Gateway 2000 System Components

Post by d.. » Wed, 04 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I have ordered a gw2k system. I'll spare the details, I am concerned with the
soundcard and modem that ship with the system.

The modem is the TelePath 33.6 for Windows. Is this one of the "junk" models
that have been discussed in recent articles? In other words will it work with
Linux?

The soundcard with the system is the Ensoniq wavetable. Is this supported by
Linux?

Please respond with e-mail as well as a repost. I sometimes don't get back to
the newgroup in time to get responses.

Thanks in advance for any support/answers....

John Bales

Gateway 2000 System Components

Post by jba.. » Wed, 04 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Sorry about the double post. I forgot to configure my personal info on this
system!

Post by John Bal » Thu, 05 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>Sorry about the double post. I forgot to configure my personal info on this
>system!

>I have ordered a gw2k system. I'll spare the details, I am concerned with the
>soundcard and modem that ship with the system.

>The modem is the TelePath 33.6 for Windows. Is this one of the "junk" models
>that have been discussed in recent articles? In other words will it work with
>Linux?

>The soundcard with the system is the Ensoniq wavetable. Is this supported by
>Linux?

>Please respond with e-mail as well as a repost. I sometimes don't get back to
>the newgroup in time to get responses.

>Thanks in advance for any support/answers....

>John Bales

Thanks for the e-mail responses!

I hate to keep posting my own replies here, but I have answered many of my own
questions. I think it important to post this information for others that may
have similar Gateway systems or hardware.

The soundcard is the Ensoniq Soundscape. This card is listed in the Sound
HOW-TO as a card that *IS* supported. There was no small print to be found. I
guess that means it will work native in Linux.

The modem I have had a more difficult time with. I guess I will have to wait
and see. The specs I found (on Gateways web site) do not give the indication
that a specialized windows only chip-set is used. It does say that it supports
3.1x and 95. I would think that it is a "real" modem since many of the so
called niceties of win95 would not be available under 3.1x. If all else fails
I'll just buy a "real" modem!

Thanks,
//

John Bales
Electronic Data Systems (EDS)
"System Administration: It's a dirty job, but someone said I have to do it!"

Gateway 2000 System Components

Post by Tom Shiel » Fri, 06 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I would look at Gateways Windows NT compatibility chart they have on
line.  They don't recommend the win-modem for use with NT, so I would
assume that it won't work with Linux either.  I plan to buy an external
modem to get the indicator lights, a Multitech probably.

--
Tom Shield
Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics

http://www.aem.umn.edu/people/faculty/shield/

1. Problems with GATEWAY 2000 486-66 PCI SYSTEM

I just recently purchased a Gateway 2000  486-66MHz PCI
system and would like to run LINUX on it.  I have a
Mitsumi CD-ROM drive with it, and purchased the current
linux quarterly on CD-ROM.  From this I tried to install
the Slackware release of linux.  The problem I am
encountering is that when I try to run FDISK I get an
error:  cannot read /dev/hda  or  /dev/hdb  respectively

I am using the PCI IDE controller that came with the system,
with a MAXTOR 540MB drive and a Western Digital 500MB caviar
drive.

Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Greg Gelles

2. mmap'd file ends with '!', copy doesn't

3. Gateway 2000 P5-90 system: Mouse problems--which type-HELP!!!!!

4. configuring email correctly

5. Gateway 2000 laptop w/Gateway SCSI PCMCIA

6. dip at 14.4??

7. SANE 2000 - May 22-25, 2000 (2nd Int'l System Administration & Networking Conference)

8. Tcl/Tk compiled for ELF somewhere ?

9. how to put a file from a unix system to a windows(2000) system ?

10. Help with X on Gateway 2000

11. Windows 2000 clients can't obtain gateway from Linux server