Striping 2 Disks across Dual IDE controllers

Striping 2 Disks across Dual IDE controllers

Post by Michael T. Mayer » Wed, 15 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Is it possible to stripe (in parallel) 2 identical HD's across dual
(identical)
  IDE controllers? Or will this only work for SCSI?

MTM

//////////////////////////////////
// Michael T. Mayers
// Idol Minds, LLC

Striping 2 Disks across Dual IDE controllers

Post by Frank Sweetse » Wed, 15 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Is it possible to stripe (in parallel) 2 identical HD's across dual
> (identical)
>   IDE controllers? Or will this only work for SCSI?

yes, the software md raid drivers will work for ide as well as scsi.  heck,
you could raid a couple of floppies together, if you were really *ic
;^)

paramount.res.wpi.net RedHat 5.1 kernel 2.1.109pr2 i586  | at public servers

Quote:> I'm an idiot.. At least this [bug] took about 5 minutes to find..

We need to find some new terms to describe the rest of us mere mortals
then.
(Craig Schlenter in response to Linus Torvalds's mailing about a kernel bug.)

Striping 2 Disks across Dual IDE controllers

Post by Roy Batt » Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:00:00

However,
the md-driver does not work on CD-ROMs!
No kidding, I was thinking of creating
a stripe-set on two 650-MB harddisk-partitions
(ext2) and then burning them to CD-Recordables.

But mdcreate refuses to work with CD-ROM devices. Why?

Post by Daniel Erskin » Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> However,
> the md-driver does not work on CD-ROMs!
> No kidding, I was thinking of creating
> a stripe-set on two 650-MB harddisk-partitions
> (ext2) and then burning them to CD-Recordables.

> But mdcreate refuses to work with CD-ROM devices. Why?

> > > Is it possible to stripe (in parallel) 2 identical HD's across dual
> > > (identical)
> > >   IDE controllers? Or will this only work for SCSI?

> > yes, the software md raid drivers will work for ide as well as scsi.  heck,
> > you could raid a couple of floppies together, if you were really *ic
> > ;^)

> > --
> > Frank Sweetser rasmusin at wpi.edu fsweetser at blee.net | PGP key available
> > paramount.res.wpi.net RedHat 5.1 kernel 2.1.109pr2 i586  | at public servers
> > > I'm an idiot.. At least this [bug] took about 5 minutes to find..
> > We need to find some new terms to describe the rest of us mere mortals
> > then.
> > (Craig Schlenter in response to Linus Torvalds's mailing about a kernel bug.)

Greetings:
  I wonder if it's because you're trying to stripe ISO9660 (CDROM)
formatted
media vice standard hard drive formats (ext2fs, ufs, vfat, msdos, etc).

Hope this helps,
    THE PRECEDING REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF THE AUTHOR
   AND NOT, NECESSARILY, THE VIEWS OF EDWARD JONES.

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

Striping 2 Disks across Dual IDE controllers

Post by Roy Batt » Sat, 18 Jul 1998 04:00:00

No, I'm not talking of ISO9660 here. You can burn an ext2-
filesystem on a CD. I've done this already.
In fact you can burn ANY filesystem to a CD-R(W).
The problem is that most operating systems just do not
expect to find a filesystem other than ISO9660 (or
extensions to them like MS Joliet) on a CD.
That is why I could create a NTFS-CD with Linux but
would not be able to read it with WinNT...

> Greetings:
>   I wonder if it's because you're trying to stripe ISO9660 (CDROM)
> formatted
> media vice standard hard drive formats (ext2fs, ufs, vfat, msdos, etc).

> Hope this helps,

Striping 2 Disks across Dual IDE controllers

Post by David Rudd » Sat, 18 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>That is why I could create a NTFS-CD with Linux but
>would not be able to read it with WinNT...

Linux can write NTFS?  When did this happen?  Can you point me to a
kernel, web page or someother pointer?

Post by Greg Hughe » Sat, 18 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> Linux can write NTFS?  When did this happen?  Can you point me to a
> kernel, web page or someother pointer?

The experimental (2.1.x) kernels have support for writing NTFS.  Never
tried it out though.

--
+--------------------------+--------------------------------+
|       Greg Hughes        | Linux 2.1.109 / Pentium-II 300 |

+--------------------------+--------------------------------+

Striping 2 Disks across Dual IDE controllers

Post by Roy Batt » Sun, 19 Jul 1998 04:00:00

No, not at filesystem-level (not yet). I was thinking of writing
a raw NTFS-partition to a CD-R.
You would boot NT on the PC, create a 650 (or less) MB NTFS-
partition with NT, then boot Linux and write the raw partition
to a CD-R (although you can do the CD-writing with other OSs and
software, too).
You then would be able to mount this CD-ROM under Linux with
its NTFS-readonly-driver.