Help: Setserial says serial port/modem exists, no responses from minicom

Help: Setserial says serial port/modem exists, no responses from minicom

Post by Pete » Tue, 28 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hello all,

I am by no means a serial port amateur, but this has me stumped:

I am testing out an old system to be used as my 'net gateway (nat).
Redhat 6.0 on a k6-200, 14.4k/16450 UART at 0x3f8/IRQ4 (I'll put a 56k on it
when I get this to work.)
Kernel comes up, dmesg says that ttyS00 was found at 0x3f8/int 4.
setserial -a /dev/ttyS0 acknowledges that.

(Sidebar: why does the kernel say ttyS00 when MAKDEV won't allow for a
device named ttyS00 ?)

cat /proc/interrupt shows me that IRQ4 was taken by a serial port.

minicom (config'd with /dev/ttyS0) as device doesn't seem to communicate
with the modem. It's not an echo problem, I can't get it to off/on hook,
dial, exit command mode, etc. Nothing is happening. I've tried 2 different
old 14.4's.
Nada.

I was going to try a 56k out of another box, but I don't feel like that can
be the problem. All I can think of is that I am missing something, but
nothing in the FAQ's ro HOWTO's are offering any hints...

Anyone have ideas?

Regards,
-Pete

Help: Setserial says serial port/modem exists, no responses from minicom

Post by Jordi G. Marc » Wed, 29 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

is it an internal modem?  Have you tried setserial /dev/ttyS0 auto_irq
autoconfig skip_test spd_vhi ?

Quote:> Hello all,

> I am by no means a serial port amateur, but this has me stumped:

> I am testing out an old system to be used as my 'net gateway (nat).
> Redhat 6.0 on a k6-200, 14.4k/16450 UART at 0x3f8/IRQ4 (I'll put a 56k on it
> when I get this to work.)
> Kernel comes up, dmesg says that ttyS00 was found at 0x3f8/int 4.
> setserial -a /dev/ttyS0 acknowledges that.

> (Sidebar: why does the kernel say ttyS00 when MAKDEV won't allow for a
> device named ttyS00 ?)

> cat /proc/interrupt shows me that IRQ4 was taken by a serial port.

> minicom (config'd with /dev/ttyS0) as device doesn't seem to communicate
> with the modem. It's not an echo problem, I can't get it to off/on hook,
> dial, exit command mode, etc. Nothing is happening. I've tried 2 different
> old 14.4's.
> Nada.

> I was going to try a 56k out of another box, but I don't feel like that can
> be the problem. All I can think of is that I am missing something, but
> nothing in the FAQ's ro HOWTO's are offering any hints...

> Anyone have ideas?

> Regards,
> -Pete

Help: Setserial says serial port/modem exists, no responses from minicom

Post by Pete » Fri, 31 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I did find the problem. Apparently, and I don't quite understand this.
Setserial showed the right information for /dev/ttyS0, but I needed to use
/dev/cua0. cua's major device node was 5 rather than the 4 of ttyS0.
The kernel complains that I shouldn't use cua, so I deleted cua0 and remade
it correctly.

Was that an oversight in RedHat 6.0, or did I install something incorrectly?

Thanks for all the tips everyone!
-Pete

[...]

Post by bastard_mach.. » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Have you checked that the values reported by setserial are the same as
the values reported by the BIOS setup utility? Setserial just reports
its own configuration, it doesn't check whether it corresponds to
reality (although you can ask it to probe I think).

Michael Rogers

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.