Sunix ISA I/O Card (2x serial, 1x parallel)

Sunix ISA I/O Card (2x serial, 1x parallel)

Post by Colin Brou » Sat, 21 Jul 2001 04:04:04

I recently got a new I/O card to provide an additional parallel
printer port, and a couple of extra serial ports. I can get the serial
ports working, but have so far failed with the parallel port. Has
anyone had any experience with this card?

The card comes with both Windows (98 & NT) and Linux installation
instructions! Following these I've set jumpers on the card to select
IRQ and IO port addresses. 'seterial' successfully sets up the serial
ports, so I can now sync my Palm without having to unplug the modem
:-)

However, adding the suggested parameters to the kernel boot line
doesn't give me a working parallel port.... :-(

I boot using loadlin, so the kernel command line looks like this
(split for readablity):

  shell=c:\loadlin\loadlin.exe C:\loadlin\linux2-2.17a root=/dev/hda5
        parport=0x378,none parport=0x3bc,none

If I look in /proc/parport I see:

    cmb.parport > ls
    0/  1/
    cmb.parport > cat */hardware
    base:   0x378                       # This is /dev/lp0, working
    irq:    none
    dma:    none
    modes:  SPP
    base:   0x3bc                       # This is /dev/lp0, not working
    irq:    none
    dma:    none
    modes:  SPP,PS2
    cmb.parport > cat /proc/ioports
    0378-037a : parport0
    03bc-03be : parport1
    cmb.parport >

I get the same output with only the IRQ different if I set the IRQ on
the kernel command line 11, which is how the card is jumpered
(parport=0x3bc,11). And that doesn't work either.

In other words, things look like they should be working!! But when I
try and print to the new parallel port, nothing! ('cat file > /dev/lp0'
works, 'cat file > /dev/lp1' does nothing - no blinking lights,
nothing; same printer.)

Card is a Sunix 4072A, and the installation guide I've got is version
3.20. Kernel is 2.2.17, everything compiled into kernel (no modules),
on a starting point of Redhat 5.2. No other ISA cards; Dell XPS M233s
with 64Mb, couple of PCI cards (Adaptec SCSI, STB graphics card).

I'm not quite sure what to try next... Any thoughts?

--

Cheers

Colin

ps Remove 'REMOVE.' from Reply-To field to reply.

Post by Colin Brou » Sat, 21 Jul 2001 18:25:36

> [Stuff about not being able to get a Sunix I/O card to work.]

Sorry to follow-up my own post, but I discovered I had a copy of the
installation instructions on the CD that came with the card:

        http://www.btinternet.com/~Colin.Brough/isa_linux_install.html

Sunix's own website is supposed to be at:

        http://www.sunix.com.tw

but I can't get a response - either server down/not responding, or
"Proxy could not connect to remote server"...

--

Post by Colin Brou » Mon, 23 Jul 2001 18:00:14

> [Stuff about not being able to get a Sunix I/O card to work.]

How do I go about debugging a parallel port problem? Installed a new
I/O card; serial ports on it work fine, but the parallel port
doesn't. (See previous posts for details.) Configuration all looks
OK. Under both Linux and Windows 95 it reports the printer as being
out of paper. Plug the same printer into the parellel port on the
motherboard and all works fine...

Might it be a hardware problem? How do I go about checking?

--

Cheers

Colin

ps Remove 'REMOVE.' from Reply-To field to reply.

1. Best AGP 2.0 1x/2x/3x/4x card

     TV in?  I'm pretty sure that TV-in is usually only found on TV tuner
and/or video capture cards.  The exception would be the ATI All-in-Wonder
series, which includes a built-in TV tuner, among other things.

     Since you're using a fairly old distro, I think your best bet would be to
go with a newer nVidia-based card (the "GeForce" cards).  You can download
their binary drivers for RedHat 6.2, so actually supporting your card will be
no problem -- just download and install the appropriate RPM from
www.nvidia.com.  You won't find an nVidia card with TV-in, though.  You can
find cards with TV-out, and they have dual monitor support called "TwinView"
on many cards, so just look for one of their cards with both TV-out and
TwinView support.

                                                            Marcus

2. Disable ^C in Bshell?

3. More than 4 primary partitions.

4. 2 serial and 1 parallel card for ISA bus

5. Help: X setup on a Dell OptiPlex GX1

6. Patch(2.4.6):serial unmaintained (bugfix pci timedia/sunix/exsys pci cards)

7. curious about the powerpc version of linux

8. Support Timedia/Sunix/Exsys PCI card problem in Serial 5.0.5 / Kernel 2.4.xx

9. EXSYS (/Sunix/Timedia) 4055A 4 port PCI serial card

10. 7500e External Parallel 6X/2X/2X Rewritable Drive

11. Serial-to-serial (or parallel-to-parallel) wireless?

12. Installing KDE 2x over 1x