Modem suggestions please?

Post by Felwyn » Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:05:57

I just converted to SuSE Linux from windows this weekend.  Everything
has been going well with the transition.  Heck, it even recognized and
set up my old soundblaster awe 64 ISA!  The only problem is my modem.

Since my modem is old anyway, I was going to buy a new one.  Any
suggestions as to brands?  I would like to get one that Linux will
recognize as I am still quite new to the o/s.

Also, I have a Thinkpad with the dreaded MWAVE.  I am not even going
to bother trying based on my google searches.... Any suggestions as to
a PMCICA (whatever the letters are) modem that would work well?

Thanks for any, and all help.  Based on my experiences so far, I am
never going back to windows.  It may sound weird, but I feel free now!

John

Modem suggestions please?

Post by Ken Der » Wed, 20 Aug 2003 01:36:22

> I just converted to SuSE Linux from windows this weekend.  Everything
> has been going well with the transition.  Heck, it even recognized and
> set up my old soundblaster awe 64 ISA!  The only problem is my modem.

> Since my modem is old anyway, I was going to buy a new one.  Any
> suggestions as to brands?  I would like to get one that Linux will
> recognize as I am still quite new to the o/s.

> Also, I have a Thinkpad with the dreaded MWAVE.  I am not even going
> to bother trying based on my google searches.... Any suggestions as to
> a PMCICA (whatever the letters are) modem that would work well?

> Thanks for any, and all help.  Based on my experiences so far, I am
> never going back to windows.  It may sound weird, but I feel free now!

> John

For an internal PCI modem, I have a US Robotics 5610B which works fine.

--
Ken Dere

Modem suggestions please?

Post by baskitcais » Wed, 20 Aug 2003 07:43:32

> I just converted to SuSE Linux from windows this weekend.  Everything
> has been going well with the transition.  Heck, it even recognized and
> set up my old soundblaster awe 64 ISA!  The only problem is my modem.

> Since my modem is old anyway, I was going to buy a new one.  Any
> suggestions as to brands?  I would like to get one that Linux will
> recognize as I am still quite new to the o/s.

> Also, I have a Thinkpad with the dreaded MWAVE.  I am not even going
> to bother trying based on my google searches.... Any suggestions as to
> a PMCICA (whatever the letters are) modem that would work well?

> Thanks for any, and all help.  Based on my experiences so far, I am
> never going back to windows.  It may sound weird, but I feel free now!

> John

The best way is to get and external serial modem almost all work ( not used
one that did not but could be wrong ) have got 2 diamond supra expresses here
and they both are fast and reliable, best thing is they are easily connected
to other machines for testing.

--
Mark
Twixt hill and high water.

Modem suggestions please?

Post by Felwyn » Wed, 20 Aug 2003 09:29:27

> > I just converted to SuSE Linux from windows this weekend.  Everything
> > has been going well with the transition.  Heck, it even recognized and
> > set up my old soundblaster awe 64 ISA!  The only problem is my modem.

> > Since my modem is old anyway, I was going to buy a new one.  Any
> > suggestions as to brands?  I would like to get one that Linux will
> > recognize as I am still quite new to the o/s.

> > Also, I have a Thinkpad with the dreaded MWAVE.  I am not even going
> > to bother trying based on my google searches.... Any suggestions as to
> > a PMCICA (whatever the letters are) modem that would work well?

> > Thanks for any, and all help.  Based on my experiences so far, I am
> > never going back to windows.  It may sound weird, but I feel free now!

> > John

> The best way is to get and external serial modem almost all work ( not used
> one that did not but could be wrong ) have got 2 diamond supra expresses here
> and they both are fast and reliable, best thing is they are easily connected
> to other machines for testing.

Oh!  Thanks.  I had not thought of trying an external modem.  I shall
look into that!

John

Modem suggestions please?

Post by wolan » Wed, 20 Aug 2003 11:07:30

> I just converted to SuSE Linux from windows this weekend.  Everything
> has been going well with the transition.  Heck, it even recognized and
> set up my old soundblaster awe 64 ISA!  The only problem is my modem.

> Since my modem is old anyway, I was going to buy a new one.  Any
> suggestions as to brands?  I would like to get one that Linux will
> recognize as I am still quite new to the o/s.

> Also, I have a Thinkpad with the dreaded MWAVE.  I am not even going
> to bother trying based on my google searches.... Any suggestions as to
> a PMCICA (whatever the letters are) modem that would work well?

> Thanks for any, and all help.  Based on my experiences so far, I am
> never going back to windows.  It may sound weird, but I feel free now!

> John

I have an IBM laptop and got the MWAVE modem running initially but gave up
after it broke a couple of times during kernel updates. Bought a generic
PCMCIA modem card from www.compgeeks.com for $17 and it runs fine. If your
PCMCIA is configured correctly, it is no problem for it to see the card.
Just make sure you stay away from Winmodem cards.

Modem suggestions please?

Post by baskitcais » Wed, 20 Aug 2003 16:34:13

>> The best way is to get and external serial modem almost all work ( not used
>> one that did not but could be wrong ) have got 2 diamond supra expresses
>> here and they both are fast and reliable, best thing is they are easily
>> connected to other machines for testing.

> Oh!  Thanks.  I had not thought of trying an external modem.  I shall
> look into that!

> John

Don`t know what I had been smoking last night only excuse is it was late so
sorry about the grammar, linux runs serial modems just fine and they do
appear to run faster than internals, on slower machines they also help by not
having to use the cpu at all as they are self contained, also by testing I
was thinking about what I use them for :- testing other machines that are
brought in with duff modems, a lot easier than having to rip the case open
and install a new card to test if it is hardware or software prob, just plug
one on a serial port and away you go :)