CDRW wont mount - says no media found

Post by MM » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 12:44:23

I installed linux Suse 8.1 with my Plextor 40X12X40 drive.  I see it found
when linux boots.
It shows it loaded it with the scsi driver. ?

When I put a disk in and try to read the disk or write to a disk it says -
(ERROR NO MEDIA FOUND)  now what's that all about.  I click mount drive and
I get the same error.

2cents-
I would like to learn how to run linux and the ins and outs but its gettig a
bit ridiculous.  I cant even use my damn computer with this OS.  Just error
after error.I am totally frustrated with this.  I cant see Linux going
mainstream ever with all the bugs it has.

any ideas

CDRW wont mount - says no media found

Post by Dances With Crow » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 13:33:53

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 20:44:23 -0700, MM staggered into the Black Sun and
said:

Quote:> I installed linux Suse 8.1 with my Plextor 40X12X40 drive.  I see it
> found when linux boots.  It shows it loaded it with the scsi driver. ?

Yes, IDE CD-RWs must use ide-scsi emulation for things to work properly.
For more than you ever wanted to know about how CD-RWs work under Linux,
point your browser at
file:/usr/share/doc/howto/en/html/CD-Writing-HOWTO-1.html or
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html .

Quote:> When I put a disk in and try to read the disk or write to a disk it
> says - (ERROR NO MEDIA FOUND)  now what's that all about.

/dev/cdrom is probably pointing to the wrong place.  It should be a
symbolic link to /dev/scd0 (the first SCSI CD-ROM drive) but it wouldn't
surprise me if it were a symbolic link to /dev/hdc (secondary master IDE
device).  If you do "ls -l /dev/cdrom" and it's pointing to /dev/hdc ,
you can fix it like so:

(execute this command as root:)
   ln -sf /dev/cdrom /dev/scd0

You can only mount CD-R* media that contain a filesystem.  Audio CDs,
Photo CDs, and VCDs cannot be mounted.  To rip audio tracks from audio
CDs, use cdparanoia or a frontend like grip.  To play VCDs, use "mplayer
-vcd /dev/cdrom".

If /dev/cdrom is pointing to the right place and you still can't mount a
data CD, mount may be getting confused about the filesystem type.  The
standard filesystem for data CDs is iso9660, but CD-RWs burned with
Windows/MacOS utilities may use UDF filesystems instead.  For some
reason, iso9660 is typically tried before udf, so you may have to force
the filesystem type with "mount -t udf /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom" if UDF
CD-RWs are not detected correctly.

Writing to a CD-RW is done through the generic SCSI device, *not* the
block device.  You cannot write to /dev/scd0 with a stock kernel; you
must use cdrecord and mkisofs or one of the GUI frontends like XCDRoast,
KreateCD, Gcombust, or CDRToaster.  The HOWTO referenced above contains
much more information on this topic.

Quote:> I would like to learn how to run linux and the ins and outs but its
> gettig a bit ridiculous.  I cant even use my damn computer with this
> OS.  Just error after error.I am totally frustrated with this.  I cant
> see Linux going mainstream ever with all the bugs it has.

> any ideas

Linux works differently than Windows or MacOS does.  SuSE's paper
manuals and online support database are quite good; when you have
problems, look in the paper manuals and the support database before
getting totally frustrated.  Half the time, what you think is a bug is
really the way things are supposed to work, and you are approaching your
problem in a way that is not correct.  It will all make sense
eventually.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

CDRW wont mount - says no media found

Post by Bruce Burhan » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 13:36:38

Quote:> I installed linux Suse 8.1 with my Plextor 40X12X40 drive.  I see it found
> when linux boots.
> It shows it loaded it with the scsi driver. ?

> When I put a disk in and try to read the disk or write to a disk it says -
> (ERROR NO MEDIA FOUND)  now what's that all about.  I click mount drive
and
> I get the same error.

> 2cents-
> I would like to learn how to run linux and the ins and outs but its gettig
> bit ridiculous.  I cant even use my damn computer with this OS.  Just
error
> after error.I am totally frustrated with this.  I cant see Linux going
> mainstream ever with all the bugs it has.

> any ideas

Yes.  Resolve to actually learn something about
computers or go back to Windoze or Mac  and
be an appliance operator.

Of  COURSE  Linux is never going to go mainstream!  If  it did it would be
Windoze.  And
if we wanted Windoze we wouldn't be running
Linux!  Linux is for hackers, and Windoze is for
appliance operators.

And anyone here who disagrees with this  is running Redhat or Mandrake  for
sure!

http://www.ibiblio.org/mdw/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html

Now do your homework and THEN  get back to
us.

This is a frequently-discussed topic on the various
Linux  NGs   but you need to do your homework
in order to understand the answers.  Then you
can search the archives  for the last two weeks
and  find everything you need to know about the
details of the subject.

 http://groups.google.com/groups?group=comp.os.linux

or whatever group.  Go to   Advanced search
at the top.

Good Luck!

Bruce
--
     Bellingham   Washington   USA
     bburhan1    AT   earthlink   DOT  net

Post by Vladimir Florinsk » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 16:48:42

> Yes.  Resolve to actually learn something about
> computers or go back to Windoze or Mac  and
> be an appliance operator.

Are you referring to yourself, Mr. Appliance Operator?

