TV HELP, pls... compiling problems

Post by Josh Mille » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

    I have an intel smart video recorder III which uses the bt848
chipset, so it should work in linux. It's not a tv tuner card, but I can
watch tv with it in win95 via the preview in the capture software and it
supports video overlay.

    I've checked out the normal sites I could find...
http://www.thp.Uni-Koeln.DE/~rjkm/linux/bttv.html
www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/vic/
linuxtv.openprojects.net/
http://www.exploits.org/v4l/
 http://linuxtv.openprojects.net/
 http://www.in-berlin.de/User/kraxel/xawtv.html
 http://www.ee.up.ac.za/~justin/bttv/

I downloaded and attempted compiling bttv 0.5.19 (i think... I got the
most recent one). I also got xawtv and xwintv and tried compiling them.
I think bttv compiled correctly (I did get an error when it was
compiling some of the apps for it, but I did get the /dev/bttv* files).
xwintv, xtvscreen, and xawtv wouldn't compile. I'm not sure why though.
I've gone through all the readme's and INSTALL docs in every directory,
and I'm running out of programs to try to get to work :-).
Do I have to have the source for the various apps in any certain
directory? or will it find my /usr/src/linux/* files by itself?
What I'd really like to find, is a precompiled binary compatable with
RedHat5.1 intel... maybe even an rpm?
xawtv's doc's said it contained a binary in the i386 dir of the
package... but there wasn't even any i386 dir there! lol.... and no
precompiled binaries of the program to be found anywhere else.

I've searched the linux.org and redhat sites for all these programs, but
couldn't even find any referance to them at either place, guess I was
lucky to find what I did find.

I've got error messages from all the various attempt to compile, if
needed. It's a lot to post, and I'd rather find a precompiled program
than figure out my compiling problems, so I'm leaving them off unless
needed.

If you've got, or can get, a precompiled binary compatable with RH5.1
intel, I've got an ftp site you can upload it to... or you could just
e-mail it to me... I'd really really really appreaciate either of those.
(or if you know of a site that hosts such programs)
Otherwise, any help would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all,
Josh I.

TV HELP, pls... compiling problems

Post by Josh Mille » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

BTW- lsmod shows the following:
Module                Pages        Used by
videodev                    1                0
nls_iso8859_1           1                1 (autoclean)
nls_cp437                   1                1 (autoclean)
vfat                               4                1 (autoclean)
eexpress                    3                  1
3c59x                          4                 1 (autoclean)
opl3                            3                  0
sb                                 6                  0
uart401                       2  [sb]        0
sound                        16  [opl3 sb uart401]            0

dmesg shows the following: (attached as a file... should be at very end of
message)

I got a xawtv copied from someone who had it working, and tried it on my
box.... when I run it with the options listed in the README for running it
without compiling it, I get the following:
this is xawtv-2.21
sh: v4l-conf: command not found
v4l-conf had some trouble, trying to continue anyway
VidMode: server=0.8, include=0.8
    available video modes(s): 1024x768 640x480
Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-ledfixed-meduim-r-semicondensed--39-*"
to type FontStruct
open /dev/video: Operation not supported by device
no video grabber device available
#

I don't know what all steps I missed, or if my board is just not
compatable... or what.
insmod videodev gives me:
insmod: videodev: no module by that name
But just above you can see lsmod listed it by that name... what's going on
there? sorry, I'm new to trying to get new modules to work. I've read all
the man/HOW-TO pages I could find, but I can't figure it out.

Any help?
josh

> Hello,

>     I have an intel smart video recorder III which uses the bt848
> chipset, so it should work in linux. It's not a tv tuner card, but I can
> watch tv with it in win95 via the preview in the capture software and it
> supports video overlay.

>     I've checked out the normal sites I could find...
> http://www.thp.Uni-Koeln.DE/~rjkm/linux/bttv.html
> www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/vic/
> linuxtv.openprojects.net/
> http://www.exploits.org/v4l/
>  http://linuxtv.openprojects.net/
>  http://www.in-berlin.de/User/kraxel/xawtv.html
>  http://www.ee.up.ac.za/~justin/bttv/

> I downloaded and attempted compiling bttv 0.5.19 (i think... I got the
> most recent one). I also got xawtv and xwintv and tried compiling them.
> I think bttv compiled correctly (I did get an error when it was
> compiling some of the apps for it, but I did get the /dev/bttv* files).
> xwintv, xtvscreen, and xawtv wouldn't compile. I'm not sure why though.
> I've gone through all the readme's and INSTALL docs in every directory,
> and I'm running out of programs to try to get to work :-).
> Do I have to have the source for the various apps in any certain
> directory? or will it find my /usr/src/linux/* files by itself?
> What I'd really like to find, is a precompiled binary compatable with
> RedHat5.1 intel... maybe even an rpm?
> xawtv's doc's said it contained a binary in the i386 dir of the
> package... but there wasn't even any i386 dir there! lol.... and no
> precompiled binaries of the program to be found anywhere else.

> I've searched the linux.org and redhat sites for all these programs, but
> couldn't even find any referance to them at either place, guess I was
> lucky to find what I did find.

