Newbie needs help with Linux/Hard drive

Post by George/US » Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi folks,

   I have an old PB 300CD that I put a Western Digital 3GB hardrive in.
How can I recover the missing 1GB of space? Im installing Debian 2.1
as the only operating system on the machine.  I have removed the EZ-bios

boot manager so that it will actually boot, but while reinstalling
Debian
I see that it is still not reporting the correct amount of space on the
hard drive.
Anybody have any pointers or suggestions??

                                                          TIA, George

Take out the obvious spamblock to reply

Post by Chem-R-U » Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Hi folks,

>    I have an old PB 300CD that I put a Western Digital 3GB hardrive in.
> How can I recover the missing 1GB of space? Im installing Debian 2.1
> as the only operating system on the machine.  I have removed the EZ-bios

> boot manager so that it will actually boot, but while reinstalling
> Debian
> I see that it is still not reporting the correct amount of space on the
> hard drive.
> Anybody have any pointers or suggestions??

Are you sure that you're not letting the

 1G = 1000x1000x1000
      (1,000,000,000)
versus

 1G = 1024x1024x1024
      (1,073,741,824)

thing throw you off?

--

Chem-R-Us

Post by Bernard Murray, P » Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> > Hi folks,

> >    I have an old PB 300CD that I put a Western Digital 3GB hardrive in.
> > How can I recover the missing 1GB of space? Im installing Debian 2.1
> > as the only operating system on the machine.  I have removed the EZ-bios
> > boot manager so that it will actually boot, but while reinstalling
> > Debian
> > I see that it is still not reporting the correct amount of space on the
> > hard drive.
> > Anybody have any pointers or suggestions??
> Are you sure that you're not letting the

>  1G = 1000x1000x1000 [etc.]

That wouldn't account for a 33% deficit.  It sounds more like the
drive was originally partitioned to suit the DOS <2 Gb limit
(and/or there is a BIOS limitation - I'm not familiar with the
PB 300CD).
   What does fdisk tell you?  If you have a 2 Gb partition and
1 Gb unused space (or another old DOS partition) you can delete
that and make another ext2 partition.

   Bernard

--
Bernard P. Murray, PhD
bpmurray at cgl . ucsf . edu

Post by George/US » Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> > Hi folks,

> >    I have an old PB 300CD that I put a Western Digital 3GB hardrive in.
> > How can I recover the missing 1GB of space? Im installing Debian 2.1
> > as the only operating system on the machine.  I have removed the EZ-bios

> > boot manager so that it will actually boot, but while reinstalling
> > Debian
> > I see that it is still not reporting the correct amount of space on the
> > hard drive.
> > Anybody have any pointers or suggestions??

> Are you sure that you're not letting the

>  1G = 1000x1000x1000
>       (1,000,000,000)
> versus

>  1G = 1024x1024x1024
>       (1,073,741,824)

> thing throw you off?

> --

> Chem-R-Us

Naw, its actually 3.1GB, so usual formatted capacity is somewhere around
2.8GB.
Debian only sees 2.0GB.

George

Post by Chem-R-U » Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> > Are you sure that you're not letting the

> >  1G = 1000x1000x1000
> >       (1,000,000,000)
> > versus

> >  1G = 1024x1024x1024
> >       (1,073,741,824)

> > thing throw you off?

> Naw, its actually 3.1GB, so usual formatted capacity is somewhere around
> 2.8GB.
> Debian only sees 2.0GB.

Hmm... Linux should be reporting what the BIOS is telling it.

(Assuming hda is the drive in question), what does

  cat /proc/ide/hda/capacity

display?

--

Chem-R-Us

Newbie needs help with Linux/Hard drive

Post by George/US » Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> > > Are you sure that you're not letting the

> > >  1G = 1000x1000x1000
> > >       (1,000,000,000)
> > > versus

> > >  1G = 1024x1024x1024
> > >       (1,073,741,824)

> > > thing throw you off?

> > Naw, its actually 3.1GB, so usual formatted capacity is somewhere around
> > 2.8GB.
> > Debian only sees 2.0GB.

> Hmm... Linux should be reporting what the BIOS is telling it.

> (Assuming hda is the drive in question), what does

>   cat /proc/ide/hda/capacity

> display?

> --

> Chem-R-Us

Actually, I think it is the BIOS fault.  The machine was purchased in 1995, so

the ancient BIOS may not be able to address all that space. <<shrug>>

                                                                        George

Newbie needs help with Linux/Hard drive

Post by George/US » Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:00:00

<<snip>>

Quote:

> Actually, I think it is the BIOS fault.  The machine was purchased in 1995, so

> the ancient BIOS may not be able to address all that space. <<shrug>>

>                                                                         George

And thats what it appears to be.  Western Digital's Linux FAQ indicates
that I must use an unjumpered J8 in order to access the full capacity
of the drive in Linux.  However, this idiotic box with its ancient BIOS does
not allow that, it requires the "alternate" jumper settings.  So, I must upgrade
the
BIOS (according to WD) in order to be able to access the full, unjumpered capacity
of the hard drive under Linux.  Ta-dah! I feel like an idiot now....

Just thought I would share that with you all, in case some other newbie wanders
along
with the same, err, condition....

George

Post by Bernard Murray, P » Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> > Actually, I think it is the BIOS fault.  The machine was purchased in 1995,
> > so the ancient BIOS may not be able to address all that space. <<shrug>>
> And thats what it appears to be.
> So, I must upgrade the BIOS (according to WD) in order to be able to access
> the full, unjumpered capacity
> of the hard drive under Linux.

Have you tried passing the real HD geometery (C/H/S) to the kernel as
it boots?  I seem to remember that working with some of the old 1.x
kernels (Slackware 2.0?).  This at least allowed me to get past the
504 Mb BIOS limit at the time.
   Bernard

--
Bernard P. Murray, PhD
bpmurray at cgl . ucsf . edu
Department of Cellular & Molecular Pharmacology, UCSF

1. Newbie needs help to install SuSE Linux 7.1 on SCSI hard drive.

I am a total newbie when it comes to Linux.  Any help will most
gratefully appreciated.

I am trying to install SUSE Linux 7.1 on to a SCSI hard drive
controlled by an AdvanSys ABP5140 adapter.  Unfortunately, the
installation program YaST2 doesn't recognise the SCSI hard drive
although it sees the IDE ones.

When I try to install the AdvanSys module, it asks for the parameter
and gives an example of a parameter as "afc_iopf lag=1
afc_ioport=0x110".  I don't understand what this means.
--

Alasdair Baxter, Nottingham, UK.Tel +44 115 9705100; Fax +44 115 9423263

        "It's not what you say that matters but how you say it.
         It's not what you do that matters but how you do it"

2. Linux on Thinkpad install problem

3. How to merge two hard drive into one logical hard drive for Linux

4. Driver for MATROX IMAGE 640

5. Once a Linux Hard Drive ALWAYS a Linus Hard Drive???

6. Win98 - Linux [Which FAST protocol ?]

7. need help moving linux to a new hard drive

8. Solaris on a 630M

9. Moving Linux to new Hard Drive - need help

10. Need help installing Linux on large hard drive

11. Linux without a Hard Drive help needed

12. LINUX and Hard Drive Partition ( Help Needed!)

13. HELP needed installing Linux on a WD 1.2G EIDE Hard Drive