Hardware Diagnostics

Post by Greg » Sat, 29 Apr 2006 20:46:03

Also posted on I.redhat

Hi, i'm running FC4 2.16 i386 on a 1.8 Celeron with 512mg ram.

Recently I noticed that my Gigabyte DVD reader/writer was having trouble
reading dvds, after ruling out the possibility that the disc might be
faulty, is it possible that there might be a componant of the drive that
is malfunctioning?

I want to know if there are any diagnostic tools installed or can
download to check if the drive is faulty or not?

Many Thanks,
Greg

Hardware Diagnostics

Post by Gran » Sat, 29 Apr 2006 20:53:11

>Recently I noticed that my Gigabyte DVD reader/writer was having trouble
>reading dvds, after ruling out the possibility that the disc might be
>faulty, is it possible that there might be a componant of the drive that
>is malfunctioning?

Optics + dust --> failure over time.  Compare reading stamped vs
burnt DVDs?

Grant.
--
Memory fault -- brain fried

Hardware Diagnostics

Post by Robert Gluec » Sun, 30 Apr 2006 02:54:23

> Also posted on I.redhat

> Hi, i'm running FC4 2.16 i386 on a 1.8 Celeron with 512mg
> ram.

> Recently I noticed that my Gigabyte DVD reader/writer was
> having trouble reading dvds, after ruling out the
> possibility that the disc might be faulty, is it possible
> that there might be a componant of the drive that is
> malfunctioning?

> I want to know if there are any diagnostic tools installed
> or can download to check if the drive is faulty or not?

> Many Thanks,
> Greg

I'm also on the lookout for a good CD/DVD-RW drive
diagnostics program.

You may find something here:

http://www.cdrom-guide.com/cgi/Ultimate.cgi/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Also, if you have a Dell computer, among their support CD's
you may find a comprehensive diagnostics program that among
other hardware will put your DVD-ROM drive through its
paces.  Other manufacturers may include similar support on
their OS CD's.

Robert