HPLJ4l lp init: no lp devices found

Post by Jason Wa » Tue, 01 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I've compiled my Linux 1.2.3 kernel with parallel support, but I keep getting
the "lp init: no lp devices found" message  at boot time.   I've read the
Printing-HOWTO faq, it doesn't help.  Has anyone else had this problem?  If so
any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jason Watt
E-Mail at:

Home Page at:
URL-http://www.primenet.com/~watt

Post by Mark P. Nels » Wed, 02 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: I've compiled my Linux 1.2.3 kernel with parallel support, but I keep getting
: the "lp init: no lp devices found" message  at boot time.   I've read the
: Printing-HOWTO faq, it doesn't help.  Has anyone else had this problem?  If so
: any help would be appreciated.
: Thanks
: ____________________________________________________________________

Jason:

When you did make config on the kernel, did you answer no to PLIP as well as
yes to parallel printer support?  Do you have a recent parallel cable with
full bi-directional support?  Do you have lp0 and/or lp1 in /dev?

These are the first questions that come to mind.  I have an HPLJ4L at home
which works fine.  The printing how-to was of limited help.

--
Mark P. Nelson
Programmer/Analyst II        --        First you program, then you analyze.

1. lp-init: no lp devices found

Suddenly, I find myself facing that message on each boot.  Since
this is during the boot, this seems to say that Linux can't see the
port.  I believe the port and printer to be fine as they are working
under OS/2.

But, as the printer (HP LJ4) does staircase printing when it is
connected under Linux, maybe this is God's way of taking care of
that problem.

However, if you have any suggestions, please post them.

Thanks

2. Linux and Cable Modems

3. Starting lpd: Warning - lp: cannot stat lp device '/dev/lp0'

4. Solaris base server 2.4 (x86)

5. lp: driver loaded but no devices found

6. Problem with PIII processor

7. lp: no devices found...

8. web site does not load on client PC but is fine on gateway

9. lp device not found in kernel 1.1.59

10. Printer devices /dev/lp* not found

11. lp_init: no lp devices found on boot

12. No lp devices found

13. Zip100/lp - no device found.