Which laptop/notebook?

Post by lucret.. » Mon, 19 Jun 2006 12:21:16

Hi,

I'm considering buying a laptop/notebook. I'm new to these machines as
I've always had desktops.

Anyway, I want to buy a new one so that it comes with an official
Windaz (yeah I know), but I'll want to install Gentoo Linux as my main
OS and just boot into Windaz for porting software from Linux.

I've got an nVidia card and an AMD XP CPU in my desktop so was thinking
about a decent ATI and multicore Intel based laptop so that I have
something to test different compiles out on. I'll be using OpenGL,
OpenAL, etc.

I don't want any dodgy shared memory like the Acers have. I do want a
decent amount though (512MB doesn't seem enough on my desktop). Maybe
something that be expanded on.

I would like something not too heavy/big, but robust. I would also like
if possible to have an extra HDD bay for expansion.

I did think about the new Apples, but I'm unsure about those.
Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Luke.

Which laptop/notebook?

Post by ray » Mon, 19 Jun 2006 23:14:19

> Hi,

> I'm considering buying a laptop/notebook. I'm new to these machines as
> I've always had desktops.

> Anyway, I want to buy a new one so that it comes with an official
> Windaz (yeah I know), but I'll want to install Gentoo Linux as my main
> OS and just boot into Windaz for porting software from Linux.

> I've got an nVidia card and an AMD XP CPU in my desktop so was thinking
> about a decent ATI and multicore Intel based laptop so that I have
> something to test different compiles out on. I'll be using OpenGL,
> OpenAL, etc.

> I don't want any dodgy shared memory like the Acers have. I do want a
> decent amount though (512MB doesn't seem enough on my desktop). Maybe
> something that be expanded on.

> I would like something not too heavy/big, but robust. I would also like
> if possible to have an extra HDD bay for expansion.

> I did think about the new Apples, but I'm unsure about those.
> Can anyone help?

> Thanks,
> Luke.

Bought a slightly used 2.0ghz mobile p4 based Gateway last year - good
price. It has a broken video bios, so the only way to get native
resolution was with a commercial driver from Xi graphics - not
recommended. I've had good luck in the past with IBMs.

Which laptop/notebook?

Post by Dances With Crow » Mon, 19 Jun 2006 23:34:23

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 08:14:19 -0600, ray staggered into the Black Sun and
said:

>> I'm considering buying a laptop/notebook.  Anyway, I want to buy a
>> new one so that it comes with an official Windaz

Say what?  Refurbished laptops typically come with a licensed copy of
some sort of 'Doze installed.  You get more for your $ when you buy
refurbished, and since refurbished laptops have been around for longer,
you have a much better chance of everything Just Working in Linux.

Quote:>> I don't want any dodgy shared memory like the Acers have.

Good idea.  Shared video RAM = teh suck.

Quote:>> I would like something not too heavy/big, but robust. I would also
>> like if possible to have an extra HDD bay for expansion.
> I've had good luck in the past with IBMs.

AOL on the IBM thing.  FWIW, all the IBM Thinkpads I've owned (380D,
600X, A22p, T42p) have been built very solidly.  For the weight thing,
generally lower weight = fewer features + more $.  There aren't many
laptops that have "an extra disk bay" that isn't in use, for obvious
reasons.  Generally, if you want to put in another disk, you have to buy
a 2.5" IDE adapter from the manufacturer, put the 2.5" disk in that
adapter, remove the DVD-RW, and insert the adapter.  This may not work
well at all for you, because having a CD-* device is often really
useful.  Hot-swapping between disk and CD-* devices may or may not work;
that depends a lot on the exact make and model of laptop.

The thing I would do is get a list of 5 or 6 models that you think will
work, then go to http://tuxmobil.org/mylaptops.html and look for
installation reports on those models.  If there aren't any, that's a bad
sign.  If there are some, read them.  Then pick the model that has the
fewest problems reported and can be bought refurbished.  YMMV on that
though.  HTH anyway,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /    mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong
http://www.brainbench.com     /    "He is a rhythmic movement of the
-----------------------------/      penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

Which laptop/notebook?

Post by lucret.. » Tue, 20 Jun 2006 00:04:38

Hi,

Well, I've just been looking at the MacBook Pro as I want to be
developing sw for all 3 OSes eventually and triple booting might
actually be a better bet.

Thanks,
Luke.

Which laptop/notebook?

Post by General Schvantzkop » Tue, 20 Jun 2006 00:40:30

> Hi,

> I'm considering buying a laptop/notebook. I'm new to these machines as
> I've always had desktops.

> Anyway, I want to buy a new one so that it comes with an official
> Windaz (yeah I know), but I'll want to install Gentoo Linux as my main
> OS and just boot into Windaz for porting software from Linux.

> I've got an nVidia card and an AMD XP CPU in my desktop so was thinking
> about a decent ATI and multicore Intel based laptop so that I have
> something to test different compiles out on. I'll be using OpenGL,
> OpenAL, etc.

> I don't want any dodgy shared memory like the Acers have. I do want a
> decent amount though (512MB doesn't seem enough on my desktop). Maybe
> something that be expanded on.

> I would like something not too heavy/big, but robust. I would also like
> if possible to have an extra HDD bay for expansion.

> I did think about the new Apples, but I'm unsure about those.
> Can anyone help?

> Thanks,
> Luke.

If you can find one with an Nvidia graphics card you'll have less trouble.
Nvidia does a better job of supporting Linux then ATI does.

I'd also get at least 1G of RAM and preferably 2G. 512 will work but it's
on the low side these days.

Which laptop/notebook?

Post by lucret.. » Tue, 20 Jun 2006 00:58:49

Quote:> > I did think about the new Apples, but I'm unsure about those.
> > Can anyone help?

> > Thanks,
> > Luke.

> If you can find one with an Nvidia graphics card you'll have less trouble.
> Nvidia does a better job of supporting Linux then ATI does.

Well, I'd be after an ATI anyway for the ATI OpenGL extensions. Apple
don't produce MacBook Pro's with nVidia cards anyway.

Quote:> I'd also get at least 1G of RAM and preferably 2G. 512 will work but it's
> on the low side these days.

Yeah, or at least be able to expand on it later. But I doubt that.

Luke.

1. Linux/Laptop-Notebook recommendations?

Hi,
   I'm interested in putting together a Laptop/Notebook system that
will run Linux. I'd like to have an active color display and at least
2 pcmcia slots. I'd also like to have at least 20 Meg of Ram, 340Mb
or greater hard drive and have at least a 486 DX2 processor. I'd
like to receive recommendations as to which laptop system has these
features and can reliably run Linux. Any Input would be greatly
appreciated. Thank you.

   Hard Work and perserverance are more important than raw talent.
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
Keith Alston Lockheed Eng & Sci Co  + There's a less than 5% chance of
MS 130 Nasa LaRC Hampton VA 23666   = tonight and tomorrow

2. Request: XF86Config file for Orchid Kelvin 64 CL5434

3. Laptop, notebook?

4. Any System Calls works like WritePrivateProfilestring?

5. Laptop,Notebook,Red Hat,Zip Drive

6. ipchains -L hangs

7. Unixware on a laptop/notebook

8. sending a mail from AIX to NT

9. laptop/notebook for Linux, OpenGL, nVidia

10. Laptop/Notebook Recommendation

11. Un*x on laptop/notebook

12. Laptop/Notebook for Linux

13. Notebook/laptop recommendation?