45 GB HD - How to get past BIOS limitation?

Post by Gene Montgomer » Sun, 13 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> I purchased a 45 GB Maxtor EIDE UDMA66 drive the other night.  I want
> to install it as a single partition data sump on a machine which
> is already running RH6.2 (kernel 2.2.14), cpu K6-2/400 MHz, 128 MB,
> j-mark J-542B MB with Award BIOS 4.51PG (542B/542BS C02.1) - 3-23-1999.

> I installed RH6.2 on another machine which is currently running a
> 30 MB Maxtor as a single partition, so I know the RH6.2 works up to
> that size.  However, the BIOS on the working machine is  different -
> I think AMI.

> I have chased through the postings on this list, comp.os.linux.setup,
> through www.j-mark.com, www.award.com (now part of phoenix), and
> www.maxtor.com.  Maxtor lays the > 30 MB problem on the BIOS, the
> BIOS mfr says see the MB vendor, and the MB vendor has no clear
> definition that I have been able to access of the requisite fix,
> although they do have a BIOS upgrade - largely undefined.  The
> MB mfr recommends that mere mortals not try to flash the BIOS, that
> they provide the service only for their direct distributors.  Besides,
> I would never flash a BIOS ROM without some indication of what I am
> getting.

> I am not interested in the Award third party BIOS upgrader - I'd
> rather trash the MB and start over with a new one if that becomes
> necessary, rather than go down the path of yet another twist on
> an already flakey situation.

> I am fresh out of info on just what is going on that there is
> a > 30 GB limitation in the BIOS POST, how to get around it so
> that Linux can do its thing.

> I tried the Cylinder Limitation Option jumper shown on the Maxtor
> cheat sheet, and that gets past the POST hang-up, but then
> Maxtor says you MUST use MAXBLAST plus, which takes you to Windoze,
> and down into the murky mist.  There must be a better way....

> Gene Montgomery.

A little added info.  From the mini HOW-TO called Large-Disk, I
note that in addition to the BIOS limitation, there is a Linux
limitation in older kernels.  Does anyone know where the break
comes in?  That is, does 2.2.14 handle disks larger than the 33.8
GB limitation mentioned in the mini-HOWTO?

Wonder when the mini-HOWTO will be updated to reflect the *really*
large disks coming on line these days.  I saw an 80Gig job at Fry's
the other day. We should be breaking the 137 GB barrier RSN.

Gene.

45 GB HD - How to get past BIOS limitation?

Post by Jake » Sun, 13 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> A little added info.  From the mini HOW-TO called Large-Disk, I
> note that in addition to the BIOS limitation, there is a Linux
> limitation in older kernels.  Does anyone know where the break
> comes in?  That is, does 2.2.14 handle disks larger than the 33.8
> GB limitation mentioned in the mini-HOWTO?

I has able to attach/see/access two 75 GB drives using RedHat 6.2,
which I beleive ships with kernel 2.2.14, without any modification
on both the primary and secondary motherboard IDE channels.

ASUS CUV4X motherboard
IBM Deskstar 75 GB
RedHat6.2

I ened up upgrading the kernel to 2.4.0test5 to get it to
work with a RAID controller card though.

Jake

45 GB HD - How to get past BIOS limitation?

Post by Gene Montgomer » Sun, 13 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> > A little added info.  From the mini HOW-TO called Large-Disk, I
> > note that in addition to the BIOS limitation, there is a Linux
> > limitation in older kernels.  Does anyone know where the break
> > comes in?  That is, does 2.2.14 handle disks larger than the 33.8
> > GB limitation mentioned in the mini-HOWTO?

> I has able to attach/see/access two 75 GB drives using RedHat 6.2,
> which I beleive ships with kernel 2.2.14, without any modification
> on both the primary and secondary motherboard IDE channels.

> ASUS CUV4X motherboard
> IBM Deskstar 75 GB
> RedHat6.2

> I ened up upgrading the kernel to 2.4.0test5 to get it to
> work with a RAID controller card though.

> Jake

Thanks, Jake.  I will concentrate on the BIOS limitation,
under the assumption that RH6.2 (2.2.14) has solved the 33.8
GB limitation.

