Serial-to-serial (or parallel-to-parallel) wireless?

Serial-to-serial (or parallel-to-parallel) wireless?

Post by Eugene Aniki » Wed, 09 Jul 1997 04:00:00

The story begins like this:

  I have one old slow laptop and one new fast desktop. One day I was
thinking about connecting 'em together. Of course, I can get several
pieces of wire and solder 'em to the couple of DB-9's and start pppd.
Or even worse, get many pieces of wire and start plip.
But I think that it ain't no fun walking around the house on a leash
like a dog :-)
  So ... the idea was born: It would be cool to have a wireless
NULL-modem connection. I am sure that it is quite possible to make such
a beast and I'd try to do it myself, but I was wondering if someone have
already done it?
  Unfortunately, the laptop does not have a modem or any PCMCIA
slots ... I have to forget about simple modulation or wireless
ethernet :-(

 Ideas anyone????? Or maybe someone heard about such a thing existing?

Eugene.
--
Eugene Anikin                 http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/anikin

Cascade Design Automation   - one easy step from Language to Layout

Post by Kalevi Hautanie » Thu, 10 Jul 1997 04:00:00

: The story begins like this:

:   I have one old slow laptop and one new fast desktop. One day I was
: thinking about connecting 'em together. Of course, I can get several
: pieces of wire and solder 'em to the couple of DB-9's and start pppd.
: Or even worse, get many pieces of wire and start plip.
: But I think that it ain't no fun walking around the house on a leash
: like a dog :-)
:   So ... the idea was born: It would be cool to have a wireless
: NULL-modem connection. I am sure that it is quite possible to make such
: a beast and I'd try to do it myself, but I was wondering if someone have
: already done it?
:   Unfortunately, the laptop does not have a modem or any PCMCIA
: slots ... I have to forget about simple modulation or wireless
: ethernet :-(

I do not know about wireless, but I'm using D-Link DE620 pocket
adapter on my old Compaq LTE 386s (25 MHz SX with 6 Mb)
succesfully. That pocket adapter connects to printerport of the laptop
and works beautifully under Linux and Win3.11.

--
Kalevi J Hautaniemi,      Marjatankatu 12,     33730 Tampere,  FINLAND.
******  http://www.sci.fi/~khmi/  *******  On air:  OH3FG, KO4BC ******

Serial-to-serial (or parallel-to-parallel) wireless?

Post by John Cusic » Fri, 18 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Just one facet of the diamond known as Amateur Radio. Check out the
HAM-HOWTO. The cpabilities are already built in to the Linux kernel and
off the shelf and kit products are available. Pick up a copy of QST at
your local full service magazine emporium.