Redhat 7.1 No cd sound - Help Please

Redhat 7.1 No cd sound - Help Please

Post by Mihai Lazaresc » Thu, 05 Jul 2001 14:47:39



Hello,

    I have recently upgraded my computer and after installing linux

I have the problem that I cannot hear any sound when I play CDs. Previously

I had Linux Mandrake 7.2 and I could play the CDs but RedHat 7.1 seems to

have a problem.

    My sound card is Soundblaster 128 PCI while the CDROM is a Sony 52

speed CDROM drive. I tried sndconfig and it works (I can hear the sound).

Can anyone please tell me why there is no sound when I play CDs?

                                                    Regards,

                                                      Mihai

 
 
 

Redhat 7.1 No cd sound - Help Please

Post by Jeffre » Fri, 06 Jul 2001 08:50:38



>     I have recently upgraded my computer and after installing linux
>  I have the problem that I cannot hear any sound when I play CDs. Previously
> I had Linux Mandrake 7.2 and I could play the CDs but RedHat 7.1 seems to
> have a problem.

  My sound card is Soundblaster 128 PCI while the CDROM is a Sony 52

Quote:> speed CDROM drive. I tried sndconfig and it works (I can hear the sound).
> Can anyone please tell me why there is no sound when I play CDs?

 This may sound like a stupid response but please don't take it as sutch
:-)

  Hmm...  I'd first check the audio mixer and make sure the CD isn't
muted and the
 volume bars are raised up and the main volume bar is up a little bit.

  If that doesn't work then make sure the plug from the cd-rom to the
sound card
 isn't loose, and lastly if you had a data cdrom in the drive before,
try unmounting
 the cdrom before putting an audio cd in.

   If these ideas don't work, maybe someone else has some ideas...
                            Just thinking off the top of my head...
                                                Jeff

 
 
 

Redhat 7.1 No cd sound - Help Please

Post by Mihai Lazaresc » Fri, 06 Jul 2001 11:13:07




> >     I have recently upgraded my computer and after installing linux
> >  I have the problem that I cannot hear any sound when I play CDs. Previously
> > I had Linux Mandrake 7.2 and I could play the CDs but RedHat 7.1 seems to
> > have a problem.
>   My sound card is Soundblaster 128 PCI while the CDROM is a Sony 52
> > speed CDROM drive. I tried sndconfig and it works (I can hear the sound).
> > Can anyone please tell me why there is no sound when I play CDs?

>  This may sound like a stupid response but please don't take it as sutch
> :-)

>   Hmm...  I'd first check the audio mixer and make sure the CD isn't
> muted and the
>  volume bars are raised up and the main volume bar is up a little bit.

>   If that doesn't work then make sure the plug from the cd-rom to the
> sound card
>  isn't loose, and lastly if you had a data cdrom in the drive before,
> try unmounting
>  the cdrom before putting an audio cd in.

>    If these ideas don't work, maybe someone else has some ideas...
>                             Just thinking off the top of my head...
>                                                 Jeff

Thanks for the help Jeff.

I actually tried the mixer setting before I posted the message (sorry, I should
have
said so) and there are no problems there. Same goes for the soundcard -
everything
is fine as Mandrake 7.2 (and a very old version of Slackware) used to work
without
problems.   I also made sure that CD drive was not mounted because as far as I
know
the audio CDs have a different format from the data CDs.

For some reason RedHat 7.1 is not working at all when I try to play CDs. Does
anyone
have any other ideas on what could be wrong, please?

Mihai

 
 
 

Redhat 7.1 No cd sound - Help Please

Post by Ronald Col » Sun, 08 Jul 2001 08:51:00



> For some reason RedHat 7.1 is not working at all when I try to play
> CDs. Does anyone have any other ideas on what could be wrong,
> please?

Have you rerun sndconfig?

--
Forte International, P.O. Box 1412, Ridgecrest, CA  93556-1412

President, CEO                             Fax: (760) 499-9152
My GPG fingerprint: C3AF 4BE9 BEA6 F1C2 B084  4A88 8851 E6C8 69E3 B00B

 
 
 

Redhat 7.1 No cd sound - Help Please

Post by Mihai Lazaresc » Tue, 10 Jul 2001 13:08:56




> > For some reason RedHat 7.1 is not working at all when I try to play
> > CDs. Does anyone have any other ideas on what could be wrong,
> > please?

