USB multi-port hubs

Post by simon.. » Thu, 07 Dec 2000 15:25:08

   I am looking at buying a multi-port hub for my laptop (to act as a
   port replicator really) and have found the following three that
   contain the combination of serial/parallel/PS2/USB ports that I'm
   looking for.

      * Belkin - DockStation

      * Mobility EasiDock 200

      * Targus - Mobile Port Replicator

   I realise that USB is not really supported in the Linux kernel
   until 2.4.x but I don't know enough about USB to understand whether
   USB hubs need to have drivers written especially for them or
   whether it is just the devices that I want to connect to the hub
   will need to have drivers available for them.

   Any comments or suggestions to help with the decision (including
   other hubs that I haven't come across would be appreciated.

                                                ... Simon ...

USB multi-port hubs

Post by Brent Bor » Thu, 07 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Have a look at http://www.linux-usb.org

Quote:> I am looking at buying a multi-port hub for my laptop (to act as a
>    port replicator really) and have found the following three that
>    contain the combination of serial/parallel/PS2/USB ports that I'm
>    looking for.

>       * Belkin - DockStation

>       * Mobility EasiDock 200

>       * Targus - Mobile Port Replicator

>    I realise that USB is not really supported in the Linux kernel until
>    2.4.x but I don't know enough about USB to understand whether USB
>    hubs
>    need to have drivers written especially for them or whether it is
>    just the devices that I want to connect to the hub will need to have
>    drivers available for them.

>    Any comments or suggestions to help with the decision (including
>    other hubs that I haven't come across would be appreciated.

>                                                 ... Simon ...

USB multi-port hubs

Post by Gareth Randal » Thu, 07 Dec 2000 04:00:00

To my understanding, there is a USB hub built in as a fundamental part of almost every USB interface, and hence hub support is absolutely essential in every USB driver setup.

This is because there is only one root in USB. If you have two USB ports coming out of your system then it's because there is a two port hub integrated into the chipset which you don't see.

So although I haven't tried it, I think that any hub will be supported. Remember that the PS2 additions etc are separate functions, so will need their own drivers.

--
======= Gareth Randall =======