USB causing hang during BIOS POST

Post by Mark » Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:51:43

My system has developed a strange quirk.  During the POST routine to size
and test the system RAM, the system will hang unless I disconnect my
Smartmedia reader that is attached thru a USB port.  Once the OS is up,
whether it be WinXP or RedHat 8, I can re-attach the reader and it works
fine.

I also have a USB scanner, tracball mouse, and Palm Pilot hotsync cradle.
The problem first appeared after I installed a new DVD-R/W drive.
Originally, it was the scanner that caused the hang, but by moving cables
around, it is now the reader that causes the hang.

Now for specific questions:  does anyone have any ideas as to what could
be doing this?  I would like to look at the BIOS code itself, but don't
know how to dump/debug code at a fixed memory location.  Once linux is up,
is it still possible to examine the BIOS?  Does BIOS still begin at
0xffff0?

--
MarkA
(still caught in the maze of twisty little passages, all different)

1. Restarting from Linux causes BIOS to hang

I've installed Linux 2.0.33 (Slackware) and have run into a problem
where if I do a soft reboot from Linux, my PC (a NEC Versa 6030 laptop)
my PC hangs, prior to (or during) the BIOS checks.  I can't view the
setup, because the lockup seems to occur before it looks for any
keystrokes.  Net result is, I have to power off my PC in order to reboot
it.  Not a big problem, but an annoyance.  Has anyone else seen this or
am I relegated to chasing down my BIOS manufacturer for info?

Thanks,
Erik

2. Problems installing Slack 3.0 on 486dx 120 with 8mb ram

3. USB optical mouse on laptop causes bk12 boot to hang

4. genunix error reading symbols

5. Unplugging usb wireless card causes linux to hang

6. Mounting problems

7. Alpha personal workstation hangs during POST - help

8. Accessing lineine.net (PPP)

9. Linux RH 7.2 compiling new stock 2.4.7.10, hangs on USB during boot

10. RH 8.0 hangs during installation of packages and during installation.

11. [USB] Oops during reload of usb-uhci (maybe bluetooth related???)

12. usb-ohci.c: usb-00:14.0, PCI device 10b9:5237 Hang in installation Redhat8

13. USB-ehci_hcd hangs after copying >100MB from USB HDD