> Have you rerun sndconfig?

> --
> Forte International, P.O. Box 1412, Ridgecrest, CA  93556-1412

> President, CEO                             Fax: (760) 499-9152
> My GPG fingerprint: C3AF 4BE9 BEA6 F1C2 B084  4A88 8851 E6C8 69E3 B00B

Yes, I have. Whatever the problem,  it sure is a beauty. Over the weekend
I
also reinstalled Rh7.1 and Mandrake7.2 and I got the same result.
Mandrake7.2 has no problem with the card, RH7.1 no sound. I am simply out

of ideas why the older Mandrake would work while RedHat  7.1 which is
supposedly better does not.

One last try - the sound file that is played when I run sndconfig is of
some
guy saying:
        "The way I pronounce Linux is Linucs"
Is that the correct output?

Thanks,

Mihai

Dr. Lazarescu Mihai Mugurel - Lecturer - Curtin University, Perth, WA

 
 
 

Redhat 7.1 No cd sound - Help Please

Post by Toby Hayne » Wed, 11 Jul 2001 23:43:03





>> > For some reason RedHat 7.1 is not working at all when I try to play
>> > CDs. Does anyone have any other ideas on what could be wrong, please?
>> Have you rerun sndconfig?
> Yes, I have. Whatever the problem, it sure is a beauty. Over the weekend I
> also reinstalled Rh7.1 and Mandrake7.2 and I got the same result.
> Mandrake7.2 has no problem with the card, RH7.1 no sound. I am simply out of
> ideas why the older Mandrake would work while RedHat 7.1 which is supposedly
> better does not.

RedHat 7.1 is running a 2.4 kernel, whereas Mandrake 7.2 is running the older
2.2 series. Not all the modules are working perfectly under the 2.4 series yet,
so you may just have hit a problem spot. That said, the SB 128PCI is a pretty
common piece of kit, so I'd be surprised if there was a problem with the kernel
driver.

You don't mention whether you are using the OSS drivers, the ALSA drivers or
the kernel modules for the SB? That might help. As sound works, but the CD
audio doesn't it does sound like a mixer problem. When you try to play the CD,
does the CD spin up? If it isn't spinning up, it might be a permission problem.

Cheers,

Toby Haynes

--

Toby Haynes
The views and opinions expressed in this message are my own, and do
not necessarily reflect those of IBM Canada.

 
 
 

Redhat 7.1 No cd sound - Help Please

Post by Gary Napolitan » Fri, 13 Jul 2001 11:30:55



> Hello,

>I have recently upgraded my computer and after installing linux
>I have the problem that I cannot hear any sound when I play CDs. Previously
>I had Linux Mandrake 7.2 and I could play the CDs but RedHat 7.1 seems to
>have a problem.

>My sound card is Soundblaster 128 PCI while the CDROM is a Sony 52
>speed CDROM drive. I tried sndconfig and it works (I can hear the sound).
> Can anyone please tell me why there is no sound when I play CDs?

RH 7.1 didn't run mine either. They seem to have meddled
with the driver for my Opti Audio card.

Even if I reinstalled the 7.0 sound was dead. I took the card
to a win 98 machine, and had 98 setup the PnP and then took it
back to the 7.1 machine. It works now.

    Regards,

      Gary

 
 
 

Redhat 7.1 No cd sound - Help Please

Post by LittleFis » Wed, 11 Jul 2001 21:29:12


My Redhat 7.1 install works great plays cd's great all I needed to do was go
to the mixer and crank the volume up. Is your card a PCI card or a ISA card?
Mine is a PCI ISA cards require you to run sndconfig and set it to
MicrosucksSoundSystem.
Littlefish



> > > For some reason RedHat 7.1 is not working at all when I try to play
> > > CDs. Does anyone have any other ideas on what could be wrong,
> > > please?

> > Have you rerun sndconfig?

> > --
> > Forte International, P.O. Box 1412, Ridgecrest, CA  93556-1412

> > President, CEO                             Fax: (760) 499-9152
> > My GPG fingerprint: C3AF 4BE9 BEA6 F1C2 B084  4A88 8851 E6C8 69E3 B00B

> Yes, I have. Whatever the problem,  it sure is a beauty. Over the weekend
> I
> also reinstalled Rh7.1 and Mandrake7.2 and I got the same result.
> Mandrake7.2 has no problem with the card, RH7.1 no sound. I am simply out

> of ideas why the older Mandrake would work while RedHat  7.1 which is
> supposedly better does not.

