help: mix parity /w non parity RAM?

Post by Cyril Di » Sat, 03 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I bought a new triton motherboard and I have
no idea whether I can use my `old' 36 bit RAM on
it with newer 32 bit RAM :

I would turn parity off in my AMI BIOS of course.

(all 8MB, 70ns double sided SIMMS)

The motherboard says : use SIMMS of equal type and
size .. a bit vague for my small knowledge...

All I know is that the triton chipset doesn't take
advantage of parity...so

to mix or not to mix?

Please help, as vendors usually never can't help
much....

Cyril.

1. Parity vs Non-Parity RAM

Howdy...

I acquired the FreeBSD book from Walnut Creek with 2.1.5 on a CD set. I'm about to build a box to install it in,
and while reading the book, ran across a discussion on the various mother boards to consider. The issue that I'm
currently concerned about has to do with the parity issue. The new mother boards seem to prefer non-parity ram
(which makes absoultely _no_ sense to me, $ aside), but also employ alot of "new" variations of RAM, such as EDO,
etc. Once upon a time I could keep with these variations, but not anymore. Could someone please bring me up to
speed on the stability of FreeBSD in a non-parity system, and how these other RAM solutions fit into the picture?

I hope this is not too far off topic for this group....

Thanx!
-bk

2. Q: Graphic Card for PCI

3. RAM-parity vs non-parity

4. xf86_w32

5. simms: parity/non-parity?

6. networkcard setup

7. MB accepts parity or non-parity SIMMs, which to choose?

8. Large Block Device testing -- preliminary results.

9. parity vs. non-parity memory ???

10. Parity chips on non parity MB

11. Parity vs. non-parity for linux ??

12. non-parity ram problem

13. Mixing memory speeds --> parity errors BUT..