Future Domain TMC-850 scsi card?

Post by Morgan Jon » Fri, 27 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I have recently aquired a Future Domain TMC-850MNEC & NEC CDR-510.
The scsi HOW-TO indicates thatt there is support for that card.  I
can't seem to find it.  Is there a module?  I am running 2.0.7.

I would be thrilled if someone could point me in the right direction.

thanks.

-morgan
--

        http://thunder.ocis.temple.edu/~mjones01
resume: http://thunder.ocis.temple.edu/~mjones01/resume.html

Post by tenthu.. » Sat, 28 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> I have recently aquired a Future Domain TMC-850MNEC & NEC CDR-510.
> The scsi HOW-TO indicates thatt there is support for that card.  I
> can't seem to find it.  Is there a module?  I am running 2.0.7.

> I would be thrilled if someone could point me in the right direction.

> thanks.

> -morgan
> --

This particular card is supported by the seagate driver (don't ask my
why). Just build a kernel with that driver (along with the other scsi
stuff).

Is a CDR-510 a cdrom? I have a Chinon cdrom drive and I had to edit
drivers/scsi/Makefile to remove "-DARBITRATE" from the seagate.o line.
You may have to do the same.

Good luck.

Post by Eric Chan » Sat, 28 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>The scsi HOW-TO indicates thatt there is support for that card.  I
>can't seem to find it.  Is there a module?  I am running 2.0.7.

Hi Morgan.  Read the HOWTO more carefully.  You need to compile the kernel
to support the card, then use the tmc8xx=... boot parameter to get it
recognized.  If you still have trouble, e-mail me.  There are a few
glitches, even in the new kernel.

Eric

Post by Steve Bro » Tue, 01 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>I have recently aquired a Future Domain TMC-850MNEC & NEC CDR-510.
>The scsi HOW-TO indicates thatt there is support for that card.  I
>can't seem to find it.  Is there a module?  I am running 2.0.7.

>I would be thrilled if someone could point me in the right direction.

I purchased a TMC-840 board this summer (no on board BIOS) and have been
trying to get the damn thing to work.  I slapped a kernel with seagate.c
compiled in on a boot disk.  I can get linux to recognise the card, but
not the attached drive.  Do I need to specify the drive geometry or
something strange like that?  I have tried flipping the bits as mentioned
in seagate.c, but it still doesn't recogise the drive.

steve
--
steve

Post by Chris Underhi » Wed, 02 Oct 1996 04:00:00

: >I have recently aquired a Future Domain TMC-850MNEC & NEC CDR-510.
: >The scsi HOW-TO indicates thatt there is support for that card.  I
: >can't seem to find it.  Is there a module?  I am running 2.0.7.
: >
: >I would be thrilled if someone could point me in the right direction.
:
: I purchased a TMC-840 board this summer (no on board BIOS) and have been
: trying to get the damn thing to work.  I slapped a kernel with seagate.c
: compiled in on a boot disk.  I can get linux to recognise the card, but
: not the attached drive.  Do I need to specify the drive geometry or
: something strange like that?  I have tried flipping the bits as mentioned
: in seagate.c, but it still doesn't recogise the drive.

I have a similar card (a tmc-841) with no BIOS chip, and it works fine
under Linux, except with WORM disks. In order to get it to work, I had to
modify seagate.h in /usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi. This involved:

(i)    Swapping the STAT_CD and STAT_MSG values,
(ii)   Adding the following lines to seagate.h

#define CONTROLLER SEAGATE
#define OVERRIDE 0xca000
#define IRQ 5

And then recompiling the kernel using the Seagate driver.

The override value gives the memory address and the IRQ the interrupt level.
These are set by jumpers on the card itself. The values I use are the default
settings that come with the card. The base address jumpers are located
immediately below the SCSI controller chip. W1 is the jumper closes to the
BIOS slot, i.e. the furthest away from the card's holding bracket.

According to the manual, the memory address used by the card is

Address     Jumper W1   Jumper W2
0xca000       OFF          OFF
0xc8000       OFF          ON
0xce000       ON           OFF
0xde000       ON           ON

I think the IRQ level is set by jumpers W3 and W4 either IRQ3 or 5, though
the manual I have doesn't confirm this - I think I found this out by
experimentation :-) These are the pair of jumpers below the memory address
jumpers, just above the motherboard connector.

Hope this helps,

Chris.

1. Future Domain TMC-850 scsi card

I have a very simple system I am trying to set up as an "ix" box - 1 3.5
inch floppy, one hard drive (scsi, 640 megs, 100megs partitioned for DOS
and the rest for linux), Cirrus video card, floppy & serail controller,
and the Future Domain card for the hard drive and a NEC CDR-25 cd rom. I
have Debian, Caldera Lite, Red Hat, and Slackware. None have recognized
my SCSI card, either on startup or during probes. What helps
tremendously is the Red Hat dialog box, which has just a flashing
cursor  and NO EXAMPLES or any kind of explanation of the format it
wants you to input the info in. Bios finds the card, it works great
under DOS and Windows (in the last computer setup), and it is still set
for factory defaults, but the probes find nothing. Does anybody out
there have a TMC-850 setup running so he can let me know what brand
wizard's hat to buy?

Jim Daldry

PS.  If you aren't using this card, or haven't set up a system using
this one, please don't answer. I've tried a BUNCH of "generic" answers.

2. X-Windows with ET6000

3. Linux & Future Domain SCSI card TMC-850

4. pppd not activating modem

5. Help, Future Domain SCSI TMC-850 NOT WORK!

6. How to exclude dirs from tar-backup?

7. Linux, SCSI CD-ROM, and Future Domain tmc-850 problems

8. compatable?

9. Future Domain TMC-850 SCSI Adapter

10. Future Domain TMC-850 and seagate.o

11. Future Domain TM-830 & TMC-850

12. Still having problems: TMC-850 scsi card...

13. TMC-850 scsi card...missing block devices