VESA DPMS support?

Post by Franz Fackelma » Fri, 29 Sep 1995 04:00:00

|> Hello,
|>
|> Does Linux / XFree86 support the VESA DPMS specification?
|>
|> Hardware-HOWTO has a place-holder for this subject but the section
|> does not contain any information so far.
|>
|> From my understanding, DPMS-compliant monitors go into energy saving
|> mode based on whether the Horizontal/Vertical sync signals are turned
|> off.  Since the video controller chip cannot really figure out if there
|> is any user activity on the system console, there has to be some sort
|> of driver software that sits at the higher level (driver, O/S, X
|> server...) to tell the video chip when to turn off the H/V sync so the
|> monitor would go to sleep.
|>
|> Does this driver exist for Linux / XFree86?
|>
|> Thanks,
|> Chung
|> --
|>  -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
|> | Chung Ng        Tel: 310-524-6440 |    AT&T Global Information Solutions    |
|> |                 Fax: 310-524-5517 |    Enterprise Solutions Division        |

Yes. For the console you may use a newer version of setterm, which has an
option "-powersave on". In XFree 3.1 there is an option in the XF86Config
file that enables this feature (in XFree 3.1.1 it didn't work for my
video card: V7 Mirage P64, but in 3.1.2 it works great).

--Franz

 IBM - European Networking Center       Tel.: +49 6221 59-4563

 D-69115 Heidelberg                     VM:   mazvm01(fackel)

VESA DPMS support?

Post by Chung » Fri, 29 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Hello,

Does Linux / XFree86 support the VESA DPMS specification?

Hardware-HOWTO has a place-holder for this subject but the section
does not contain any information so far.

From my understanding, DPMS-compliant monitors go into energy saving

Post by Eric van Ross » Mon, 02 Oct 1995 04:00:00

: |> Does this driver exist for Linux / XFree86?

: Yes. For the console you may use a newer version of setterm, which has an
: option "-powersave on". In XFree 3.1 there is an option in the XF86Config
: file that enables this feature (in XFree 3.1.1 it didn't work for my
: video card: V7 Mirage P64, but in 3.1.2 it works great).

Great, but where can i find this new version of setterm?

        Eric

1. Linux power saving features? (VESA-DPMS)

Hello,

Excuse my ignorance, but I'd like to ask whether it is possible to use the
power saving features of my monitor/PC/graphics card with Linux?  I have not
seen reference to it anywhere.  That it is capable of it I know, since I use
it fine under Windows, but is there anything for Linux?  I use linux-1.2.8 on
a 486DX2... with Philips Brilliance 15A monitor and Tseng Labs ET4000/W32P
card.  I also use XFree-3.11 with fvwm.

I might just say, that with the BIOS settings I can get the monitor to
black-out after a period, but not go into the deep-sleep that it does under
Windows.

Please answer to my email address below, as I seldom have the chance to
examine the Usenet News.

Gratefully,

2. Directory Structure Question

3. X screensavers and VESA DPMS

4. kdeadmin - where is kdat?

5. VESA DPMS power-saving utility, does it exist?

6. Millennium and XFree86 3.2a

7. VESA DPMS suspend & X

8. Can UDP lose packets on the same machine

9. VESA DPMS power savings

10. VESA DPMS Power Management Question

11. VESA DPMS

12. VESA Power Savings Protocol (DPMS) monitors problemsq

13. Enabling Screen "Green" Features (VESA DPMS)