help installing ne2000 clone network card on red hat 6.0

help installing ne2000 clone network card on red hat 6.0

Post by zeetbo » Sun, 06 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I read the how to's, The card is UMC 9008f.I used a dos utilities disc
to configure the card.. I set it at i/o 340 and irq 3 so as not to
conflict with my sb 16 sound card.But it is not recognized on liloboot
up. then edited my etc/config module.
first ne=0x340 then ether=0, 0x340. each time when rebooting The
soundcard modules fail and say urecognizable ne module as well as
ether module dependig on which line was in etc/modules
Help please
Greg

Post by Dances With Crow » Sun, 06 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> I used a dos utilities disc
> to configure the card.. I set it at i/o 340 and irq 3 so as not to
> conflict with my sb 16 sound card.But it is not recognized on liloboot
> up. then edited my etc/config module.
> first ne=0x340 then ether=0, 0x340. each time when rebooting The
> soundcard modules fail and say urecognizable ne module as well as
> ether module dependig on which line was in etc/modules

I believe the syntax you need in /etc/conf.modules goes like so:
   alias eth0 ne
   options ne irq=3 io=0x340
   alias sound sb16
   options sb16 irq=5 io=0x220 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330
   # replace those values with the actual ones from your card
Messing up those lines can have effects similar to what you describe.
I'm not even sure if your conf.modules was correct at any point, since
the message above is semi-incoherent.

Please also note that ttyS1 (COM2 under MS-DOG) uses IRQ 3 by default,
so you will probably have to disable that serial port in the BIOS to get
your ne2000 to work.

If you continue to have problems, you can get an ne2000 PCI card for
$CHEAP most places, and PCI cards are a hell of a lot easier to set up
in general.  You probably won't have to disable ttyS1 either....

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows     \ http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mhgraham
There is no Darkness in Eternity\----\  C grinder, Perl novice

help installing ne2000 clone network card on red hat 6.0

Post by zeetbo » Sun, 06 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>> I used a dos utilities disc
>> to configure the card.. I set it at i/o 340 and irq 3 so as not to
>> conflict with my sb 16 sound card.But it is not recognized on liloboot
>> up. then edited my etc/config module.
>> first ne=0x340 then ether=0, 0x340. each time when rebooting The
>> soundcard modules fail and say urecognizable ne module as well as
>> ether module dependig on which line was in etc/modules

>I believe the syntax you need in /etc/conf.modules goes like so:
>   alias eth0 ne
>   options ne irq=3 io=0x340
>   alias sound sb16
>   options sb16 irq=5 io=0x220 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330
>   # replace those values with the actual ones from your card
>Messing up those lines can have effects similar to what you describe.
>I'm not even sure if your conf.modules was correct at any point, since
>the message above is semi-incoherent.

>Please also note that ttyS1 (COM2 under MS-DOG) uses IRQ 3 by default,
>so you will probably have to disable that serial port in the BIOS to get
>your ne2000 to work.

>If you continue to have problems, you can get an ne2000 PCI card for
>$CHEAP most places, and PCI cards are a hell of a lot easier to set up
>in general.  You probably won't have to disable ttyS1 either....

Yeah but then I dont learn anything.
Thanks for the suggestion though I'll give it a try. Sorry if my
description of my problem is not as good as it should be.
Greg

help installing ne2000 clone network card on red hat 6.0

Post by zeetbo » Sun, 06 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>> I used a dos utilities disc
>> to configure the card.. I set it at i/o 340 and irq 3 so as not to
>> conflict with my sb 16 sound card.But it is not recognized on liloboot
>> up. then edited my etc/config module.
>> first ne=0x340 then ether=0, 0x340. each time when rebooting The
>> soundcard modules fail and say urecognizable ne module as well as
>> ether module dependig on which line was in etc/modules

>I believe the syntax you need in /etc/conf.modules goes like so:
>   alias eth0 ne
>   options ne irq=3 io=0x340
>   alias sound sb16
>   options sb16 irq=5 io=0x220 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330
>   # replace those values with the actual ones from your card
>Messing up those lines can have effects similar to what you describe.
>I'm not even sure if your conf.modules was correct at any point, since
>the message above is semi-incoherent.

>Please also note that ttyS1 (COM2 under MS-DOG) uses IRQ 3 by default,
>so you will probably have to disable that serial port in the BIOS to get
>your ne2000 to work.

>If you continue to have problems, you can get an ne2000 PCI card for
>$CHEAP most places, and PCI cards are a hell of a lot easier to set up
>in general.  You probably won't have to disable ttyS1 either....

I editied etc/conf.modules as suggested. I dont get any failed modules
on boot but I also dont see the card recognized, when I type dmesg |
more. also there seems to be no conflict with my mouse.
Should I try a different IRQ and I/O?

1. Red Hat 6.0 and Generic NE2000 clone.

Hedo everyone,

I am having trouble using a generic ISA NE2K clone card in a 486 machine w/
Red hat 6.0.
I know the IRQ and Base I/O addy, but that does not seem to be enough info
for Linux to communicate w/ the card.
Does anyone know of any 'extra settings' that I might need to input to get
this baby working?

You know what should be removed from the addy to make it work.

Thanks much,
Tony

2. Gnome Icons missing

3. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

4. mosaic+term? and getting my old lp to work

5. Installing RealProducer Plus 6.0 in Red Hat Linux 6.0

6. Automated SysAdmin; Dot Files; HP-UX porting (ver: Dec 16, 2004)

7. Red Hat 6.0 custom install: dns/network problems

8. NFS Problem

9. Help!! Red Hat 6.0/Linksys BEFSR41 networking

10. Red Hat 6.0 Home network, need help.

11. Red Hat 6.0 install errors: "Install bootloader"

12. HELP ON INSTALLING RED-HAT 6.0

13. Help installing Red Hat 6.0