3Com 3CCFE575CT PCMCIA on Dell Inspiron 7500....

3Com 3CCFE575CT PCMCIA on Dell Inspiron 7500....

Post by MWence » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 00:18:58

I'm new to Linux and would appreciate any help to get this card
working properly in my system.  I'll apologize in advance for the
cross-post....

I just completed a fresh install of Redhat Linux v7.0 boxed set
and do not have a working setup with respect to the 3Com/Dell
3CCFE575CT PCMCIA card that ships with the Dell 7500 laptop.
I've tried modifying the /etc/pcmcia/config to add the 3c575_cb
module and various combinations of the instructions I've gleaned
from other posting below, however, the card does not configure
properly upon system boot.  IFCONFIG shows that the card is
at IRQ 11 and IO base 0x200.

Would someone that has this card working in a Dell 7000 or 7500 please
send/reply with a complete set of steps that I can follow (including
those in Linuxconf...)?

Thanks!

MarkW
-
"We want a few mad people now. See where the sane ones have landed us!"
 George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
-
MarkW (remove NO-SPAM to reply...)

If you are getting the tx timeouts, try setting:

module "3c575_cb" opts "down_poll_rate=0"

in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts and see if that helps.

-- Dave

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.portable

Subject: Re: pcmcia woes with 3Com 3CCFE575CT-D NIC
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 14:15:53 GMT

Which version of pcmcia-cs are you using? I had to upgrade to 3.1.11 to
get my
Dell/3Com 3CCFE575CT card working. RH 6.1 only comes with 3.0.x, so
you'd
better check out
http://pcmcia.sourceforge.org/
for more details.

HTH,

JJK

>> Dave,

>> I checked the /etc/pcmcia/config file and the 3c575 was not listed
in the
> card section, but it was listed in the device definitions. So I added the
> following under the 10/100baseT network adapters section:

>> card "3Com 575 Fast Ethernet"
>> manfid 0x0101, 0x0575
>> bind "3c575_cb"

>> I wasn't sure what to put on the manfid line so I copied the 0x0101
part from
> the 3c574 card's line and assumed that the other hex value was supposed to match
> the card (since the 3c574 had 0x0574) and put 0x0575.

>I'm having trouble wioth this card too in my GAteway Solo2550.

>However, I managed to get a little further. Firstly, I suggest once
>linux is up, take the card out, put it back in (you get the low beep)
>then do "tail /var/log/messages" and I think you'll find you've got
the
>2nd number wrong on your manfid line. Use the entries *exactly* as
they
>appear in the messages file. I can't recall my exactly now (same
lapto,
>but I'm under Win98 now), but I think my second number was 0x5275 NOT
>0x0575.

>Now I get 2 high beeps when the card is inserted, and ifconfig reports
>correctly configured port.

>My problem is that the LED on the pcmcia card does not come on and I
>have no network access (ping etc). What can I test next? I thought
maybe
>the card is coming up in 100base2 mode, but the command to change this
>(I forget it now) says it is unable to change the setting. I thought
>these PCMCIA network cards always come up in AUTO mode by default? I
>don't have a 10/100 hub/switch, but if really necessary I can test
with
>a twisted cable directly to another 100base2 machine. Any suggestions
>meanwhile sould be great.

>Oh, I also had problems with the IRQ and memory setting in
>/etc/pcmcia/config.opts but that's all happy now, if necessary I can
>post it here.

Jan Just (JJ) Keijser -- Release Engineer & Unix Hacker
http://www.sightpath.com:
Cutting-edge Solutions for Intelligent Web Content Delivery

Your mouse has moved. Windows must be restarted for
the change to take effect. Reboot now? [OK]

My views are my own...
flames > /dev/null 2>&1

-
"We want a few mad people now. See where the sane ones have landed us!"
 George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
-
MarkW (remove NO-SPAM to reply...)

3Com 3CCFE575CT PCMCIA on Dell Inspiron 7500....

Post by David Hind » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 04:16:14

Quote:> I just completed a fresh install of Redhat Linux v7.0 boxed set
> and do not have a working setup with respect to the 3Com/Dell
> 3CCFE575CT PCMCIA card that ships with the Dell 7500 laptop.

You'll need to describe exactly what happens when you insert the card,
with system log messages.  I believe that RH 7 should support this
card so you should certainly not need to modify /etc/pcmcia/config.

Quote:> I've tried modifying the /etc/pcmcia/config to add the 3c575_cb
> module and various combinations of the instructions I've gleaned
> from other posting below, however, the card does not configure
> properly upon system boot.  IFCONFIG shows that the card is
> at IRQ 11 and IO base 0x200.

