Maximum number of NIC supported in Linux

Maximum number of NIC supported in Linux

Post by Chong Poh Ki » Wed, 26 Sep 2001 22:34:32

Hi all,
Just wanted to ask if any of you guys/gals know the maximum number of NICs
supported in Linux?
Can it support more than 4?
Thanks!

--

Chong Poh Kit
Multimedia University, Malaysia

Maximum number of NIC supported in Linux

Post by patr.. » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 04:02:54

i remember 4(or 8) was the previous limitation.  now i am positive it's at
least 16, and maybe more.  all damn docs i read before the kernel came out
highlighted this, plus the additional ide intefaces supported, among
others, but they're damned hard to find now.  2.4 = at least 16 nics.
you're all set.

1. Maximum number of NIC's in a Linux Router ??

Good Day : I have a 486 that I am going to make into a router as soon as
Time Warner drops my cable line. I want to hook up at least 3 maybe 4
windows machines, 4 machines means 5 cards in the Linux box I think. Is this
too many? Am I gonna have config issues ? Thanks Alot.

2. xmkmf X11R6 problems?

3. maximum number of Ethernet ports (NIC cards) on Linux Red Hat 8 machine

4. html, c-program and linux

5. What is maximum number of CPUs supported by linux

6. ALSA update 0.9.3c

7. maximum number of nics

8. NE2000 under DosLinux

9. Maximum number of NICs

10. Attn. experts: maximum number of drives supported?

11. maximum number of threads supported?

12. Max number of NICs supported?

13. What is the Maximum number of Routes I can add to a Linux box.