UPS (Battery Backup System Tripp Lite BC-750LAN) Help

UPS (Battery Backup System Tripp Lite BC-750LAN) Help

Post by Chuck Hawk » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I just bought a used (read - Bad Battery in unit) Tripp Lite BC-750LAN.

It does not have a serial (9 or 25 Pin) connector. It does have a short
cable with 3 wires in it. According to the fornt panel, it had a stereo
type plug and the ring/sleeve would close on low battery and the
tip/sleeve is open with UPS on.

Anyone have any experience with hooking this unit to a linux boxen?

Also, as for a battery, anyone have a recommendation for using a
RV/Marine Deep Cycle for this unit instead of the expensive 12v40AH
sealed lead acid. I can remote the battery outdoors in a battery box
(less then 2 feet from where the UPS would be located). I'm just not
sure how to convert Cold Cranking Amps to Anp Hours (if it can be done).

Thanks in advance.

Chuck

--
Chuck Hawks
Greenfield, TN, USA-NA

Post by Tony Plat » Sun, 29 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>I just bought a used (read - Bad Battery in unit) Tripp Lite BC-750LAN.

>It does not have a serial (9 or 25 Pin) connector. It does have a short
>cable with 3 wires in it. According to the fornt panel, it had a stereo
>type plug and the ring/sleeve would close on low battery and the
>tip/sleeve is open with UPS on.

>Anyone have any experience with hooking this unit to a linux boxen?

>Also, as for a battery, anyone have a recommendation for using a
>RV/Marine Deep Cycle for this unit instead of the expensive 12v40AH
>sealed lead acid. I can remote the battery outdoors in a battery box
>(less then 2 feet from where the UPS would be located). I'm just not
>sure how to convert Cold Cranking Amps to Anp Hours (if it can be done).

>Thanks in advance.

Gday Chuck, I think if you shop around you will find UPS batteries are not
actually that dear

I repaced one in a unit I have (it holds three) and it only cost me $39.95
for it......loads cheaper than a marine battery that you are talking
about........

Tony Platt

UPS (Battery Backup System Tripp Lite BC-750LAN) Help

Post by chuck_ha.. » Wed, 15 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Thanks Tony,

I found 2 12V/20HA for cheap at a yardsale this
last weekend. I figure that the smaller current
rating won't make much of a difference, when all
I'll do is to shut the linux box down. Shouldn't
that long a time

Thanks for the reply

Chuck\

In article

Quote:> >I just bought a used (read - Bad Battery in

unit) Tripp Lite BC-750LAN.
Quote:

> >It does not have a serial (9 or 25 Pin)

connector. It does have a short
Quote:> >cable with 3 wires in it. According to the

fornt panel, it had a stereo
Quote:> >type plug and the ring/sleeve would close on
low battery and the
> >tip/sleeve is open with UPS on.

> >Anyone have any experience with hooking this

unit to a linux boxen?
Quote:

> >Also, as for a battery, anyone have a

recommendation for using a
Quote:> >RV/Marine Deep Cycle for this unit instead of

the expensive 12v40AH
Quote:> >sealed lead acid. I can remote the battery

outdoors in a battery box
Quote:> >(less then 2 feet from where the UPS would be

located). I'm just not
Quote:> >sure how to convert Cold Cranking Amps to Anp

Hours (if it can be done).
Quote:

> >Thanks in advance.

> Gday Chuck, I think if you shop around you will

find UPS batteries are not
Quote:> actually that dear

> I repaced one in a unit I have (it holds three)

and it only cost me $39.95
Quote:> for it......loads cheaper than a marine battery

that you are talking

Quote:> about........

> Tony Platt

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. Tripp-Lite BC PRO 450 UPS

Has anyone used a Tripp-Lite BC PRO 450 UPS with linux?  I've put together the
following setup from the UPS-HOWTO and genpower's docs, but it's still not
working correctly.

linux 2.0.21
genpower1.0.1
80386 with a generic serial port on a card

DB-9 cable:
UPS side                serial port side
3   o---|---------------o   1 (DCD)
       10K
        |---------------o   7 (RTS)
       10K
6   o---|---------------o   8 (CTS)

1   o-------------------o   5 (GND)

2   o------- 100K ------o   4 (DTR)

4   o-------------------o   9 (RI)

genpower.h setup:
Type                    tripp-nt
cable power             {TIOCM_RTS, 0}
inverter kill           {TIOCM_DTR, 1}
inverter kill time      5
power check             {TIOCM_CTS, 1}
Battery check           {TIOCM_CAR, 1}
cable check             {0, 0}

This setup is supposed to work with the Tripp-Lite LAN system, will it also
work with the BC PRO?  The BC PRO uses the LAN 2.1 system, and the pins on
the DB-9 connector are correct with the above cable, i.e.:
pin 3: powerfail
pin 6: low batt
pin 1: common negative
pin 2: inverter shutdown +
pin 4: inverter shutdown -
(from the manual for the BC PRO)

When I start the genpower program, it immediately tries to shutdown due to
a bad cable signal passed to the genpowerfail script, then after cancelling
that shutdown, it runs fine.  When I hit the "test" button on the UPS to
kill power (without the PC connected to the 110volt) genpower shuts down the
system with the SCRAM signal, meaning Batt power is low.  Batt power was
not low though, and never showed low on the front panel lights of the UPS.

I tried the gentest program, RTS has to be set, DTR must not be set.

If anyone can spot the error in the above setup, I'd appreciate a response
post haste, the system is sitting at 9000 feet near Tucson and the monsoon
season un-officially started today.  I expect power to fail approx every
other day for the next month or two.  (big thunder boomers out here)
Thanks.

Abram Young                  Room:       PAS-367
Dept. of Physics             Voice:      520.621.6802

2. HELP! Lockup during install...CD-ROM problem?

3. Help: Connect Tripp-Lite UPS

4. What is the file /proc/kcore ?

5. powerd and a Tripp Lite UPS Help Needed!

6. Longtime user but Kernel newbie questions (GW66V,AHA2842,mount)

7. Tripp-Lite UPS ,powerd.. Anyone got them talking?

8. Figured out multi IPs on single adapter - but uses strange broadcast address

9. Tripp-Lite UPS with USB communication fails on RH Linux V9

10. My Experience with a Tripp Lite UPS

11. UPDATE: My Experience with a Tripp Lite UPS

12. Help with battery backup/UPS

13. Looking UPS Battery Backup with software for Linux