Dual CPU Problem - IBM PC365

Post by Capitalwar » Mon, 18 Feb 2002 13:30:46

Help,

I have an IBM 365 (6589-18U) PC with a fresh install of RH 7.2. My
problem is not really with RH but rather with the hardware.

The motherboard supports dual Pentium Pro 200 CPUs.  So, I went out and
bought a used Pentium Pro CPU (200).  The docs states that after you
insert the CPU into the second CPU socket, on boot-up, you will receive
an error "162" on entering the CMOS.  The docs states to just save and
exit from the CMOS and all will be fine.

But I don't get the error "162" and when I look at the System Summary in
the CMOS, under Dual Process it has "Not Installed".

Note: The second CPU does work because I tried it out in the Primary CPU
socket and the PC booted just fine.

So, my question is, "How do I get the IBM PC365  to recognize the second
CPU?".

Thanks
Roger...

Dual CPU Problem - IBM PC365

Post by Capitalwar » Mon, 18 Feb 2002 14:39:20

Oh, one more thing that I noticed.  When I boot-up the PC with the second
CPU installed, after 5 minutes, if I touch the each CPU's heat-sink, the
Primary CPU is hot but the secondary CPU is cool.

This makes me think that I need to set a jumper on the motherboard.

Any help would be appreciated.

later
Roger...

> Help,

> I have an IBM 365 (6589-18U) PC with a fresh install of RH 7.2. My
> problem is not really with RH but rather with the hardware.

> The motherboard supports dual Pentium Pro 200 CPUs.  So, I went out and
> bought a used Pentium Pro CPU (200).  The docs states that after you
> insert the CPU into the second CPU socket, on boot-up, you will receive
> an error "162" on entering the CMOS.  The docs states to just save and
> exit from the CMOS and all will be fine.

> But I don't get the error "162" and when I look at the System Summary in
> the CMOS, under Dual Process it has "Not Installed".

> Note: The second CPU does work because I tried it out in the Primary CPU
> socket and the PC booted just fine.

> So, my question is, "How do I get the IBM PC365  to recognize the second
> CPU?".

> Thanks
> Roger...

Dual CPU Problem - IBM PC365

Post by Pawel Rutkowsk » Mon, 18 Feb 2002 19:53:18

Maybe You should switch on APIC(Advance Programe Interrupt Controler) on
jumpers or in BIOS??

Pawel R.

> Oh, one more thing that I noticed.  When I boot-up the PC with the second
> CPU installed, after 5 minutes, if I touch the each CPU's heat-sink, the
> Primary CPU is hot but the secondary CPU is cool.

> This makes me think that I need to set a jumper on the motherboard.

> Any help would be appreciated.

> later
> Roger...

> > Help,

> > I have an IBM 365 (6589-18U) PC with a fresh install of RH 7.2. My
> > problem is not really with RH but rather with the hardware.

> > The motherboard supports dual Pentium Pro 200 CPUs.  So, I went out and
> > bought a used Pentium Pro CPU (200).  The docs states that after you
> > insert the CPU into the second CPU socket, on boot-up, you will receive
> > an error "162" on entering the CMOS.  The docs states to just save and
> > exit from the CMOS and all will be fine.

> > But I don't get the error "162" and when I look at the System Summary in
> > the CMOS, under Dual Process it has "Not Installed".

> > Note: The second CPU does work because I tried it out in the Primary CPU
> > socket and the PC booted just fine.

> > So, my question is, "How do I get the IBM PC365  to recognize the second
> > CPU?".

> > Thanks
> > Roger...

Dual CPU Problem - IBM PC365

Post by Christopher Brown » Tue, 19 Feb 2002 00:42:40

Quote:> I have an IBM 365 (6589-18U) PC with a fresh install of RH 7.2. My
> problem is not really with RH but rather with the hardware.

> The motherboard supports dual Pentium Pro 200 CPUs.  So, I went out and
> bought a used Pentium Pro CPU (200).  The docs states that after you
> insert the CPU into the second CPU socket, on boot-up, you will receive
> an error "162" on entering the CMOS.  The docs states to just save and
> exit from the CMOS and all will be fine.

> But I don't get the error "162" and when I look at the System Summary in
> the CMOS, under Dual Process it has "Not Installed".

> Note: The second CPU does work because I tried it out in the Primary CPU
> socket and the PC booted just fine.

> So, my question is, "How do I get the IBM PC365  to recognize the second
> CPU?".

With those sorts of units, you don't just need the CPU; you also
likely need an extra "voltage regulator," termed a "VRM."
--

http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/unix.html
"Programming today  is a race  between software engineers  striving to

Dual CPU Problem - IBM PC365

Post by John-Paul Stewar » Tue, 19 Feb 2002 05:12:01

> Help,

> I have an IBM 365 (6589-18U) PC with a fresh install of RH 7.2. My
> problem is not really with RH but rather with the hardware.

> The motherboard supports dual Pentium Pro 200 CPUs.  So, I went out and
> bought a used Pentium Pro CPU (200).  The docs states that after you
> insert the CPU into the second CPU socket, on boot-up, you will receive
> an error "162" on entering the CMOS.  The docs states to just save and
> exit from the CMOS and all will be fine.

> But I don't get the error "162" and when I look at the System Summary in
> the CMOS, under Dual Process it has "Not Installed".

> Note: The second CPU does work because I tried it out in the Primary CPU
> socket and the PC booted just fine.

> So, my question is, "How do I get the IBM PC365  to recognize the second
> CPU?".

> Thanks
> Roger...

Officially (according to Intel) SMP operation requires
matching CPUs.  That is, they need to be of exactly the same
stepping in order to be used in an SMP system.  Some
motherboards will operate with CPUs whose steppings are off
by one or two versions.  It's possible that the BIOS is
detecting mis-matched CPUs and is therefore disabling the
second one.  Just something else to look into....

Dual CPU Problem - IBM PC365

Post by Capitalwar » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 11:23:19

Hi,

After much research, I realize that I need to buy and install a VRM.

Thanks
Roger...