> One last try - the sound file that is played when I run sndconfig is of
> some
> guy saying:
>         "The way I pronounce Linux is Linucs"
> Is that the correct output?

> Thanks,

> Mihai

> Dr. Lazarescu Mihai Mugurel - Lecturer - Curtin University, Perth, WA


 
 
 

Redhat 7.1 No cd sound - Help Please

Post by Mihai Lazaresc » Sat, 14 Jul 2001 11:09:29



> My Redhat 7.1 install works great plays cd's great all I needed to do was go
> to the mixer and crank the volume up. Is your card a PCI card or a ISA card?
> Mine is a PCI ISA cards require you to run sndconfig and set it to
> MicrosucksSoundSystem.
> Littlefish

The sound card is PCI and I did put the volume all the way up. It should have
worked
as the CD spins the permissions are correct but still no sound. I am beginning
to think
there is some problem with the RH distro as I got a copy of RH7.0 and you
guessed it,
the CD player does not work - no sound.

Mihai





> > > > For some reason RedHat 7.1 is not working at all when I try to play
> > > > CDs. Does anyone have any other ideas on what could be wrong,
> > > > please?

> > > Have you rerun sndconfig?

> > > --
> > > Forte International, P.O. Box 1412, Ridgecrest, CA  93556-1412

> > > President, CEO                             Fax: (760) 499-9152
> > > My GPG fingerprint: C3AF 4BE9 BEA6 F1C2 B084  4A88 8851 E6C8 69E3 B00B

> > Yes, I have. Whatever the problem,  it sure is a beauty. Over the weekend
> > I
> > also reinstalled Rh7.1 and Mandrake7.2 and I got the same result.
> > Mandrake7.2 has no problem with the card, RH7.1 no sound. I am simply out

> > of ideas why the older Mandrake would work while RedHat  7.1 which is
> > supposedly better does not.

> > One last try - the sound file that is played when I run sndconfig is of
> > some
> > guy saying:
> >         "The way I pronounce Linux is Linucs"
> > Is that the correct output?

> > Thanks,

> > Mihai

> > Dr. Lazarescu Mihai Mugurel - Lecturer - Curtin University, Perth, WA


--
Dr. Lazarescu Mihai Mugurel - Lecturer - Curtin University, Perth, WA

 
 
 

1. Please help me to get sound to work on redhat linux 7.1

Hey, here's the situation, if anyone can help me out.  I've been using
linux for awhile, and have used a few different distributions.  A few
years ago, I installed RedHat Linux 6.0, and have since then upgraded.
 Anyway, when I had RedHat Linux 6.0, my sound didn't work, and I had
to run the sndconfig to get it working.  Anyway, no problem there.
I've got a soundblaster 16 card.  Later, I upgraded to 7.2, and i
didn't even need to run a sndconfig, because it was detected
automatically.  The problem was that 7.2 ran relatively slow on the
machine I was using it on, since I don't have anything that fancy for
linux use now.  So, I installed 7.1, and that was MUCH faster on my
machine.  The problem was, however, that it didn't detect my
soundcard, like 7.2 did.  I figured it was no problem, and I ran the
sndconfig.  Anyway, that didn't work.  sndconfig doesn't detect any
card, and even if i specify all the irq's and stuff, it still says it
doesn't detect a soundcard in any of the pci slots.  Any help would be
greatly appreciated, if anyone knows what they're talking about.  So
far, 7.1 is working very smoothly on my machine, with the exception of
the sound.

2. HELP ME "MODEM TO MODEM"

3. LDAP trouble with RedHat 7.1, please help

4. solaris/netscape

5. Installing gnotepad+ on Redhat 7.1: Please help

6. Is my Linux partition salvagable

7. Cox@HOME and RedHat 7.1 - Please help

8. App Builder no longer works in CDE 1.0.1!

9. Please help! Installing Proxim Symphony on Redhat 7.1

10. Help: No sound in Mandriva 2005 LE/ Sound Blaster Live Audigy 7.1 (24b)

11. Help: Upgrade from Redhat 7.1 to Redhat 7.2 results internet problem

12. sound problem with Redhat 7.1

13. Sound Driver For Thinkpad A30 w/RedHat 7.1