Gene

Post by sideban » Sun, 13 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> > > A little added info.  From the mini HOW-TO called Large-Disk, I
> > > note that in addition to the BIOS limitation, there is a Linux
> > > limitation in older kernels.  Does anyone know where the break
> > > comes in?  That is, does 2.2.14 handle disks larger than the 33.8
> > > GB limitation mentioned in the mini-HOWTO?

> > I has able to attach/see/access two 75 GB drives using RedHat 6.2,
> > which I beleive ships with kernel 2.2.14, without any modification
> > on both the primary and secondary motherboard IDE channels.

> > ASUS CUV4X motherboard
> > IBM Deskstar 75 GB
> > RedHat6.2

> > I ened up upgrading the kernel to 2.4.0test5 to get it to
> > work with a RAID controller card though.

> > Jake

> Thanks, Jake.  I will concentrate on the BIOS limitation,
> under the assumption that RH6.2 (2.2.14) has solved the 33.8
> GB limitation.

> Gene

Gene:

The what the BIOS detects, and what Linux can use are two wholly
different things... Linux goes straight to the drive to determine its'
size and attributes, rather than using the BIOS, so you should be able to
do exactly what you want to do with that 45G drive regardless of what the
BIOS says.

HTH

-SSB

Post by Alberto Gianol » Thu, 17 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> > > I has able to attach/see/access two 75 GB drives using RedHat 6.2,
> > > which I beleive ships with kernel 2.2.14, without any modification
> > > on both the primary and secondary motherboard IDE channels.

> > > ASUS CUV4X motherboard
> > > IBM Deskstar 75 GB
> > > RedHat6.2

> > > I ened up upgrading the kernel to 2.4.0test5 to get it to
> > > work with a RAID controller card though.

> > > Jake

> > Thanks, Jake.  I will concentrate on the BIOS limitation,
> > under the assumption that RH6.2 (2.2.14) has solved the 33.8
> > GB limitation.

> > Gene

> Gene:

> The what the BIOS detects, and what Linux can use are two wholly
> different things... Linux goes straight to the drive to determine its'
> size and attributes, rather than using the BIOS, so you should be able to
> do exactly what you want to do with that 45G drive regardless of what the
> BIOS says.

> HTH

> -SSB

If your BIOS is too old (and hangs when detecting the harddisk), and you are
not
booting from that disk (this was my situation), you can do the following:
just tell
the bios there is no harddisk! (but keep the ide interface active) Once
Linux will
find an active ide interface it will probe it independently, overruling
whatever the
bios says. Of course you have to check which version of fdisk (and
eventually
mount) you are using: RH6.2 was fine for me (IBM deskstar 75GB), while RH6.1

was not.
cheers,

alberto

--
---
Alberto Gianoli - PPE div. bat 32 2-A14, CERN - 1211 Geneve 23, Switzerland

Fax   : 00-41-22-767-8920  |

1. Windows 2000 Professional / WD 45 GB HD / Red Hat 7.1

Hello All.  I have a question about Win2K and Red Hat 7.1.  A friend
of mine wants to install Red Hat on his HD.  The size of the HD is 45
Gb.  He has 10 Gb free that he wants to dedicate to Red Hat.  From
what I have been told by a friend at work when we go through the Red
Hat setup it will show us all of the partitions.  Just pick the 10 Gb
one and delete it and reformat it with Linux.  I have also been
reading that if the partition is farther than the 1024 limit we could
be screwed, but that Red Hat 7.1 has been able go past that.  The
computer is about 4 months old so I am not worried about the BIOS not
being able to handle the special calls.  Sooo.....it is just this easy
or am I going to have to scarifice something to the computer gods for
a smooth night.

Later,
JR

2. Some nice and easy X editor

3. Award BIOS/32 GB disk limitation

4. Webgear Aviator 2.4 Linux and Win98 client help!

5. How to see all of a 45 GB ide disk on an U10 running Solaris 7?

6. blade100

7. Dell 4100 unable to boot after 4.0 install (45 GB disk drive)

8. [Q}: Linux and Apple-Talk/Apple-Share

9. Installing Linux on PC with Old Bios 512MB HD limitations

10. Windows 3.11/ RH 5.1 Linux, one big HD, 486 BIOS limitations, fix please?

11. bios HD size limitation and linux

12. bios 500K HD limitation and stupid drivers

13. 20.4GB HD, bios limitation, EZ-drive or any other?