Quote:> X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2600.0000

--

Vladimir

Post by DarkLigh » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 19:36:00

> [...]

> much more information on this topic.

>>I would like to learn how to run linux and the ins and outs but its
>>gettig a bit ridiculous.  I cant even use my damn computer with this
>>OS.  Just error after error.I am totally frustrated with this.  I cant
>>see Linux going mainstream ever with all the bugs it has.

>>any ideas

> Linux works differently than Windows or MacOS does.  SuSE's paper
> manuals and online support database are quite good; when you have
> problems, look in the paper manuals and the support database before
> getting totally frustrated.  Half the time, what you think is a bug is
> really the way things are supposed to work, and you are approaching your
> problem in a way that is not correct.  It will all make sense
> eventually.

> it all depends on the type of cd. If it's a audio cd add your name to the group disks use

 yast2 to do this. then type audiocd:/in konqueror if you brought your vrsion of suse use the

books it came with {page 89 in applications} and {page 93 in basics}
     other wise i dont know

CDRW wont mount - says no media found

Post by jam » Sun, 17 Nov 2002 02:47:56

thanks everyone for your help, i got it working
- the lowly appliance operator
- i just learned how to set the blinking 1200 on my vcr too

Post by Norma » Tue, 19 Nov 2002 18:09:50

>>I installed linux Suse 8.1 with my Plextor 40X12X40 drive.  I see it found
>>when linux boots.
>>It shows it loaded it with the scsi driver. ?

>>I get the same error.

>>2cents-
>>I would like to learn how to run linux and the ins and outs but its gettig

>>bit ridiculous.  I cant even use my damn computer with this OS.  Just

> error after error.I am totally frustrated with this.  I cant see Linux going
>>mainstream ever with all the bugs it has.

I think you will find a much larger percentage of users are becoming frustrated
with WinXP compared to earlier Win versions. This is because Microsoft are
beginning to write a real operating system for once. They still have a long way
to go of course. They are in effect trying to tell hardware manufacturers to
make their hardware suit MS and pay for the privilege and then don't care if
afterwards you have endless reinstall problems and blue screening
rather than the Linux way which tends to say " I will try to get whatever you
have to do a good job and not cause you any more pain after that."
Quote:

> Yes.  Resolve to actually learn something about
> computers or go back to Windoze or Mac  and
> be an appliance operator.

Too true not many end up knowing about computers (except through very
expensive tech courses) if they use MS products.
Quote:

> Of  COURSE  Linux is never going to go mainstream!  If  it did it would be
> Windoze.  And
> if we wanted Windoze we wouldn't be running
> Linux!  Linux is for hackers, and Windoze is for
> appliance operators.

> And anyone here who disagrees with this  is running Redhat or Mandrake  for
> sure!

Well I have installed slackware/debian/Red hat/Suse/ mandrake.
They all seem to have some things they do better than the others. I think it's
probable that Linux will go mainstream as MS and others dig themselves into
the Paladium / Trustworthy computing holes.( Further scams to get your money IMHO)
Businesses will start to say enough is enough we will run our business our way!

Don't give up, it will be worth it.

--

Noose & Head?
Lambs & Slaughter?

http://www.nelliott.co.uk
registered Linux user 277766

CDRW wont mount - says no media found

Post by DarkLigh » Wed, 20 Nov 2002 19:40:20

Its not the os. It might be your motherboard i had the same problems i
had a pc chips motherboard and it was complete shit i changed it to
elitegroup motherboard and it is fine. If you brought your copy of linux
us the manual. If not visit the web site. If you are not willing to put
the work in get rid of it and stay with windows.

> I installed linux Suse 8.1 with my Plextor 40X12X40 drive.  I see it found
> when linux boots.
> It shows it loaded it with the scsi driver. ?

> When I put a disk in and try to read the disk or write to a disk it says -
> (ERROR NO MEDIA FOUND)  now what's that all about.  I click mount drive and
> I get the same error.

> 2cents-
> I would like to learn how to run linux and the ins and outs but its gettig a
> bit ridiculous.  I cant even use my damn computer with this OS.  Just error
> after error.I am totally frustrated with this.  I cant see Linux going
> mainstream ever with all the bugs it has.

> any ideas

1. USB PenDisk mount/umount; mount: No medium found ???

Hello all,
I have bought an Solid State Disk (SSD) with 64MByte (Hamlet Exagerate).
It works nicely on MacOS 9.2 and diverse WindowsX systems.

I have found out how to mount (mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/pendisk). I
supposed that also umount should work.

I unmounted, waited for flashing of the control light to stop, and detached
physically the device. I then attached it again and tried to remount it,
but I get the error: No medium found.

Any idea?

Thanks a lot and have a nice day,

2. Problem with Red Hat CDR Home Made

3. 'mount' say NO iso9660 support and 'cat /proc/filesystems' say YES!!!

4. 8-port AST Serial Cards?

5. mount failed: no medium found

6. Solaris make bug

7. mount: no medium found

8. Program for USB CD-Rewriter

9. mounting CD-R results in "No medium found"

10. How to find nos. of cyl in HD ?

11. mount says /dev/sbpcd is mounted, but it's not!

12. CDRW wont work on windows after setting it up on linux from the HOWTO

13. mount: mount point /media/cdrom0 does not exist