cdrom mount error: kernel does not recognize /dev/hdc as a block device?

cdrom mount error: kernel does not recognize /dev/hdc as a block device?

Post by tom bergerso » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

when i try to mount (mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom) my Acer 685A
8x cdrom, i get the following error:

The kernel does not recognize /dev/hdc as a block device (maybe 'insmod
driver'?)

my setup is Asus P5a with ali 15x3 chipset on rh 6.0  in order to load
from the cdrom when installing i passed the following to boot:  linux
hdc=cdrom.  so install worked.  OK so i recompiled the kernel, version
2.2.9, and applied the ide patch at www.dyer.vanderbilt.edu to get the
kernel to "see" my chipset correctly.  so now it sees the chipset and
performance is better.  i had to remove the linux hdc=cdrom bit from
lilo otherwise it wouldnt boot at all, and in any event, with the new
ali chipset support, the system should find the cdrom on its own.

of course in the block devices section of xconfig i compiled in

Normal PC Floppy disk support
Enhanced IDE/MFM/RLL disk ... support
Include IDE/ATA-2 DISK support
Include ide/atapi cdrom support
Generic PCI IDE chipset support
Use DMA by default when available
ALI M15x3 chipset support

i do not really want to use SCSI emulation, and i do not believe it
should be necessary since the ACER 685A is a standard IDE/ATAPI drive.
Obviously, the error is inviting me to try a driver module.  should this
be necessary?  wWhat am i missing here?

tom bergerson

Post by Moors, ing. E.W.J » Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> when i try to mount (mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom) my Acer 685A
> 8x cdrom, i get the following error:

> The kernel does not recognize /dev/hdc as a block device (maybe 'insmod
> driver'?)

 CUT!!
> tom bergerson

You can check in /proc/devices if the major number of /dev/hdc is in the
list of blockdevices
(listed as ide) I expect this doesn't match the major number of your
/dev/hdc.

--

    Ing. Eric Moors
    Philips Research Laboratories

Post by Richard Bum » Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>Your cd is a "removeable media" device, try:
>mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdd /mnt/cdrom
>works for me ....

>> when i try to mount (mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom) my Acer 685A
>> 8x cdrom, i get the following error:

>> The kernel does not recognize /dev/hdc as a block device (maybe 'insmod
>> driver'?)

While browsing "Running linux", I saw these exact words.  Among the
main causes was listed -- the drive was empty.  Not that anyone here
would try to mount an empty drive:-(, but this reminds us that
something mechanical that keeps a particular CD from being read could
cause this error. The drive (or driver, or system) should not be
assumed to be at fault until it gives the same report after changing
media.
--
R. T. Bumby **  Rutgers Math || Amer. Math. Monthly Problems Editor 1992--1996

Telephone:    [USA] 732-445-0277 (full-time message line) FAX 732-445-5530

cdrom mount error: kernel does not recognize /dev/hdc as a block device?

Post by tom bergerso » Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:00:00

i am certain that a physical defect is not the cause.  i have the redhat 6 cd1 in
the drive and had just loaded the os from it prior to recompiling, etc.  the
problem is that i must have to set something up to find the drive and make it
mountable.  as i said, the motherboard has the ali chipset (M15x3) and running
rh6 out of the box, the kernel does not recognize it.  it did recognize my cdrom
if and only if i specified the parameter  "Linux hdc=cdrom" (the cdrom is the
master device on the secondary ide interface) either at the boot: prompt or using
the append=.... line in lilo.conf.

therefore i can say with nearly 100% assurance that the problem is one of
configuration, rather than anything physical.  also, the Linux hdc=cdrom method
does not work after recompiling the kernel to recognize the chipset.  it produces
an error upon bootup and crashes the machine.  also, i appreciate the thought
from the vogels, but upon reading my first post, it is evident that i had already
tried the usual mount argument.  and hdd will not work for me since the cdrom is
the master on the secondary ide interface, not the slave.

--

ICQ UIN: 1146938
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/9263 (Marfan)

"Out the 10Base-T, through the router, down the T1, over the leased-line,
off the bridge, past the firewall...nothing but Net."

cdrom mount error: kernel does not recognize /dev/hdc as a block device?

Post by Chris Blan » Tue, 22 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>i am certain that a physical defect is not the cause.  i have the redhat 6 cd1 in
>the drive and had just loaded the os from it prior to recompiling, etc.  the
>problem is that i must have to set something up to find the drive and make it
>mountable.  as i said, the motherboard has the ali chipset (M15x3) and running
>rh6 out of the box, the kernel does not recognize it.  it did recognize my cdrom
>if and only if i specified the parameter  "Linux hdc=cdrom" (the cdrom is the
>master device on the secondary ide interface) either at the boot: prompt or using
>the append=.... line in lilo.conf.

