SiS 6326 and SiS 5597 driver problems with X

SiS 6326 and SiS 5597 driver problems with X

Post by G Hargreave » Wed, 16 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Sorry for posting to more than one group.

I have installed RedHat 6.1 and Correl Linux on two machines,
with a SiS 5597 and SiS 6326 video card respectively. Both machines
have encountered the same problem. The card is detected OK but during
the test phase (RedHat Xconfigurator) the background is great but the
text is displayed as black blocks - totally unreadable. Correl Linux
does the same thing, but it has more problems. When trying to run
XF86Config, the display shows black and white vertical stripes and then
hangs.

With RedHat 6.1, I have tried editing XF86Config file and using
vga16 driver and 640x480 resolution, but the problem remains.

Has anyone else encountered this problem with SiS drivers?

Thanks
Geoff

Post by Richard G Brow » Wed, 16 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> text is displayed as black blocks - totally unreadable.

> Has anyone else encountered this problem with SiS drivers?

I had my text displaying as black blocks when I used the 3.3.3.1 X server
for my 8mb 6326 card. I found that specifying 4mb in /etc/X11/XF86Config
(rather than 8mb) seemed to fix this. I haven't used XConfigurator or
XF86Setup so I don't know if there's anyway to try this using them.

Richard.

Post by Paul Winkle » Wed, 16 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> > text is displayed as black blocks - totally unreadable.

> > Has anyone else encountered this problem with SiS drivers?

I **HIGHLY** recommend upgrading to XFree86 3.3.6
I don't know if RPMs are out yet, but it's not too hard to follow
the directions to install binaries; it should only take ten minutes
or so once you have all the files you need. go to www.xfree86.org
and look around.

I have a generic AGP card based on the SiS 6326.
With X 3.3.3, the only way I was able to prevent the problem you
describe was to put this line:

Option  "no_bitblt"

...into my XF86Config, in the Device section. Without that I would
get weird corrupted displays that seemed to only be fixed by a
reboot. Adding no_bitblt worked much better, but it made things run
REALLY slow - MUCH slower than my old system that had an ATI Rage II
with 1MB of VRAM.

Now that I have Xfree86 3.3.6 installed, I'm finally getting decent
performance out of the card, with no options given in the XF86Config
file, and no more black text-block problems. There are a few minor
glitches that come and go; I'm still trying to fine-tune those away,
but at least there's no disastrous problems like before. The window
redrawing speed is quite reasonable now.

One oddity: the server refuses to see that the card has 8192 kB
memory; it reports 4096, even if I try to force it with the VideoRam
option.

................    paul winkler    ..................
slinkP arts:   music, sound, illustration, design, etc.
A member of ARMS    ----->    http://www.reacharms.com
or http://www.mp3.com/arms or http://www.amp3.net/arms
personal page   ---->    http://www.ulster.net/~abigoo

Post by Daniel-Marian Baboi » Tue, 22 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Sorry for posting to more than one group.

> I have installed RedHat 6.1 and Correl Linux on two machines,
> with a SiS 5597 and SiS 6326 video card respectively. Both machines
> have encountered the same problem. The card is detected OK but during
> the test phase (RedHat Xconfigurator) the background is great but the
> text is displayed as black blocks - totally unreadable. Correl Linux
> does the same thing, but it has more problems. When trying to run
> XF86Config, the display shows black and white vertical stripes and then
> hangs.

I used a SiS6326 with RH 6.1. I had the same problem. I solved it by
playing with the options in /etc/X11/XF86Config, section "Device". My
current configuration has:

Option "no_accel"
Option "no_imageblt"

These solved my problem.

Daniel-Marian Baboiu

SiS 6326 and SiS 5597 driver problems with X

Post by Scot » Thu, 24 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Are you using the latest version of XF86Config?  I've got an integrated
SIS5597.  I'm not on Linux now, but the SVGA part of XF86Config did not work
in any versions after the one that came with RH 6.1 (black boxes instead of
text).  So even though I updated the other portions of X, I kept the
original video.  Then I tried the latest version that just came out, and it
worked, even with the newest video components.  I got it off that
freshmeat.net (I think that's the name).

Sorry my message isn't very specific , but I don't remember the exact names
of everything.

Scott

Post by zuggzu » Fri, 25 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Yes.  I had the same problems.  My solution on the 6326 was to change
the 8MB video ram to 4MB in XF86Config.  I can't explain why it didn't
work with 8, but it does work now with 4.

Quote:>Sorry for posting to more than one group.

>I have installed RedHat 6.1 and Correl Linux on two machines,
>with a SiS 5597 and SiS 6326 video card respectively. Both machines
>have encountered the same problem. The card is detected OK but during
>the test phase (RedHat Xconfigurator) the background is great but the
>text is displayed as black blocks - totally unreadable. Correl Linux
>does the same thing, but it has more problems. When trying to run
>XF86Config, the display shows black and white vertical stripes and then
>hangs.

>With RedHat 6.1, I have tried editing XF86Config file and using
>vga16 driver and 640x480 resolution, but the problem remains.

>Has anyone else encountered this problem with SiS drivers?

>Thanks
>Geoff

SiS 6326 and SiS 5597 driver problems with X

Try using XFree86 rel 3.3.6 (latest): functioned for me!

Post by Ed Wilt » Thu, 02 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> I have installed RedHat 6.1 and Correl Linux on two machines,
> with a SiS 5597 and SiS 6326 video card respectively. Both machines
> have encountered the same problem. The card is detected OK but during
> the test phase (RedHat Xconfigurator) the background is great but the
> text is displayed as black blocks - totally unreadable. Correl Linux
> does the same thing, but it has more problems. When trying to run
> XF86Config, the display shows black and white vertical stripes and then
> hangs.

That's a known problem.  The easiest fix (that I've found) is to go to
SuSe's ftp site and grab the sis.rpm file (I believe it's changed names,
so you may have to hunt around a bit).  I'm running their driver, and
it's snappy and bug-free.  With some tweaking of the XF86Config file,
you can make your config work, but it will still be slow.

--
Ed Wilts
Mounds View, MN, USA