Getting installed RAM specs.

Post by Jamie M Scugl » Fri, 14 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Is there some way to gather the specifications of the RAM installed
in a PC?

For example, is there a program out there (preferably for Linux) that can
report the memory speed, whether it has parity or not, and whether it is
standard or EDO RAM?

Or is this information able to be read easily and directly from the printed
text on the SIMM chips?  I don't want to start pulling out my memory
if there is a program I can run to do the reporting for me.

Post by Mat » Fri, 14 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: Is there some way to gather the specifications of the RAM installed
: in a PC?
:

What information about you ram are you after specifically? If you have a
pentium, it is likely that their is two chips, since those boards require
that (so if you have 16, there's two 8meg simms).

If you want the speed in nanoseconds of you chips, the easiest way is to
pull one of them out, check the last digit on one of the chips. If it'
s a seven, their seventy nano, if its six, their sixty. Can't tell you
about EDO ram tho - never seen any myself.

Matt
--
Matt(hew) Jenkins. 2nd yr. Computer Science (RMIT Bundoora)

Running DOS 6.2, Linux 1.2.8 on a 486/100/12/540
I like: Toranas, Beer, and Surfing the Net.

Post by Kevin Lent » Sat, 15 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> : Is there some way to gather the specifications of the RAM installed
> : in a PC?
> :

> What information about you ram are you after specifically? If you have a
> pentium, it is likely that their is two chips, since those boards require
> that (so if you have 16, there's two 8meg simms).

That's very motherboard dependant. Intel Triton chipsets require SIMMs in
multiples of two. I have an SIS motherboard that doesn't.

Quote:> If you want the speed in nanoseconds of you chips, the easiest way is to
> pull one of them out, check the last digit on one of the chips. If it'
> s a seven, their seventy nano, if its six, their sixty. Can't tell you
> about EDO ram tho - never seen any myself.

Jamie, unless it's been bought very recently and then probably only if it's
been specifically noted as EDO, chances are that it isn't.
--
[======================================================================]

[  KeyId: 06808EED    FingerPrint: 6024308DE1F84314  811B511DBA6FD596  ]
[======================================================================]

Getting installed RAM specs.

Post by Rob Brownin » Mon, 17 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Is there some way to gather the specifications of the RAM installed
> in a PC?

On my machine, I think all that info is available from the BIOS config
screen.  I just started using mrbios (www.mrbios.com), and it provides
loads of info.  The BIOS you already have might also tell you.

--
Rob

Post by Terry Burt » Tue, 18 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>: Is there some way to gather the specifications of the RAM installed
>: in a PC?
Matt replied.......
>What information about you ram are you after specifically? If you have a
>pentium, it is likely that their is two chips, since those boards require
>that (so if you have 16, there's two 8meg simms).
>If you want the speed in nanoseconds of you chips, the easiest way is to
>pull one of them out, check the last digit on one of the chips. If it'
>s a seven, their seventy nano, if its six, their sixty. Can't tell you
>about EDO ram tho - never seen any myself.
>Matt

Hello Matt
I have an Osborne 486-66 with 4MB Memory chips marked with
the following:-
HYM 532100 AM
They are fast enough to be 70ns as advertised, but using
your suggested formula there is no way to confirm the speed.
As a matter of fact I still am unable to determine if they
are Parity chips.  Can anyone help please.?

Regards

--
  Tell
  Alice Springs NT

Getting installed RAM specs.

Post by Eric Horns » Sat, 22 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Hello all

Quote:>I have an Osborne 486-66 with 4MB Memory chips marked with
>the following:-
>HYM 532100 AM
>They are fast enough to be 70ns as advertised, but using
>your suggested formula there is no way to confirm the speed.
>As a matter of fact I still am unable to determine if they
>are Parity chips.  Can anyone help please.?

My experience is that chips are not uniform in their markings at all....but if
you have/can get the manual for your motherboard/computer, it will tell you
what sort of memory you need to upgrade with...otherwise contact the vendor -
they should also be able to tell you

Eric

1. Install 128MB RAM on 430VX chipset with 64MB cacheable RAM support

I have a MB with Intel 430VX chipset with 64MB cacheable RAM support.
Intel does not recommend to install more than 64MB because "my operating"
ssystem is loading from top, and what is load beyond 64MB is not cacheable
so the system is slow. See the following URL.

http://developer.intel.com/design/chipsets/applnots/memory.htm

However, Intel did not know that my operating system is Solaris 7.
My question is, is Solaris 7 a "loading from top" (memory wise)
operating system? How can I find it out?  Does Solaris 7 change the story of
what documented above?

Email reply is also welcome.

Thanks.

2. HELP TRANS AMERITECH RELEASE 4 CD

3. RAM specs for XP1000?

4. Is 256 chars max size for env. variables?

5. Getting specs from hardware manufacturer

6. RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection refused

7. SUMMARY: Getting ECHO to not interpret spec chars

8. named.boot & hosts files - are these correct use of

9. Kernel not getting all available ram ...

10. Getting size of really available ram (without swap)

11. suspend-to-ram: don't crash when kernel gets big

12. Getting Linux to see 128 MB of ram on BX board

13. Getting Linux to detect > 2G of RAM