> I've got error messages from all the various attempt to compile, if
> needed. It's a lot to post, and I'd rather find a precompiled program
> than figure out my compiling problems, so I'm leaving them off unless
> needed.

> If you've got, or can get, a precompiled binary compatable with RH5.1
> intel, I've got an ftp site you can upload it to... or you could just
> e-mail it to me... I'd really really really appreaciate either of those.
> (or if you know of a site that hosts such programs)
> Otherwise, any help would also be greatly appreciated.

> Thank you all,
> Josh I.

[ dmesg.test 3K ]
Console: 16 point font, 400 scans
Console: colour VGA+ 80x25, 1 virtual console (max 63)
pcibios_init : BIOS32 Service Directory structure at 0x000faf20
pcibios_init : BIOS32 Service Directory entry at 0xfb3a0
pcibios_init : PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfb3d0
Probing PCI hardware.
Calibrating delay loop.. ok - 599.65 BogoMIPS
Memory: 63160k/65536k available (732k kernel code, 384k reserved, 1260k data)
Swansea University Computer Society NET3.035 for Linux 2.0
NET3: Unix domain sockets 0.13 for Linux NET3.035.
Swansea University Computer Society TCP/IP for NET3.034
IP Protocols: IGMP, ICMP, UDP, TCP
VFS: Diskquotas version dquot_5.6.0 initialized
Checking 386/387 coupling... Ok, fpu using exception 16 error reporting.
Checking 'hlt' instruction... Ok.

Starting kswapd v 1.4.2.2
Serial driver version 4.13 with no serial options enabled
tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
tty01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
PS/2 auxiliary pointing device detected -- driver installed.
Real Time Clock Driver v1.07
Ramdisk driver initialized : 16 ramdisks of 4096K size
hda: WDC AC22000L, 1907MB w/256kB Cache, CHS=969/64/63
hdb: CD-ROM 36X/AKU, ATAPI CDROM drive
hdc: Memorex CRW-1622, ATAPI CDROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
md driver 0.35 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8
scsi : 0 hosts.
scsi : detected total.
Partition check:
 hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6 hda7 hda8 hda9 >
Adding Swap: 122940k swap-space (priority -1)
Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
SB 4.13 detected OK (220)
Installed 0
YM3812 and OPL-3 driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen, Rob Hooft 1993-1996
sysctl: ip forwarding off
Swansea University Computer Society IPX 0.34 for NET3.035
IPX Portions Copyright (c) 1995 Caldera, Inc.
Appletalk 0.17 for Linux NET3.035
3c59x.c:v0.99 4/7/98 Donald Becker http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html
eth0: 3Com 3c900 Boomerang 10baseT at 0xf700, 00:60:97:36:d2:7d, IRQ 11
  8K word-wide RAM 3:5 Rx:Tx split, autoselect/10baseT interface.
  Enabling bus-master transmits and whole-frame receives.
eth1: EtherExpress at 0x240, IRQ 3, Interface 10baseT, 32k

Linux video capture interface: v0.01 ALPHA
i2c: initialized (i2c bus scan enabled)
i2c: driver registered: tuner
i2c: driver registered: msp3400
bttv0: Brooktree Bt848 (rev 18) bus: 0, devfn: 64, irq: 9, memory: 0xe4000000.
bttv: 1 Bt8xx card(s) found.
bttv0: PLL: 28636363 => 35468950 ... oops
bttv0: model: BT848(Intel)
i2c: bus registered: bt848-0
msp3400: chip reset failed, penguin on i2c bus?
i2c: bus unregistered: bt848-0
i2c: driver unregistered: msp3400
i2c: driver unregistered: tuner
Linux video capture interface: v0.01 ALPHA
i2c: initialized (i2c bus scan enabled)
i2c: driver registered: tuner
i2c: driver registered: msp3400
bttv0: Brooktree Bt848 (rev 18) bus: 0, devfn: 64, irq: 9, memory: 0xe4000000.
bttv: 1 Bt8xx card(s) found.
bttv0: PLL: 28636363 => 35468950 ... oops
bttv0: model: BT848(Intel)
i2c: bus registered: bt848-0
msp3400: chip reset failed, penguin on i2c bus?
i2c: bus unregistered: bt848-0
i2c: driver unregistered: msp3400
i2c: driver unregistered: tuner
Linux video capture interface: v0.01 ALPHA
Linux video capture interface: v0.01 ALPHA

TV HELP, pls... compiling problems

Post by Josh Mille » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

one more note...
I got xawtv to run finally... and it displays and image when set to nsca,
composite, nsca-cable.
But the image is all messed... lots of horizontal fuzzing, it's in black
and white, and there are multiple images displayed.
I'm guessing it's something with the setup of the bttv driver, but I dont'
know... any ideas?

josh

> Hello,

>     I have an intel smart video recorder III which uses the bt848
> chipset, so it should work in linux. It's not a tv tuner card, but I can
> watch tv with it in win95 via the preview in the capture software and it
> supports video overlay.