If the card shows up in "ifconfig", then the correct driver was
loaded.  Then you should just need to configure the interface using
"netconf".

-- Dave

Post by MWence » Sun, 24 Dec 2000 09:50:40

> > I just completed a fresh install of Redhat Linux v7.0 boxed set
> > and do not have a working setup with respect to the 3Com/Dell
> > 3CCFE575CT PCMCIA card that ships with the Dell 7500 laptop.

> You'll need to describe exactly what happens when you insert the card,
> with system log messages.  I believe that RH 7 should support this
> card so you should certainly not need to modify /etc/pcmcia/config.

> > I've tried modifying the /etc/pcmcia/config to add the 3c575_cb
> > module and various combinations of the instructions I've gleaned
> > from other posting below, however, the card does not configure
> > properly upon system boot.  IFCONFIG shows that the card is
> > at IRQ 11 and IO base 0x200.

> If the card shows up in "ifconfig", then the correct driver was
> loaded.  Then you should just need to configure the interface using
> "netconf".

> -- Dave

Thanks for the help.  I'm new to Linux and am still trying to find my
way around so to speak...

The card appears to be configured properly (IFCONFIG output shows I/O
at 0x200 and IRQ 11), however, I get 'network host unreachable' and
'no network route' when I attempt to test with ping and ftp
respectively.  The gateway and DNS servers are specified,
however I continue to get errors from 'insmod' at boot time
that warn of improper module and IO/IRQ settings.  This card
is configured for a static IP for use on the office network
at work and my small home-office network...

I believe that the fact that I have this laptop in a Dell port
replicator, with and Intel Ethernet 82557 10/100 'eepro' adapter
on-board which shows up at I/O of 0x1080 and IRQ 11 may be
clouding the issues with at least an IRQ conflict. In addition,
the EEPRO100 is the card I was hoping to configure for DHCP for
use with my cable modem for internet access.  At boot-time,
when the kudzu hardware identify/configure software comes up,
it is not able to finish the IP configuration info requested
from my cable provider to properly setup the DHCP info on the
adapter and related bindings...I cannot get to the point where
routing info for the two adapters can be configured...

How do I remove the eth0 and eth1 configuration and all related
items and start from scratch?  As I'm new to Linux, if you can
provide specific instructions to me via email, it would be
appreciated...

Thanks,

MarkW

-
"We want a few mad people now. See where the sane ones have landed us!"
 George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
-
MarkW (remove NO-SPAM to reply...)

1. nfsroot on Dell Inspiron 7500 w/ 3Com FE575C

Dear Linux Gurus,

I'm wondering if anyone could offer some advice on how to nfs-boot my
Inspiron 7500 with a 3Com FE575C pcmcia netcard. I have a RedHat 7.0
running on my local net, with a copy of the base filesystem exported
via NFS. I have dhcpd running and bootp configured. I compiled the
latest kernel 2.4.6 w/ all that is required -- nfsroot, bootp, pcmcia,
etherned, etc. I'm using a modified RedHat rescue disk to boot my
kernel (so I can pass in params thru append). The kernel boots fine,
finds and inits the netcard, and attempts to mount root thru nfs.

The problem is that it takes about 2 seconds for the net card to
actually start working (the green lite comes on). By that time, NFS
mount has already failed. Is there any way I can delay nfs mount by
some 2 seconds? I'm sure the card would be ready to work by then. It
seems all the protocols are configured, and the card does turn on in
the end, and there don't seem to be any IRQ conflicts or anything. I'm
sure my NFS server works as well.

Any valuable suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!

#mv /windows/me /linux
Whew!..

2. Renaming lots of files

3. DELL Inspiron 7500 / RH6.1 / 3COM 3C589 Problems

4. ./configure cannot find librsvg

5. Dell inspiron 7500, PCMCIA, and 2.4.x -- No love.

6. wants detailed specification document for coding RIP(routing information protocol)

7. Dell Inspiron 7500 and Corel Linux -HELP

8. Multiple monitor support?

9. newbie type advice questions... re: installing RH7.2 on Dell INSPIRON 7500 laptop

10. Can Linux handle Dell Inspiron 7500 SXGA+ (1400x1050)?

11. System Freeze: Dell Inspiron 7500

12. DELL inspiron 7500 650 YT ?

13. ATI Rage Mobility-AGP2x on Dell 7500 (Inspiron) Redhat Linux v7.x...