Hayes Accura 56K external modem recently became poor in downloading data

Hayes Accura 56K external modem recently became poor in downloading data

Post by 走向共和For the Sake of the Republi » Tue, 25 May 2004 10:08:01

Scholars,

If I connect to the Internet using IBM laptop with builtin Lucent
winmodem, connection and downloading of data are ok.

But when I dialup with Hayes Accura 56K external modem using Athlon
desktop, I can connect but downloading is poor and erratic.  most of the
time, I can't download.

Both are of the same telephone line.   I have tried under winxp and
Linux 2.4.22 kppp dialer for the Hayes but result is the same- poor.

Previously my Hayes had no such problem.  As my desktop is near the
balcony with sun shining in during afternoon, issit possible the heat
and the sunlight damaged the modem?  I have shifted the position of the
modem to away from the sunlight now.

Thanks

Post by 走向共和For the Sake of the Republi » Tue, 25 May 2004 10:49:51

If I connect to the Internet using IBM laptop with builtin Lucent
winmodem, connection and downloading of data are ok.

But when I dialup with Hayes Accura 56K external modem using Athlon
desktop, I can connect but downloading is poor and erratic.  most of the
time, I can't download.

Both are of the same telephone line.   I have tried under winxp and
Linux 2.4.22 kppp dialer for the Hayes but result is the same- poor.

Previously my Hayes had no such problem.  As my desktop is near the
balcony with sun shining in during afternoon, issit possible the heat
and the sunlight damaged the modem?  I have shifted the position of the
modem to away from the sunlight now.

Thanks

Hayes Accura 56K external modem recently became poor in downloading data

Post by Buyle Jerom » Wed, 26 May 2004 01:19:56

Well I don't know much about modems, but I think that external modems
use some sort of optical transmission system to separate the phone line
side circuit from the computer side circuit.  At least that's the way it
was in the couple (older) modems I've taken apart in my life.

Considering this, and since you say the modem's been exposed to lots of
heat/light, I'd say that it's probably the modem that's passed the way.
  You just don't make it very clear if you've tried the modem again,
away from the light, or not.  Give it one last try in the dark tonight ;-)

Well, it could be worse.  I mean, some things are more expensive than a
56k these days :-)

J.

Quote:> If I connect to the Internet using IBM laptop with builtin Lucent
> winmodem, connection and downloading of data are ok.

> But when I dialup with Hayes Accura 56K external modem using Athlon
> desktop, I can connect but downloading is poor and erratic.  most of the
> time, I can't download.

> Both are of the same telephone line.   I have tried under winxp and
> Linux 2.4.22 kppp dialer for the Hayes but result is the same- poor.

> Previously my Hayes had no such problem.  As my desktop is near the
> balcony with sun shining in during afternoon, issit possible the heat
> and the sunlight damaged the modem?  I have shifted the position of the
> modem to away from the sunlight now.

> Thanks

Hayes Accura 56K external modem recently became poor in downloading data

Post by 走向共和For the Sake of the Republi » Wed, 26 May 2004 06:50:36

I have placed the modem in a position that is away from the sun.  tried
it a few times already both under linux and winxp. still no downloads
but can connect.

Quote:

>  You just don't make it very clear if you've tried the modem again, away
> from the light, or not.  Give it one last try in the dark tonight ;-)

but it's a Hayes modem.  one can't get a Hayes analog modem nowadays.  : /
Quote:> Well, it could be worse.  I mean, some things are more expensive than a
> 56k these days :-)

Hayes Accura 56K external modem recently became poor in downloading data

Post by baskitcais » Wed, 26 May 2004 15:00:19

????For the Sake of the Republic adjusted his tin foil beanie and
asbestos underwear to write:

Quote:> I have placed the modem in a position that is away from the sun.
> tried it a few times already both under linux and winxp. still no
> downloads but can connect.

This may be way off the mark here but before I got broadband I had/have
a Supra express memory modem that had worked flawless for about 4 years
here and all of a sudden one day it would not connect at anything
higher than 28k, there was nothing done to the modem it was connected
to a server that fed my lan, the server had not been touched for weeks.

I tried everything I could think of, connected direct to various
machines and o/s`s all with the same result, turned off then on, reset
to factory defaults, added/subtracted init strings, tried about
everything to correct it with no good result and came to the conclusion
( after about a week of trying ) that it was borked.

Replaced it with another modem and forgot about it but a couple of weeks
later I found it again and thought at least I could use it just for the
answer-machine and fax use all of a sudden it was working again at 56k,
maybe it just wanted a longer rest with no power and completely
disconnected.

Might or might not help but just a thought.

--
Mark
Iligitimi Non Carborundum!