NEWBIE.. Extremely Newbie questions.

Post by Garrie W. McLaws Jr » Sat, 08 May 1999 04:00:00

I have a Kingston KNE100TX and I am unable to make it work.  The
documentation says that it uses the TULIP.C files.  RedHat 5.2 kernel
2.0.X comes with such a file when I install the drivers it partions
itself off my 100Mb network.  If I plug it into a 10Mb hut it stays
partioned off (the autodecetion with the media move doesn't work.. not a
big deal).  If I boot up the machine with it plug into the 10Mb segement
it doesn't partion itself off but it doesn't pick up a DHCP address
either.

Any help.. Kingston offers a TULIP.C file but it has to be compiled into
the Kernel
How do you do that?

Thanks... In Advance
Please reply in a direct e-mail and a post (share the knowlage)
Thanks
Garrie

NEWBIE.. Extremely Newbie questions.

Post by Garrie W. McLaws Jr » Sat, 08 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a Kingston KNE100TX and I am unable to make it work.  The
> documentation says that it uses the TULIP.C files.  RedHat 5.2 kernel
> 2.0.X comes with such a file when I install the drivers it partions
> itself off my 100Mb network.  If I plug it into a 10Mb hut it stays
> partioned off (the autodecetion with the media move doesn't work.. not a
> big deal).  If I boot up the machine with it plug into the 10Mb segement
> it doesn't partion itself off but it doesn't pick up a DHCP address
> either.

> Any help.. Kingston offers a TULIP.C file but it has to be compiled into
> the Kernel
> How do you do that?

> Thanks... In Advance
> Please reply in a direct e-mail and a post (share the knowlage)
> Thanks
> Garrie

Forgot to add... I have a 3Com 3c509BTX that works at 10 but not 100.  It
too partions it self of the 100Mb segment.

Thanks Again
Garrie

Post by Hunter Thoma » Sun, 09 May 1999 04:00:00

> > I have a Kingston KNE100TX and I am unable to make it work.  The
> > documentation says that it uses the TULIP.C files.  RedHat 5.2 kernel
> > 2.0.X comes with such a file when I install the drivers it partions
> > itself off my 100Mb network.  If I plug it into a 10Mb hut it stays
> > partioned off (the autodecetion with the media move doesn't work.. not a
> > big deal).  If I boot up the machine with it plug into the 10Mb segement
> > it doesn't partion itself off but it doesn't pick up a DHCP address
> > either.

> > Any help.. Kingston offers a TULIP.C file but it has to be compiled into
> > the Kernel
> > How do you do that?

> > Thanks... In Advance
> > Please reply in a direct e-mail and a post (share the knowlage)
> > Thanks
> > Garrie

> Forgot to add... I have a 3Com 3c509BTX that works at 10 but not 100.  It
> too partions it self of the 100Mb segment.

> Thanks Again
> Garrie

Well, if you know how to configure, compile and install the kernel, then all
you need to do with the Tulip.c is replace the current one with the new one,
and recompile. Most likely don't even need to reconfigure. However, it sounds
like you may have a larger issure on your hands. Might be time to check with
your sysadmin, and make sure your network configuration is set up right.

Post by Garrie W. McLaws Jr » Sun, 09 May 1999 04:00:00

> > > I have a Kingston KNE100TX and I am unable to make it work.  The
> > > documentation says that it uses the TULIP.C files.  RedHat 5.2 kernel
> > > 2.0.X comes with such a file when I install the drivers it partions
> > > itself off my 100Mb network.  If I plug it into a 10Mb hut it stays
> > > partioned off (the autodecetion with the media move doesn't work.. not a
> > > big deal).  If I boot up the machine with it plug into the 10Mb segement
> > > it doesn't partion itself off but it doesn't pick up a DHCP address
> > > either.

> > > Any help.. Kingston offers a TULIP.C file but it has to be compiled into
> > > the Kernel
> > > How do you do that?

> > > Thanks... In Advance
> > > Please reply in a direct e-mail and a post (share the knowlage)
> > > Thanks
> > > Garrie

> > Forgot to add... I have a 3Com 3c509BTX that works at 10 but not 100.  It
> > too partions it self of the 100Mb segment.

> > Thanks Again
> > Garrie

> Well, if you know how to configure, compile and install the kernel, then all
> you need to do with the Tulip.c is replace the current one with the new one,
> and recompile. Most likely don't even need to reconfigure. However, it sounds
> like you may have a larger issure on your hands. Might be time to check with
> your sysadmin, and make sure your network configuration is set up right.

Thank you for the input Hunter.

The problem is I don't know how to recompile the kernel... as far as the sysadmin
goes, that would be me.  I have the machine dual booting to Win95 as well as
Linux for testing.  The network cards work fine in Win95. So what kind of
information do you folks need inorder to assist me?  I know that this is
something extremely simple that I'm missing I just don't know what.

Thanks Again
Garrie

Post by erich not devnul » Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:00

+ The problem is I don't know how to recompile the kernel... as far as the sysadmin
+ goes, that would be me.  I have the machine dual booting to Win95 as well as
+ Linux for testing.  The network cards work fine in Win95. So what kind of
+ information do you folks need inorder to assist me?  I know that this is
+ something extremely simple that I'm missing I just don't know what.

Read the Kernel-HOWTO:
http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html

Basically, install the source (via ``cd /usr/src ; tar xvzf <wherever-you-put
-your-source-tarball'' or get an rpm if you use redhat) find tulip.c (cd
/usr/src/linux ; find . -name 'tulip.c')  and replace it.

Then go back to the main source directory (cd /usr/src/linux) and
make menuconfig
        to reconfigure your kernel
make dep ; make clean
make zlilo
make modules
make modules_install

--
Erich           | Test your Computer Lore!  What computer has monitor
at wreck.org    | brightness adjustment buttons on the keyboard?

1. Extremely Newbie question stuck on a while loop

What I want to accomplish is to find out if the program pinganator is
running.  Then I want it to sleep for, say, 10 seconds and run it again.
However,  I keep getting a unexpected token 'done'

Here is the very newbie script:

#!/bin/bash
#Define Variables
PROCESS="pinganator"
CONSOLE=/dev/null

while :
        if ps aux | egrep -q $PROCESS
then
        echo "Process is running"

else
        echo "Process is Not Running" | sleep 10
done

2. vi editor FAQ (Frequently Asked Question List), Part 2/2

3. Extremely newbie programming question.

4. Looking for NCR 53c8xx PCI SCSI HBA

5. Help! Booting error (extremely newbie question)

6. How to name file with date

7. Newbie newbie newbie

8. kerberos ticket format

9. Newbie, Newbie, Newbie... Please be patient with me

10. Extremely Good Help for Newbies!!! Read This!

11. extremely newbie: typedef error

12. Extremely GOOD Help for NEWBIES: READ THIS

13. Extremely newbie (programming)