Linux on 386-SX ?

Post by Algar of Synga » Wed, 03 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Ok, I know this would be slow even if it did work, but will Linux
run on a 386SX ? I see the 386 listed, but no mention of the SX.

Thanks,
-Al

Linux on 386-SX ?

Post by Brendan Whi » Thu, 04 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Ok, I know this would be slow even if it did work, but will Linux
>run on a 386SX ? I see the 386 listed, but no mention of the SX.

Presently, I am on a 386 laptop hooked up to a 386/16sx linux box with 8 MB
ram, which supports about 8 shell users and 3 slirp users simultaniously,
serves web pages, anonymous ftp, and has only gone down 2x in the past 3
months, both times  because of faulty disks.

so, yes. :)
look at http://lenin.cc.rochester.edu

-brendan
--
Brendan White

"Strange how laughter looks like crying with no sound.. raindrops taste like
tears without the pain" -- Queensryche

Linux on 386-SX ?

Post by Geoff Sho » Thu, 04 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: Ok, I know this would be slow even if it did work, but will Linux
: run on a 386SX ? I see the 386 listed, but no mention of the SX.

Yes, although you need to make sure you enable coprocessor emulation
when you compile a new kernel.  And providing you don't try and do
anything stupid, it's not as slow as you might expect.

        Geoff  (on a 386sx33)

can't identify with that kind of work ethic.  http://www.york.ac.uk/~grs100

Linux on 386-SX ?

Post by Scott Smi » Fri, 05 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Ok, I know this would be slow even if it did work, but will Linux
>run on a 386SX ? I see the 386 listed, but no mention of the SX.
>Thanks,
>-Al

I running a 386sx25 and have no problems. And I saw an article that
mentioned math-processor emulation. Its not needed truly needed if you
have a math co-processor like myself.

 Scott Smith

Linux on 386-SX ?

Post by Trever Mill » Fri, 05 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: Ok, I know this would be slow even if it did work, but will Linux
: run on a 386SX ? I see the 386 listed, but no mention of the SX.

Yes, but slowly.  I had it installed on my 386DX20 w/5Mb ram, 20Mb IDE
laptop for a while.  Tight squeeze but doable.

--

"The stupider it looks, the more important it probably is." -- J.R. 'Bob' Dobbs

Linux on 386-SX ?

Post by Jim Decat » Sun, 07 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Ok, I know this would be slow even if it did work, but will Linux
> run on a 386SX ? I see the 386 listed, but no mention of the SX.

I ran linux on a 386sx-16 and it wasn't that slow. Unless you want
to compile the kernel.. that was an over-nighter and don't wake up
early ;)

-Jim

Linux on 386-SX ?

Post by Derek Mort » Mon, 08 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>Subject: Linux on 386-SX ?
>Date: Tue, 02 Jul 1996 20:20:35 -0500
>Ok, I know this would be slow even if it did work, but will Linux
>run on a 386SX ? I see the 386 listed, but no mention of the SX.
>Thanks,
>-Al

The processing unit within the 386sx is the same as the PU in the 386dx
family,  So linux will run fine.

The difference is in the Bus Interface Unit, dx has a 32 bit BUI whereas sx
only has a 16 BUI.  This made for a cheaper motherboard.

Derek

Linux on 386-SX ?

Post by Grant Edwar » Mon, 08 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: I ran linux on a 386sx-16 and it wasn't that slow. Unless you want
: to compile the kernel.. that was an over-nighter and don't wake up
: early ;)

If you don't have a floating point coprocessor (a 387) certain X11
applications are really going to suck air.  Programs (like Netscape) that
use a lot of scaled fonts will take several minutes to start up.

Other than that, it should work fine.  I ran Linux/X11 on a 386DX with a
hercules mono graphics board for a while.

--
Grant Edwards        | Microsoft isn't the   | Yow!  Is this going to
Rosemount Inc.       | answer. Microsoft     | involve RAW human ecstasy?

Linux on 386-SX ?

