NIC installed but not happy

Post by Robert M. Fesinmeye » Thu, 03 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I have a static IP and I've been trying to get linux to connect to
the network.

I've been browsing and finding the usual complaints about NE2000
"compatible" cards (mine's one of the infamous SN2000 ISA varieties).  I
told the installation software of RH 5.2 that I had an SN2000 compatible
card and allowed it to autoprobe.  The "proper" IRQ and I/O were
assigned (proper meaning same as in WinNT, 9 and 0x300) and no error
messages were given during the boot (messages came up attesting to the
installation of the card at eth0 at the proper IRQ and I/O addresses.
Netcfg lists the card as active.  Running ifconfig shows eth0 as having
having numerous  collisions.  Neither ping nor Netscape (nor lynx, nor
traceroute, etc.) get anywhere.  The network card lights remain on steadily,
however when the computer attempts to contact the network (eg ping...) they
flash then return to steady-on.

In addition, an lsmod states that the ne module is installed.  Changing the
card's I/O address (via conf.modules) results in an error during bootup
stating that the card was not found.

Note that this network card (and system, cable, plug, etc.) continue to work
with NT (dual boot).

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Robert (for e-mail responses, just remove the n05pam)

NIC installed but not happy

Post by Danny Will » Fri, 04 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I have a static IP and I've been trying to get linux to connect to
>the network.
>Robert (for e-mail responses, just remove the n05pam)

Everything in your original post suggests that the hardware is OK.
Running ifconfig was good, and it would have been good if you'd
included the printout.

You didn't mention running "route". I'll bet there's a problem with
the routing. If you haven't run route before, try it: it'll
probably show the problem immediately.

--

http://www2.shore.net/~dannyw