Sony AIT tape drives

Post by Joerg Lenne » Sat, 22 Jun 2002 04:56:25

Dear all,

I am thinking of aquiring a Sony Storstation AIT90i, which uses Sonys
fancy new tape format. The drive hangs off a LVD SCSI controller and
I'll be using a Tekram DC390 U2W for that purpose. My question is, is
anybody using this tape drive under Linux and are there any pitfalls
to be aware of? I am asking this because according to the data sheets
the drive stores various bits of information on a chip inside the
tapes themselves, a feature I do not need at the moment. Basically I
just want the drive to appear as a normal block device that can be
written to by tar/cpio.

Many thanks in advance,

--

Joerg Lenneis

Sony AIT tape drives

Post by Vilmos Sot » Sat, 22 Jun 2002 06:18:33

> I am thinking of aquiring a Sony Storstation AIT90i, which uses Sonys
> fancy new tape format. The drive hangs off a LVD SCSI controller and
> I'll be using a Tekram DC390 U2W for that purpose. My question is, is
> anybody using this tape drive under Linux and are there any pitfalls
> to be aware of? I am asking this because according to the data sheets
> the drive stores various bits of information on a chip inside the
> tapes themselves, a feature I do not need at the moment. Basically I
> just want the drive to appear as a normal block device that can be
> written to by tar/cpio.

We use them at work, but we use Adaptec AIC7XXX controllers.

The drives do show up as /dev/stx or /dev/nstx devices and we use
tar to write to them. We are very satisfied with the drives since
they are fast and can hold a lot of data.

Vilmos

Sony AIT tape drives

Post by Hostasaurus.Com - David Hubbar » Sat, 22 Jun 2002 08:37:08

> Dear all,

> I am thinking of aquiring a Sony Storstation AIT90i, which uses Sonys
> fancy new tape format. The drive hangs off a LVD SCSI controller and
> I'll be using a Tekram DC390 U2W for that purpose. My question is, is
> anybody using this tape drive under Linux and are there any pitfalls
> to be aware of? I am asking this because according to the data sheets
> the drive stores various bits of information on a chip inside the
> tapes themselves, a feature I do not need at the moment. Basically I
> just want the drive to appear as a normal block device that can be
> written to by tar/cpio.

> Many thanks in advance,

Don't worry about the memory in cartridge (MIC) feature, it's not
used by any software.  It's basically wasted money that you are
forced to have in each tape.

But anyway, I run those drives without any issues on Adaptec
controllers using Veritas NetBackup Business Server for Linux, it
works great.  It just shows up as devices though so my using
NetBackup is no different than anything else, they should work great
for you.

David