multiple disks->one partition

multiple disks->one partition

Post by Michael A. Stum » Thu, 26 Jun 1997 04:00:00



Hello!

  I have an 850 meg Maxtor HD and a 200 meg Western Digital hard
drive.  I have been using the 200 meg HD for my Linux partition, but
this has not been nearly enough for my *needs*.  I wish to use the 850
meg HD for Linux, but I have only regular IDE channels.  I have not
been able to use this hard drive for Linux before while using the
On-Track Manager-esque software I'm using, so  I would have to disable
that and only use the 504 meg, but that would be okay.

Here's the question: how can I use the part of the 850 meg and the 200
meg as ONE partition?  I've heard this can be done, and I am currently
reading the "Multiple disks mini-howto," but I can't find what I want.
Maybe I'm just missing something.

                        Thanks,

                                Michael

 
 
 

multiple disks->one partition

Post by Niall O Broi » Fri, 27 Jun 1997 04:00:00



>   I have an 850 meg Maxtor HD and a 200 meg Western Digital hard
> drive.  I have been using the 200 meg HD for my Linux partition, but
> this has not been nearly enough for my *needs*.  I wish to use the 850
> meg HD for Linux, but I have only regular IDE channels.  I have not
> been able to use this hard drive for Linux before while using the
> On-Track Manager-esque software I'm using, so  I would have to disable
> that and only use the 504 meg, but that would be okay.

The reason you have to use OnTrack is because your BIOS doesn't support
the larger disk. I think that with Linux, you'll be able to use the
whole disk. To check this, boot Linux and run fdisk on the disk and see
what it tells you about the disk geometry / size.

Quote:> Here's the question: how can I use the part of the 850 meg and the 200
> meg as ONE partition?  I've heard this can be done, and I am currently
> reading the "Multiple disks mini-howto,"

This is to some extent a mis-named HOWTO. What is does is suggest ways
of using multiple disks with Linux as to sensible partition layout e.g.
if you  have a 40M disk and a 100M disk, put / on the 40M disk and /usr
on the 100M etc. - in these days of disk space at about $100 / GB this
information is becoming obsolete.  To do what you want, you need the MD
driver, which makes multiple physical partitions into one logical
filesystem.  That said, you might be better off following the
recommendations in the HOWTO you are reading. The MD driver is really to
let people build arbitrarily large filesystems, and your two disks
tgether don't make a very big file system. I'd suggest that you might be
better off using your 200M disk for /, /usr and swap and then mount the
other disk as /usr/local (or whatever).

Hope this helps somewhat . . .

--
Kindest regards,

Niall  O Broin          


Ground Systems Engineering Department           Ph./Fax  +49 6151 90 3619/2179
European Space Operations Centre, Darmstadt, Germany

 
 
 

multiple disks->one partition

Post by dave massi » Sun, 29 Jun 1997 04:00:00


i think all you need to to is to: 1) partition the other disk into
whatever sizes you want for linux and everything else, remembering to
set the linux segment to ext2fs. 2) mount the new disk as usr2 (or
any name you wont be using when you are finished -- lets say usr2.
mount this filesystem under root. the command would be:
"mount -t extfs /dev/seconddiskname /usr2" 3) tar all the files
from the present location on the small disk to the new disk. if you were
going to move EVERYTHING in the current /usr directory structure the
command would be: first, "cd /usr" second, "tar cf - . | (cd /usr2; tar
xvf -), this should tar everything in the present directory and sent the
tarfile to the standard output, the standard output is piped to the
input of the command group that changes the current working directory
to /usr2, and everything is extracted to the current working directory
from the standard output. 4) next remove everything from the existing
/usr directory; "cd /", then "rm -r /usr" 5) finally, change the
/etc/fstab file to automatically mount the new disk as /usr (see the
/etc/fstab file for an example.

the  next time you boot the small disk will have the root and the new
disk will have all of the /usr filesystem


> Hello!

>   I have an 850 meg Maxtor HD and a 200 meg Western Digital hard
> drive.  I have been using the 200 meg HD for my Linux partition, but
> this has not been nearly enough for my *needs*.  I wish to use the 850
> meg HD for Linux, but I have only regular IDE channels.  I have not
> been able to use this hard drive for Linux before while using the
> On-Track Manager-esque software I'm using, so  I would have to disable
> that and only use the 504 meg, but that would be okay.

> Here's the question: how can I use the part of the 850 meg and the 200
> meg as ONE partition?  I've heard this can be done, and I am currently
> reading the "Multiple disks mini-howto," but I can't find what I want.
> Maybe I'm just missing something.

>                         Thanks,

>                                 Michael

 
 
 

1. multiple partitions on one disk

I'm installing Red Hat 5 using the hard drive method. I have a slackware
partition that I use to store the the directories that contain the base
/RedHat/base and /RedHat/RPMS files, files that I erase after completed
the Red Hat base installation.  I haven't found out yet how to make the
two partitions act as one.My hard drive is fairly small, 170 Mb.  My
Redhat partition/dev/hda3 has 120 Mb and my former Slackware install
partition has 44 Mb. I tried using the cabaret application, to mount my
/dev/hda2 partition under /usr to make the whole hard drive Red Hat and
install X-windows but to no avail.  Red Hat still considers /dev/hda2 and
/dev/hda3 as seperate partitions. Is it possible to merge partitions? How?

--

2. convert kernel from dual processor to single processor

3. One directory/partition across multiple disks

4. Is there any Solaris tools like "newusers" in Linux?

5. adding multiple disks into one partition - security question

6. Kernel 2.0.35 memory bug ??

7. multiple disks under one partition

8. Lots of Linux music software to download here

9. >4 partitions on one disk?

10. <><><> MOUNTING EXTENDED PARTITION <><><>

11. 2.5.70-bk[56] breaks disk partitioning with multiple IDE disks

12. partition a unix disk with one partition

13. One disk, one filesystem, no partitions?