SB128 (ES1370) - 2.4.x - JOYSTICK not working anymore?

SB128 (ES1370) - 2.4.x - JOYSTICK not working anymore?

Post by Alex » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 02:17:31



Hi,

i have an ES1370 (sounblaster128) that has always worked perfectly.

But since i switched to 2.4.x, i can't seem to be able to make my joystick
work anymore! (it works perfectly in 2.2.19)

it says "joystick off" in the kernel output on startup and when i try stuff
like this:

append="joystick=1, joystick_io=0x201"

It doesn't change anything (0x201 being the io in 2.2.x)... any idea? :-)

(oh, it's a logitech thunderpad digital joystick)
---------------------------------------------------------------
dmesg output for the card: (2.4.16 kernel)

es1370: version v0.37 time 18:09:10 Nov 26 2001
es1370: found adapter at io 0xb400 irq 17
es1370: features: joystick off, line in, mic impedance 0

relevant .config from the kernel:
CONFIG_INPUT=y
CONFIG_INPUT_JOYDEV=y
CONFIG_INPUT_GAMEPORT=y
CONFIG_INPUT_ADI=y
CONFIG_INPUT_GAMEPORT=y
CONFIG_SOUND=y
CONFIG_SOUND_ES1370=y

 
 
 

SB128 (ES1370) - 2.4.x - JOYSTICK not working anymore?

Post by Dances With Cro » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 10:55:32


On Tue, 27 Nov 2001 12:17:31 -0500, Alex staggered into the Black Sun
and said:

Quote:>i have an ES1370 (sounblaster128) that has always worked perfectly.
>But since i switched to 2.4.x, i can't seem to be able to make my
>joystick work anymore! (it works perfectly in 2.2.19)

>it says "joystick off" in the kernel output on startup and when i try stuff
>like this:

>append="joystick=1, joystick_io=0x201"
>relevant .config from the kernel:
>CONFIG_INPUT=y
>CONFIG_INPUT_JOYDEV=y
>CONFIG_INPUT_GAMEPORT=y
>CONFIG_INPUT_ADI=y
>CONFIG_INPUT_GAMEPORT=y
>CONFIG_SOUND=y
>CONFIG_SOUND_ES1370=y

Don't do that.

Everything that can be a module should be a module; it makes solving
these problems much easier since you can just unload the module and
reload it with different parameters if you get said parameters wrong.
If you compile it in, you have to reboot to change things should you get
the kernel parameters wrong.

Anyway, joystick_io is not a valid parameter for the es1370 module in
kernel 2.4.14 at least.  Giving a module an incorrect parameter
generally means that the module won't be loaded at all--I guess things
are different if you're passing params to something that's built-in.
The driver apparently finds the I/O ports by itself as long as
joystick=1 is set.

Quote:>It doesn't change anything (0x201 being the io in 2.2.x)... any idea?
>:-) (oh, it's a logitech thunderpad digital joystick)

After the sound module is loaded correctly, you need to do "modprobe
joydev" and then "modprobe adi".  

--
Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see
Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /
http://www.brainbench.com     /  "He is a rhythmic movement of the
-----------------------------/    penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

 
 
 

SB128 (ES1370) - 2.4.x - JOYSTICK not working anymore?

Post by Alex » Fri, 30 Nov 2001 06:26:57




> Don't do that.

> Everything that can be a module should be a module; it makes solving
> these problems much easier since you can just unload the module and
> reload it with different parameters if you get said parameters wrong. If
> you compile it in, you have to reboot to change things should you get
> the kernel parameters wrong.

thanks for the help! it works :)
But i don't like the module aproach and i _should_ be able to put it in
the kernel, is this a bug? (ie. the joydev is loaded after the soundcard?
(or something similar))

Quote:> Anyway, joystick_io is not a valid parameter for the es1370 module in
> kernel 2.4.14 at least.  Giving a module an incorrect parameter

heh you're right, just tryed it ;)

Quote:> generally means that the module won't be loaded at all--I guess things
> are different if you're passing params to something that's built-in. The
> driver apparently finds the I/O ports by itself as long as joystick=1 is
> set.

I'll have to do some more test...

Quote:> After the sound module is loaded correctly, you need to do "modprobe
> joydev" and then "modprobe adi".

i've been doing it in reverse order and it works, so maybe my theory that
when it's in the kernel it doesnt work because of the order is false
...hmm...i ll have to do even more tests :)

well thanks again! :-)

Alex