>     I've checked out the normal sites I could find...
> http://www.thp.Uni-Koeln.DE/~rjkm/linux/bttv.html
> www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/vic/
> linuxtv.openprojects.net/
> http://www.exploits.org/v4l/
>  http://linuxtv.openprojects.net/
>  http://www.in-berlin.de/User/kraxel/xawtv.html
>  http://www.ee.up.ac.za/~justin/bttv/

> I downloaded and attempted compiling bttv 0.5.19 (i think... I got the
> most recent one). I also got xawtv and xwintv and tried compiling them.
> I think bttv compiled correctly (I did get an error when it was
> compiling some of the apps for it, but I did get the /dev/bttv* files).
> xwintv, xtvscreen, and xawtv wouldn't compile. I'm not sure why though.
> I've gone through all the readme's and INSTALL docs in every directory,
> and I'm running out of programs to try to get to work :-).
> Do I have to have the source for the various apps in any certain
> directory? or will it find my /usr/src/linux/* files by itself?
> What I'd really like to find, is a precompiled binary compatable with
> RedHat5.1 intel... maybe even an rpm?
> xawtv's doc's said it contained a binary in the i386 dir of the
> package... but there wasn't even any i386 dir there! lol.... and no
> precompiled binaries of the program to be found anywhere else.

> I've searched the linux.org and redhat sites for all these programs, but
> couldn't even find any referance to them at either place, guess I was
> lucky to find what I did find.

> I've got error messages from all the various attempt to compile, if
> needed. It's a lot to post, and I'd rather find a precompiled program
> than figure out my compiling problems, so I'm leaving them off unless
> needed.

> If you've got, or can get, a precompiled binary compatable with RH5.1
> intel, I've got an ftp site you can upload it to... or you could just
> e-mail it to me... I'd really really really appreaciate either of those.
> (or if you know of a site that hosts such programs)
> Otherwise, any help would also be greatly appreciated.

> Thank you all,
> Josh I.

TV HELP, pls... compiling problems

Post by Josh Mille » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> one more note...
> I got xawtv to run finally... and it displays and image when set to nsca,
> composite, nsca-cable.
> But the image is all messed... lots of horizontal fuzzing, it's in black
> and white, and there are multiple images displayed.
> I'm guessing it's something with the setup of the bttv driver, but I dont'
> know... any ideas?

            Ok... it still is like the above mentions, but when I capture the
capture looks great (640x480, perfect picture). So how do I get the steaming
image on my desktop to look right?

> josh

> > Hello,

> >     I have an intel smart video recorder III which uses the bt848
> > chipset, so it should work in linux. It's not a tv tuner card, but I can
> > watch tv with it in win95 via the preview in the capture software and it
> > supports video overlay.

> >     I've checked out the normal sites I could find...
> > http://www.thp.Uni-Koeln.DE/~rjkm/linux/bttv.html
> > www-nrg.ee.lbl.gov/vic/
> > linuxtv.openprojects.net/
> > http://www.exploits.org/v4l/
> >  http://linuxtv.openprojects.net/
> >  http://www.in-berlin.de/User/kraxel/xawtv.html
> >  http://www.ee.up.ac.za/~justin/bttv/

> > I downloaded and attempted compiling bttv 0.5.19 (i think... I got the
> > most recent one). I also got xawtv and xwintv and tried compiling them.
> > I think bttv compiled correctly (I did get an error when it was
> > compiling some of the apps for it, but I did get the /dev/bttv* files).
> > xwintv, xtvscreen, and xawtv wouldn't compile. I'm not sure why though.
> > I've gone through all the readme's and INSTALL docs in every directory,
> > and I'm running out of programs to try to get to work :-).
> > Do I have to have the source for the various apps in any certain
> > directory? or will it find my /usr/src/linux/* files by itself?
> > What I'd really like to find, is a precompiled binary compatable with
> > RedHat5.1 intel... maybe even an rpm?
> > xawtv's doc's said it contained a binary in the i386 dir of the
> > package... but there wasn't even any i386 dir there! lol.... and no
> > precompiled binaries of the program to be found anywhere else.

> > I've searched the linux.org and redhat sites for all these programs, but
> > couldn't even find any referance to them at either place, guess I was
> > lucky to find what I did find.

> > I've got error messages from all the various attempt to compile, if
> > needed. It's a lot to post, and I'd rather find a precompiled program
> > than figure out my compiling problems, so I'm leaving them off unless
> > needed.

> > If you've got, or can get, a precompiled binary compatable with RH5.1
> > intel, I've got an ftp site you can upload it to... or you could just
> > e-mail it to me... I'd really really really appreaciate either of those.
> > (or if you know of a site that hosts such programs)
> > Otherwise, any help would also be greatly appreciated.

> > Thank you all,
> > Josh I.

TV HELP, pls... compiling problems

Post by Josh Mille » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Sorry....

I got it working now thanks to some help from someone via e-mail and lot's
of tweaking and fooling around.
If anyone has an Intel Smart Video Recorder III and need to get it to work
in linux, I can help.

It was a combination of getting my crystal settting right and the refresh
of my screen.

thanks all,

josh