Help wanted: what diskimage has ACER CD support?

Help wanted: what diskimage has ACER CD support?

Post by Grumblefi » Mon, 06 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I have an ACER cd-rom and I'm wondering what disk image from redhat
would cover the problem? Any help appreciated...

Ted Bruyere

Help wanted: what diskimage has ACER CD support?

Post by Tony Ky » Thu, 09 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Try using the BARE.I image for the boot.  Your drive is probably an IDE/ATAPI
drive.  After installation I had to recompile the kernel from 2.0.0 to 2.0.12
to get my Acer CD to be recognized on a steady basis.

HTH

Quote:>I have an ACER cd-rom and I'm wondering what disk image from redhat
>would cover the problem? Any help appreciated...

>Ted Bruyere

1. Need help getting Acer CD-525E CD-Rom drive to work

Subject says most of it really. :-)

I have an Intel 486 DX/33 on a Total Peripherals motherboard.
I also have an Acer CD-525E Atapi compatible Cd-ROM drive from Taiwan.

I have used the IDECD 1.44Mb bootdisk along with the TTY144 rootdisk.
(I only have a Hercules mono screen at present).

The boot process says that /dev/hdc is the CD-Rom drive and finds it.
A bit later on I get an error message saying that
"BIOS32 extension were not found but are needed. Sorry."
When running the setup program, I press 7 for IDE/Atapi drive install
and then /dev/hdc. The setup program then runs around in circles forever.

Can you help me?

Following are the boot sequence messages.

**************** Cut here ****************
boot:
.
.
.
hdc: OTI-SCYLLA, ATAPI, CD-ROM drive
.
.
.
ide0: primary interface on irq 14
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M, fd1 is 1.2M
FDC 0 is a 8272A
EATA (Extended Attachment) driver version: 2.31a
developed in co-operation with DPT

No BIOS32 extensions present. This release still depends on it. Sorry.
.
.
.
Partition check:
  hda: hda1 hda2
************** Cut here ***************8

hda1 is Linux main partition with 110Mb on it.
hda2 is a 14Mb swap partition.
The machine is a Total Peripherals 486DX, 33Mhz with 5Mb of RAM.

What are the BIOS32 extensions that it can't find? What are they
used for?

The CD-Rom drive supports atapi pio mode 2 for 8.33Mb/sec data transfer rate.
It's IDE Interface conforms to SFF8020 Atapi.
(Both of the above lines are according to the manual There are no other
configuration details in the manual, regarding IRQ's or the like).

I used the IDECD bootdisk which seems fine except for that BIOS32 message.
I have tried mounting /dev/hdc at the boot parameters option and have
generally had a great deal of fun (NOT) trying to get the thing to work.
Had no joy.

Are there any parameters I can put in at the boot options line to overcome
the problem?

Any suggestions? I'll try even the wacky ones!

Chairs from Brett

2. Apache virtual hosts not resolving correctly

3. Support for Acer CD-RW burner and modem

4. setting up PPP

5. Driver for Acer CD-525E CD-ROM

6. /etc/format.dat entry for Cheetah?

7. Acer CD-525E CD-ROM drivers?

8. Apache won′t start again

9. HELP: ACER CD-743E and Slackware 2.3

10. CD rom undetected ! (ACER VUeGO) Who may help ?

11. Help with Acer 6x CD-ROM, Ethernet card

12. Epson cd? Having problems with cd recognition

13. Help! Having trouble with SCSI CD-ROM