actiontec call waiting pci modem

Post by Curtis Hancoc » Sat, 22 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Can someone please clearly instruct me ( I'm a new user ) on how to
configure an actiontec pci call waiting modem in a step by step process? I
am using Caldera Openlinux 2.3

I am desperately in need of assistance.

Post by wayne ratt » Tue, 08 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Can someone please clearly instruct me ( I'm a new user ) on how to
> configure an actiontec pci call waiting modem in a step by step process?
> am using Caldera Openlinux 2.3

> I am desperately in need of assistance.

> --

The first thing you need to do is find out what i/o port your modem is
using.Log in as root .Pull up a typing window.Type cat /proc/pci (HIT
ENTER)This will bring up a list of your hardware devices and their i/o
ports.Next scroll down untill you find your modem.Find the first i/o below
it and write it down.Mine for example is 0xf800.Now type this exactly as I
have, spaces, capital s and all.setserial /dev/ttyS3 port 0xf800 spd_vhi
skip_test auto_irq autoconfig (HIT ENTER)IMPORTANT! Replace the 0xf800
with the i/o number you wrote down earlier.Next type setserial /dev/ttyS3
uart 16550A (HIT ENTER)Now go to kppp and set the port for ttyS3.Query the

actiontec call waiting pci modem

Post by Steven Michael ROBBI » Wed, 09 Feb 2000 04:00:00

[posted and mailed]

Quote:> [how to set up Actiontec internal call-waiting PCI modem]

Hello Wayne + COLH,

I recently bought one of these modems.  I had no real trouble setting
up the modem using a sequence of commands similar to what you posted.

I was able to get it connecting reliably at 44000.

My problem is this: at frequent intervals, the modem *completely*
locks up, during a connection.  At one moment, I'm fine, happily
downloading a file.  Then suddenly, the link freezes: no data flows in
nor out on the PPP link (according to dctrl --- I'm using diald).  The
PPP log file shows "No response to 4 echo-requests" then "Serial link
appears to be disconnected".  At this point, the modem is sometimes
off-hook, and sometimes not.

It's making me completely nuts!

I have a couple of questions:

1) has anyone seen similar problems with actiontec modems?  is there a
   cure?

2) how does one RESET a PCI modem when it gets in such a state?  the
   only thing I know how to do at this point is turn off the power!
   i*ed around a bit with setpci, but nothing jumped out at me

Thanks,
-Steve

Post by WanSLenowsk » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> [posted and mailed]

> > [how to set up Actiontec internal call-waiting PCI modem]

> Hello Wayne + COLH,

> I recently bought one of these modems.  I had no real trouble setting
> up the modem using a sequence of commands similar to what you posted.

> I was able to get it connecting reliably at 44000.

> My problem is this: at frequent intervals, the modem *completely*
> locks up, during a connection.  At one moment, I'm fine, happily
> downloading a file.  Then suddenly, the link freezes: no data flows in
> nor out on the PPP link (according to dctrl --- I'm using diald).  The
> PPP log file shows "No response to 4 echo-requests" then "Serial link
> appears to be disconnected".  At this point, the modem is sometimes
> off-hook, and sometimes not.

> It's making me completely nuts!

> I have a couple of questions:

> 1) has anyone seen similar problems with actiontec modems?  is there a
>    cure?

> 2) how does one RESET a PCI modem when it gets in such a state?  the
>    only thing I know how to do at this point is turn off the power!
>    i*ed around a bit with setpci, but nothing jumped out at me

> Thanks,
> -Steve

I have the same modem.  I know that when I used the auto-configure option
things didn't work so well.
The modem would get locked in at 24k.  I turned PNP on in the BIOS and
was able to set the modem to
an irq.  I also have done a little reading (very little,  skimming more
likely) in the serial howto's and the auto_irq
isn't recommended for regular use.  I think it depends on how your
motherboard handles irq 0.  Make sure
you have an irq on the modem in /proc/pci and set it to that.  After that
I have had absolutely no problems.

Post by Steven Michael ROBBI » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> > My problem is this: at frequent intervals, the modem *completely*
> > locks up, during a connection.  At one moment, I'm fine, happily
> > downloading a file.  Then suddenly, the link freezes: no data flows in
> > nor out on the PPP link (according to dctrl --- I'm using diald).  The
> > PPP log file shows "No response to 4 echo-requests" then "Serial link
> > appears to be disconnected".  At this point, the modem is sometimes
> > off-hook, and sometimes not.
> I have the same modem.  I know that when I used the auto-configure option
> things didn't work so well.
> The modem would get locked in at 24k.  I turned PNP on in the BIOS and
> was able to set the modem to
> an irq.  I also have done a little reading (very little,  skimming more
> likely) in the serial howto's and the auto_irq
> isn't recommended for regular use.  I think it depends on how your
> motherboard handles irq 0.  Make sure
> you have an irq on the modem in /proc/pci and set it to that.  After that
> I have had absolutely no problems.

Hi, thanks for the note.

I'm not sure I understand your response.  Are you talking about how to
fix a problem of low connect speed, or a problem of the modem locking
up while connected?

My problem is *not* one of having a low connect speed.  I am able to
reliably connect at v.90 speeds (44k).  My system runs 'setserial' at
boot time, and I believe the irq is set explicitly (to 11).  I'll
check this again when I get home, and look into the HOWTOs.

My problem is that *after* connecting, the modem link just freezes.
No data is transferred.  Since it is an internal modem, I can't check
the blinking lights (!) so I have no real idea where the problem lies.
Are you saying that this happened to you before, and that explicitly
setting an irq cured the problem?

-Steve

1. Actiontec Call Waiting 56K PCI V92 Modem

Hi all...  Has anyone been able to get the new actiontec PCI modem
working with mgetty and vgetty.  I am having some strange problems with
both.  When mgetty and vgetty are started from inittab they will not
pick up the phone correctly.  I see mgetty sending ATA, but it get's no
response.  vgetty says that it can't pick up the phone.

When I try to run them from the command line, they seem to work for the
most part.  vgetty has some problem with the voice compression.  Still
investigating that.

What is the difference between the command line and the inittab?

Oh ya, if I kill the vgetty process that was started from inittab, it's
never able to communicate properly with the modem again...  I have to
restart the system.

If there are any specific details you think you might need that I left
out just let me know.

I just downloaded the latest mgetty release today...

Thanks,
Kevin

2. 2.4 ReiserFS rename bugfix

3. Actiontec 56k internal PCI Call-Waiting modem.

4. Netscape 3.0 thru SOCKD?

5. Actiontec 56K Call Waiting Modem V92 PCI

6. /var/mail permissions

7. Actiontec modem (was Re: Call Waiting Modems / Low Connect Speeds)

8. How to use UserDir directive in CERN WWW Server

9. Actiontec External Call Waiting Modem

10. Actiontec Call Waiting Modem Troubles on Mandrake

11. actiontec call waiting PCI modem--HELP ANYONE? (segmentation fault)

12. Actiontec pci modem