.4

13. PowerMacintosh 5500 boot problem