Which accelerated video card for least hassles?

Post by Don Dettk » Thu, 23 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>I need to decide which acclerated video card I should purchase for a LINUX box that I am
>putting together.  From watching the comp.os.linux.x newsgroup I see that somebody has has a
>problem with pretty much any card.  Is there any card out there that gives people the least
>hassles in getting X working in decent modes.
>Right now I am leaning towards ATIMACH64.  Other options are #9 and Diamond.
>Does anyone recommend these cards for a trouble free setup?

I might have considered the MACH64, too -- if I didn't have one at work.
It seems to perform comparably to my three year old S3-805 based card.
It doesn't come close to my STB Velocity (S3-968 and 220MHz IBM RAMDAC).
While there are people having problems with just about every video card
on the market, most of the problems could be solved by reading the docs.
XFree86 is a breeze to set up for the Velocity.  You need version 3.1.2
and you should check README.S3 for the only option you need that isn't
completely obvious.  Other cards that may, or may not, be as easy to set
up, but should perform comparably, are the Diamond Stealth64 (the version
with a 220MHz RAMDAC) and the #9 Motion 771.  I chose the Velocity over
them because it costs $25 to $50 less, and I'd been happy with my previous
STB card.  Another bonus is that the Velocity has a lifetime warranty.

BTW, how many posts have you seen on problems with the Velocity?  ...
I don't recall ANY!

--
Don Dettke,  Software Engineering Consultant

Post by Eoin Campbe » Fri, 24 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>Hi
>>I need to decide which acclerated video card I should purchase for a LINUX box that I am
>>putting together.  From watching the comp.os.linux.x newsgroup I see that somebody has has a
>>problem with pretty much any card.  Is there any card out there that gives people the least
>>hassles in getting X working in decent modes.
>>Right now I am leaning towards ATIMACH64.  Other options are #9 and Diamond.
>>Does anyone recommend these cards for a trouble free setup?

The current version of the ATI Mach 64 is not supported under XFree86
at the moment, as apparently a chip revision in the summer broke it.
The X Inside X server does work tho'.

74 Harolds Cross Road, Dublin 6W, IRELAND

1. Which accelerated video card for least hassles?

For ease of setup I highly recommend purchasing AcceleratedX from
Xinside for $99.  It supports just about every graphics card out there,
usually at the card's highest resolutions and deepest colormaps.  If
the price isn't a problem for you, this will free you to buy just about
any card you want.  I purchased a Matrox Millenium and am very happy
with it in 1280x1024x24-bit color (when I can afford a monitor which
supports it I'm going to switch to 1600x1200x24-bit color, but that's a
long while off yet ...).  For me the $99 purchase was worth it just for the
time saved on installation -- the 24-bit color and high resolution, and
the choice of any card I wanted to buy really clinched it for me, though.

Hope this helps,

Jean.
--
Jean Liddle                           | DISCLAIMER:  "The twisted and, yes,

                                      | (necessarilly) reflect those of my
                                      | employer, nor of any other human being."
 -------------------------------------+----------------------------------------
When you go out strolling through the world you do not have the "right not to
be offended" by the values and cultures of other peoples/countries/religions.
        -- internet user, on Republican-proposed internet censorship

2. when directory last changed

3. Which accelerated card video card to buy ?

4. Hiding cursor w/fvwm

5. What monitor gives least hassles?

6. Tuning 2.3 to correct Mutex Stalling

7. which video cards are the least trouble ?

8. Different directory sizes

9. Video card recommendation (1280x1024 24bit depth running Accelerated-X)

10. HELP:Accelerated video card driver..

11. 3d video card with open-source accelerated drivers?

12. Velocity 128 accelerated video card

13. Accelerated Video Card Drivers