Getting HP cd-writer 7500 to work

Post by Ian Bowm » Wed, 21 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I'm trying to get an HP 7500 (IDE/ATAPI) to write cd's under Linux.  Right
now I'm using kernel 2.0.34.  The kernel currently does not have scsi
hostadapter emulation, SCSI support, SCSI CD-ROM support, or SCSI generic
support.  It does have ide/atapi cdrom support however, and I can mount
the CD-writer and use it as a normal cdrom.

My exact question is: what do I have to do to get my cd-writer to write
cd's under Linux?  Here is what I think I have to do.  Is this correct?

        * Rebuild the kernel (I will be rebuilding to the latest 2.2.x,
        after I upgrade to Redhat 6.0).
        * Disable ide/atapi cd-rom support.
        * Compile as a module SCSI hostadapter emulation.
        * Compile into the kernel: SCSI support, SCSI CD-ROM support,
        SCSI generic support.
        * After this has been done, use cdrecord to write images using my
        HP 7500.

Will this work?  If so, is this the best way to do what I need to do (or
at least a reasonably good way)?

Post by William B. Cattel » Sat, 24 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> I'm trying to get an HP 7500 (IDE/ATAPI) to write cd's under Linux.  Right
> now I'm using kernel 2.0.34.  The kernel currently does not have scsi
> hostadapter emulation, SCSI support, SCSI CD-ROM support, or SCSI generic
> support.  It does have ide/atapi cdrom support however, and I can mount
> the CD-writer and use it as a normal cdrom.

> My exact question is: what do I have to do to get my cd-writer to write
> cd's under Linux?  Here is what I think I have to do.  Is this correct?

>         * Rebuild the kernel (I will be rebuilding to the latest 2.2.x,
>         after I upgrade to Redhat 6.0).
>         * Disable ide/atapi cd-rom support.
>         * Compile as a module SCSI hostadapter emulation.
>         * Compile into the kernel: SCSI support, SCSI CD-ROM support,
>         SCSI generic support.
>         * After this has been done, use cdrecord to write images using my
>         HP 7500.

> Will this work?  If so, is this the best way to do what I need to do (or
> at least a reasonably good way)?

You're pretty close - you DON'T want to disable the
IDE/CDROM but you DO want to compile in IDE-SCSI emulation.
I have an "hdc=ide-scsi" as a boot option and my system (HP
8110 ATAPI CDRW) works great.

The software you'll want to get is xcdroast, cdrecord and
mkiofs (the last two come budled with xcdroast).  This is
all you'll need to burn some CDs.  There are several other
CDRW related packages, xcdroast happens to be the one I use
most.

Of course, check the HOWTO  - it's very good.

Bill

http://members.home.com/wcattell
Park not thy Harley in the darkness of thine garage, that it
may collect dust for want of being oft ridden. Ride thy
Harley
with thy brethren, and rejoice in the spirit of the road.