sndconfig problems

Post by bren » Mon, 28 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm having trouble configuring my sound card (surprise surprise!) and
I've been trying to use the sndconfig program after recompiling the
kernel many times with no success.  Unfortunately, the sndconfig program
keeps giving me modprobe errors.  Are there any other programs like
sndconfig about that I could try or does this error simply mean I need
to upgrade some packages?  Any help would be much appreciated :-)

I have an ES1868 soundcard, red hat 5.0, kernel 2.0.35.

Thanks in advance,

Brendan

1. Soundblaster 16 sndconfig Problem

Hi,

I could not get my Ensoniq Wavetable Sound Card to work in RedHat Linux
5.1 (even though it worked fine in 4.2).  So I got a Soundblaster 16
card and installed that instead.  It's wokring better, but it's still
not quite right.  I can play CDs fine, but I can't seem to get any other
sounds (Doom, RealAudio, .wav files, etc.) to work.  For those other
sounds, I get a variety of error messages suggesting that the IRQ and/or
DMAs are not properly set.  I used RedHat's sndconfig to configure the
card.  In Windows (where everything works fine), the settings are:

        I/O Port - 220
        IRQ - 05
        DMA - 01
        DMA - 03

In the sndconfig tool, it's impossible to choose DMAs 01 and 03 at the
same time--for the 8-bit DMA, I can choose 0, 1, or 3, and for the
16-bit DMA, I can choose 5, 6, or 7.  I have tried it with the 8-bit DMA
as both 1 and 3 (with the 16-bit DMA as 5 in both cases), and I've had
the same problems in both cases.

Do I have to recompile the kernel?  And if so, exactly which options do
I choose?

Thanks,
Morgan

2. Good online source of unix programming for the uniniated

3. sndconfig problems

4. Sending escape codes to printer ???

5. Montego and sndconfig problems with 'make'

6. apache proxy and homepage problem

7. sndconfig problems

8. RewriteMap not allowed here (please help)

9. Running RH51 Sndconfig problem

10. sndconfig problems

11. Solution for SoundBlaster and sndconfig problems

12. Linux SndConfig Problem (Put Music in my Linux)

13. sndconfig problems :(