3Com ADSL HomeConnect PCI Modem

Post by Willo » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Buscando semanas en miles de foros y tirandom un montn de noches
delante de mis maquinas intentando de solucionar el problema de
configurar mi Tarjeta ADSL 3Com HomeConnect PCI (no tengo ni puto plan
de Linux, pero lo necesitoooooooo!!!!!) he enviado un email al Supporte
Tcnico de 3Com solucionando drivers para Linux. Hoy he recibido el
sigiuente mensaje:

Hello Admin,

Thank you for contacting 3Com Online Support. I see you have a question
about obtaining Linux drivers for the ADSL modem.

Admin, we currently do not have Linux drivers for our ADSL PCI modem.
Nor is it known when, if ever, Linux drivers will be available.
Currently the PCI ADSL modem is only supported under Windows 9x or
Windows NT 4.0.

However, the external ADSL modem can be used with any operating system
that supports an ethernet card.

Have we resolved your issue to your satisfaction today? If the response
we have provided you does not meet with your satisfaction, please reply
to this message with an explanation as to why.

Thank you,
David T.
3Com Online Support

Por si os sirve de algo.
A mi no!

3Com ADSL HomeConnect PCI Modem

Post by Willo » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Well, thats my answer to the 3Com support:

Hi,
I personally think that it is a shame that a multinational company like
yours, actually producing excellent products not having a better service to
your customers. I understand that this modem came onto the market in the
middle of 1999. That's nearly a year ago. But as on the box stated the
modem can be installed under Win9x,NT or Win2000. It works fine under Win98
but how can it work under Win2000 if Win2000 wasn't on the market and until
today there isn't any driver available for Win2000? Have you tested this
modem under Win2000? But thats not the point. I'm not interested in any
drivers for ANY Win version because Win sucks and not one of ALL the normal
working persons with an non gates income can afford to buy Windows 2000.
And the top of the Iceberg is that I was forced from my ISP to buy this
modem, because that was the only one they offered me. I wanted ADSL? So I
had to sign their contract. There was NO CHANCE for me to get just the
service from them and the Hardware from another provider. There were so
many complaints about them anyway. Just have a look at news.teleline.es
teleline.adsl. Looks to me like Gates Brother. But they have a REAL
monopolio here in spain. I got this modem three weeks ago and it cost me
$186. To put me online they charged me another $360. That is lots of money
for a modem and a service and now what? I cannot afford a new modem, I
cannot use Windows 'cause it sucks (not to talk about to run a webserver
with), I cannot afford WinNT nor Win2000 (which are known to be stable). If
you would exchange that internal modem with an external? How much money do
you loose every day in not selling a product because it hasn't support for
other os? You will loose more and more money because the days of Windows
are counted. Please keep in mind the 10 million of Linux users and the
number is growing every day. Can you be so ignorant to all of us? I dont
think it would cost you that much to put one person on to develop new
drivers for operating systems like linux but your prestige would grow very
much.
Thank you.