Post by Obryan Anthony » Wed, 10 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: : Ok, I know this would be slow even if it did work, but will Linux
: : run on a 386SX ? I see the 386 listed, but no mention of the SX.

I run Linux on a 386sx/40 with 8 megs of RAM and a 400 meg HD with no problems
at all.  X runs acceptably, but sluggishly, and console apps run just fine.

Linux on 386-SX ?

Post by bill davids » Thu, 11 Jul 1996 04:00:00

| Other than that, it should work fine.  I ran Linux/X11 on a 386DX with a
| hercules mono graphics board for a while.

Where did you get the server? The so-called mono server appears to
be for SVGA with a mono display.
--

"As a software development model, Anarchy does not scale well."
                -Dave Welch

Linux on 386-SX ?

Post by Grant Edwar » Fri, 12 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: | Other than that, it should work fine.  I ran Linux/X11 on a 386DX with a
: | hercules mono graphics board for a while.

: Where did you get the server? The so-called mono server appears to
: be for SVGA with a mono display.

They stopped linking in HGC support several years ago.  If you get the
Xfree86 "link kit" you can relink the mono server with HGC support.
Personally, I don't think it's worth the effort, but AFAIK it's still
possible.

--
Grant Edwards        | Microsoft isn't the   | Yow!  I feel like a wet
Rosemount Inc.       | answer. Microsoft     | parking meter on Darvon!

Linux on 386-SX ?

Post by psyc » Mon, 15 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: : : Ok, I know this would be slow even if it did work, but will Linux
: : : run on a 386SX ? I see the 386 listed, but no mention of the SX.

: I run Linux on a 386sx/40 with 8 megs of RAM and a 400 meg HD with no problems
: at all.  X runs acceptably, but sluggishly, and console apps run just fine.

I am running Mini-Linux on a 386SX-16 with 8 megs of RAM and a 120 meg HD,
and it runs like an absolute dream.  I load it from DOS with loadlin, and
I have a 12 meg swapfile.  That seems to take care of the low memory
problem very well.  Linux runs about as well on my computer as windows
3.11 does, and it's fast enough to work on and have buckets of fun with.
I have tinyX, which is supposed to work on systems that don't have much
memory, but I haven't got my video configured yet, so I can't say how well
it works.
--

Linux on 386-SX ?

:
: I run Linux on a 386sx/40 with 8 megs of RAM and a 400 meg HD with no problems
: at all.  X runs acceptably, but sluggishly, and console apps run just fine.

Used to run it (0.99 kernels) on a 3mb 386SX/20 laptop... never tried X on
that, but it ran great...

Now I'm running it on a pentium, and waiting for mkLinux to support my 5300
:)

1. Linux Doesn't Boot on my 386/sx

I have just recintly installed Linux for the first (well accully 4th) time on
my computer and it doesn't want to boot up. I have a:

        386 sx
        2 megs ram
        30 linux partition, with 10 meg swap file
        slackware ver 2 of linux.
        using the 'old' file system.

Every thing installed fine... no probems at all. The I restarted the computer
with ctlr-alt-del... and Lilo took over and booted fine....

        And then Linux started to spit what looks like to be normal messages...
then once, right before it should go multi-user, the system goes to chk by hard
drive and then it appears to stop.  (although the hard drive light still
blips on every few secounds)

 I seem to be so close to having Linux.... and then soooo far....

If any body has any Ideas please post.

                        \- Beretta ---->

2. Console problems after Slack kernel build

3. Recommend using 386 SX for Linux?

4. strcpy problem

5. Laptop: Zenith SuperSport 386 SX Forsale (model ZWL-0300-10)

6. Printing w/ Canon BJC 2100SP

7. ?How long to compile a new Kernel on 386/SX with UMSDOS?

8. Finding lc command

9. Can't install on 386 SX 16mhz

10. 386 SX; 2MB RAM; 40MB HD

11. ?How long to compile a new Kernel on 386/SX with UMSDOS?

12. Problems booting SV/386 on Intel AT-386-Computer

13. 386/ix mailx as distributed with 386/ix