HP CD-Writer Plus 7570i (CD-RW)

Post by Scott Priga » Mon, 05 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Anyone had any experience with this HP CD-Writer Plus 7570i  ??  I am
thinking about putting it in place of regular CD-Rom on new system..
SuSE database indicates "cdwriter" works for 8110 CDRW model.

Does the kernel support basic CD-ROM functioning through IDE . . .  and
then one needs software for writing disks?

--

WEB >>       http://www.iwaynet.net/~prigan/
---

HP CD-Writer Plus 7570i (CD-RW)

Post by killbil » Tue, 06 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Anyone had any experience with this HP CD-Writer Plus 7570i  ??  I am
> thinking about putting it in place of regular CD-Rom on new system..
> SuSE database indicates "cdwriter" works for 8110 CDRW model.

I am not positive about the 7570i, but I have not heard of any newer HP
IDE ReWriters not being supported.  You are likely fine, but check the
cdrecord home page (more on this later) to be sure.

Quote:> Does the kernel support basic CD-ROM functioning through IDE . . .

Sort of.  The IDE devices actually use scsi emulation (not as odd as it
sounds, ATAPI is actually SCSI commands being sent over an IDE bus).  It
is a reasonable simple setup, but it does involve a kernal rebuild.  You
then have what appears to be a SCSI cdrom device file for your IDE CD,
that works like any other CD-Rom device.

Quote:> then one needs software for writing disks?

Exactly.  You will probably use cdrecord (see www.freshmeat.net) for the
basic disk writing.  XCDRoast is another great package that puts a nice
gui on top of the cdrecord tool, although it had a few minor bugs last
time I looked at it.

I would also humbly suggest a tool I wrote, backburner (also on
freshmeat), for use creating backups of any and all of your native and
non-native disk partitions.

Good Luck, CDRW drives are a wonderfully flexible tool.

--

--"I believe, what I believe, has made me what I am.  I did not make
   it, It is making me, it is the very truth of God, not the invention

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/