Adaptec AIC-7890/60 and RedHat 5.2 boot/install solution

Adaptec AIC-7890/60 and RedHat 5.2 boot/install solution

Post by Stuart Nutta » Tue, 02 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Dear all,

For those of you who are still looking for a solution to the Ultra 2 Wide
problem, here's how to do it (it's pretty simply):

1) Put your RedHat 5.2 autoboot CD in the drive and select Expert
installation;
2) Boot from the CD-ROM drive and select your language and country;
3) Choose the CD-ROM installation source and do SCSI
4) Select the Adaptec xx/xx/2940 option (I can't remember what the other
models are)
5) Specify parameters, *don't choose AutoProbe*
6) enter aic7xxx=no_probe
7) continue your installation

Any (basic) questions, email me.

Stu

1. Redhat 5.2 and AIC-7890 SCSI

I am in a bind, I purchases a SuperMicro P6SBU with an
onboard SCSI (AIC-7890).
Redhat seemed to install without incident, but then I
started to get CRC errors when I try to reboot, or when
trying to read the filesystem (it seems to boot ok from
floppy).  I don't see the AIC-7890 on the HCL, but have
seen several references suggesting that Linux 2.0.36 (which
is what I have) does.
My vendor "doesn't support Linux " and SuperMicro is
equally helpful (the response I got was semi-literate
telling me to "contact my Linux ").
I tried to contact Redhat, but lost my "support number".
The system is back at the vendor for "check out"
(installing Win 98 to prove it's a Linux problem).  In the
meantime I'm getting desperate enough to switch back to NT
(and associated licensing, "support", etc.).
Obviously I'm new to Linux, and unfamiliar with SCSI
drives.  Does anyone know if this hardware will work, and
if so, can a novice fix it?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. Serial Driver

3. RedHat 5.1 & Adaptec AIC-7890 problem

4. Installing a precompiled kernel

5. Help for RedHat & Adaptec AIC-7890 / 2940 U2W

6. Question about NetConfig: netcfg.

7. RH 5.2 and AIC-7890 Ultra2 SCSI controller

8. Strange connectors on RS/6000 320H

9. Redhat 5.2 and Asus P2bds using AIC 7890

10. AIC-7890 & Installing redhat 5.1

11. Redhat 5.2 and Asus P2bds using AIC 7890

12. REDHAT 6.0 wont INSTALL - DELL 410 WORKSTATION w/ SCSI AIC-7890

13. Asus P2B-S motherboard with on-board Adaptec AIC-7890