>therefore i can say with nearly 100% assurance that the problem is one of
>configuration, rather than anything physical.  also, the Linux hdc=cdrom method
>does not work after recompiling the kernel to recognize the chipset.  it produces
>an error upon bootup and crashes the machine.  also, i appreciate the thought
>from the vogels, but upon reading my first post, it is evident that i had already
>tried the usual mount argument.  and hdd will not work for me since the cdrom is
>the master on the secondary ide interface, not the slave.

I am having the EXACT same problem after upgrading my RedHat 5.2 ->
6.0. Just wondering if you found a way to get the cdrom recognized.

Very frustrating since the cdrom worked fine under 5.2, not to mention
I installed RH6.0 FROM a cd. Ugh.

Thanks in advance.

- Chris

    http://www.blanos.com/      |  Need CGI? Got ya covered!

Post by justi » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> >when i try to mount (mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom) my Acer 685A
> >8x cdrom, i get the following error:

> >The kernel does not recognize /dev/hdc as a block device (maybe 'insmod
> >driver'?)

If u haven't fixed it yet this might work. Maybe your cd device is
configured wrong. type "dmesg | more" scroll down untill it talks about
your cdrom device. It will say hdc hdb etc. if it is different than the hdc
you have listed above u must change it. Go to etc/fstab
in the cdrom area change it. Then to mount u should simply just type "mount
/mnt/cdrom"

~Justin

cdrom mount error: kernel does not recognize /dev/hdc as a block device?

Post by tom bergerso » Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:00:00

i have fixed the problem.  with apologies to mr. bumby, it turns out that
the acer 685a 8x cdrom was the problem.  i bought a toshiba 6502b 40x atapi
cdrom and put it in and it mounts normally, reads data cds and plays audio
cds.  i went so far as to call acer to verify that their cdrom was a fully
atapi compliant unit and they assured me that it was.  however, on a
motherboard with their own chipset (ali or acer labs inc 15x3 on an asus
p5a motherboard)  the old 8x cdrom does not register as a valid block
device, even after i recompiled my kernel with support for their chipset,
whereas the toshiba does.  eureka!

tom bergerson

btw, thanks to all who replied.

> when i try to mount (mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom) my Acer 685A
> 8x cdrom, i get the following error:

> The kernel does not recognize /dev/hdc as a block device (maybe 'insmod
> driver'?)

> my setup is Asus P5a with ali 15x3 chipset on rh 6.0  in order to load
> from the cdrom when installing i passed the following to boot:  linux
> hdc=cdrom.  so install worked.  OK so i recompiled the kernel, version
> 2.2.9, and applied the ide patch at www.dyer.vanderbilt.edu to get the
> kernel to "see" my chipset correctly.  so now it sees the chipset and
> performance is better.  i had to remove the linux hdc=cdrom bit from
> lilo otherwise it wouldnt boot at all, and in any event, with the new
> ali chipset support, the system should find the cdrom on its own.

> of course in the block devices section of xconfig i compiled in

> Normal PC Floppy disk support
> Enhanced IDE/MFM/RLL disk ... support
> Include IDE/ATA-2 DISK support
> Include ide/atapi cdrom support
> Generic PCI IDE chipset support
> Use DMA by default when available
> ALI M15x3 chipset support

> i do not really want to use SCSI emulation, and i do not believe it
> should be necessary since the ACER 685A is a standard IDE/ATAPI drive.
> Obviously, the error is inviting me to try a driver module.  should this
> be necessary?  wWhat am i missing here?

> tom bergerson

1. mount /mnt/cdrom ==> mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device

Hello,

I'm in trouble again.   My cdrom on RH6.0 used to mount using command-line
or linuxconf.

Now suddenly its stopped working -   when I try to mount using  "mount
/mnt/cdrom"  I
get rebuffed with :

   #mount  /mnt/cdrom
     mount:  the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device
                    (maybe 'insmod driver'? )

# insmod iso9660
    insmod:  iso9660: no module by that name found.

Linuxconf tells me its mounted successfully but obviously is failing in the
background.

It is unfortunate for me that Linux is giving me these problems as I am only
a beginner
really.   sigh!

thanks for expert advice...
noel

2. how do I clear pop mail "mailload locked" error?

3. mount /mnt/cdrom ==> the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device

4. Having problems receiving mail on machine with multiple IP/domains

5. cannot mount cdrom: kernel doesn't recognize /dev/cdrom block device

6. : Shoot me, but Mac hyperstacks?

7. Kernel (2.2.9) dos not recognize syjet (/dev/sda1) as a block device

8. license enrolment problem

9. MKINITRD: mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/loop0 as a block device

10. mount: /dev/hdc is not a block device

11. mount err: does not recognize /dev/sda4 as block device

12. the kernel does not recognize /dev/fd0 as a block device (maybe 'insmod driver'?)