Configuring XWindows

Post by T. Buc » Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:00:00

What is the command to for starting the XWindows configurator.  I have
Linux loaded on a machine and when I run startx, Xwindows starts up but
then locks up.  I'm guessing I have something configured wrong.  Any
other ideas?

T. Buck.

Configuring XWindows

Post by DanH » Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> What is the command to for starting the XWindows configurator.  I have
> Linux loaded on a machine and when I run startx, Xwindows starts up but
> then locks up.  I'm guessing I have something configured wrong.  Any
> other ideas?

> T. Buck.

XF86Setup

Dan
--
UNIX - Not just for vestal *s anymore
Linux - Choice of a GNU generation

Configuring XWindows

Post by news.ufl.ed » Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:00:00

..depending on the install (RedHat, Caldera, etc...) you may not have
XF86Setup installed.  Try Xconfigurator or xf86config and good luck!

Post by Thomas Zaj » Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> ..depending on the install (RedHat, Caldera, etc...) you may not have
> XF86Setup installed.  Try Xconfigurator or xf86config and good luck!

XF86Setup ist part of the standard XFree86 package (it's in Xset.tgz),
I doubt any distributor would be stupid enough to remove it manually
on purpose.

Thomas
--
=-------------------------------------------------------------------------=
- Thomas Zajic  <thomasDOTzajicATtelewebDOTat>  Linux-2.0.38/slrn-0.9.5.7 -

Configuring XWindows

Post by Thomas Zaj » Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> ..depending on the install (RedHat, Caldera, etc...) you may not have
> XF86Setup installed.  Try Xconfigurator or xf86config and good luck!

XF86Setup is part of the standard XFree86 package (it's in Xset.tgz),
I doubt any distributor would be stupid enough to remove it manually
on purpose.

Thomas
--
=-------------------------------------------------------------------------=
- Thomas Zajic  <thomasDOTzajicATtelewebDOTat>  Linux-2.0.38/slrn-0.9.5.7 -
-  "It is not easy to cut through a human head with a hacksaw."  (M. C.)  -
=-------------------------------------------------------------------------=

Configuring XWindows

Post by Spik » Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> What is the command to for starting the XWindows configurator.  I have
> Linux loaded on a machine and when I run startx, Xwindows starts up but
> then locks up.  I'm guessing I have something configured wrong.  Any
> other ideas?

xf86config for the standard one, XF86Setup for a GUI.
Also, in SuSE you can use SaX, or in Red Hat XConfigurator...

|    Andrew Halliwell BSc   |     I can SMELL!!!  KRYTEN!!! Unpack Rachel    |
|             in            |     and get out the puncture repair kit!"      |
|      Computer Science     |        Arnold Judas Rimmer- Red Dwarf          |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e++ h/h+ !r!|  Space for hire  |

Configuring XWindows

Post by J. » Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> What is the command to for starting the XWindows configurator.  I have
> Linux loaded on a machine and when I run startx, Xwindows starts up but
> then locks up.  I'm guessing I have something configured wrong.  Any
> other ideas?

> T. Buck.

Xconfigurator

Configuring XWindows

Post by Alex » Fri, 19 Nov 1999 04:00:00

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999 17:35:25 -0600, T. Buck

>starting the XWindows configurator.  I have Linux loaded on a machine and
>when I run startx, Xwindows starts up but then locks up.  I'm guessing I
>have something configured wrong.  Any other ideas?

To start the Xwin configurator type:

Xconfigurator

It's hard to say what your problem may be. Have you got any warnings on the
screen?
Take a look at /var/log/messages; it usually has information on what's going
wrong in the system.

Configuring XWindows

Post by Rex » Sun, 21 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Run "setup" if you are using Redhat or Redhat-based to reconfigure your
display card and monitor.
Run "XF86Config" for other versions.
Check whether your display card is supported, if no, choose 16-color or mono
xserver.

> > What is the command to for starting the XWindows configurator.  I have
> > Linux loaded on a machine and when I run startx, Xwindows starts up but
> > then locks up.  I'm guessing I have something configured wrong.  Any
> > other ideas?

> > T. Buck.

> Xconfigurator

Configuring XWindows

Post by Joe » Wed, 24 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Obviously, you're card is not supported or you haven't installed the X
server for your card. The first step is to get the h/w details of your
card and then copy the X server to your system and running Xconfigurator.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com