ISDN questions

Post by Robert Bergfor » Thu, 09 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Is there really NO way I can send and receive normal fax over ISDN?
There's lots of programs for M$ OS'es, but I have seen none for Linux.
If dos/Win can send analog fax messages over ISDN, then I can't see why
Linux couldn't.
I have an internal ISDN adaptor Teles 16.3, and I am using the Euro-ISDN
protocol (EDSS1), and I have successfully sent and received fax in
dos/win3.11.
I don't know very much about how the ISDN-card actually works, but
somebody said something about a hardware modem emulation on the card, is
this how the faxes are sent in dos?

I am also planning to buy a cheap 486 motherboard as a
ppp/printer/ISDN-log box, but I've heard that the passive ISDN-card uses
much prcessing power, can I run the ISDN card in, say, a 486SX25 with
the basic Linux system installed?

Thank's for any answers

Robert Bergfors

ISDN questions

Post by Alexander Meise » Fri, 10 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> Is there really NO way I can send and receive normal fax over ISDN?
> There's lots of programs for M$ OS'es, but I have seen none for Linux.
> If dos/Win can send analog fax messages over ISDN, then I can't see why
> Linux couldn't.
> I have an internal ISDN adaptor Teles 16.3, and I am using the Euro-ISDN
> protocol (EDSS1), and I have successfully sent and received fax in
> dos/win3.11.
> I don't know very much about how the ISDN-card actually works, but
> somebody said something about a hardware modem emulation on the card, is
> this how the faxes are sent in dos?

> I am also planning to buy a cheap 486 motherboard as a
> ppp/printer/ISDN-log box, but I've heard that the passive ISDN-card uses
> much prcessing power, can I run the ISDN card in, say, a 486SX25 with
> the basic Linux system installed?

> Thank's for any answers

> Robert Bergfors

Hi!

Try isdn4linux.
Have a look at http://www.sfs.nphil.uni-tuebingen.de/home/hipp/isdn/

cu AleX

ISDN questions

Post by Robert Bergfor » Fri, 10 Jan 1997 04:00:00

(SNIP)

Quote:> Hi!

> Try isdn4linux.
> Have a look at http://www.sfs.nphil.uni-tuebingen.de/home/hipp/isdn/

> cu AleX

OK, I already have the isdn4k-utils package and a working ppp over ISDN,
what i really need is to send and receive fax over ISDN. Thanks for the
info anyway.

Robert Bergfors

ISDN questions

Post by Robert Kais » Fri, 10 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>I am also planning to buy a cheap 486 motherboard as a
>ppp/printer/ISDN-log box, but I've heard that the passive ISDN-card uses
>much prcessing power, can I run the ISDN card in, say, a 486SX25 with
>the basic Linux system installed?

I'm using a 486DX33 (16MB) for this purpose. Works fine. ISDN throughput is
acceptable (~7-8 KB/sec). I have been using a 386DX33 for the same purpose
before and it was slightly slower.

1. isdn question

hello  i Have  2 sparc stations sitting next to each other each running
solaris 2.5 server also both have isdn ports is it possible to connect
to via a isdn line

     thanks
        james

2. Trapping Bus error