Tiny Linux on a 386, also loading linux with floppies

Tiny Linux on a 386, also loading linux with floppies

Post by Schroedingerz K » Tue, 20 Aug 2002 21:17:57

I've got 2 problems.

First, I have an old 386 with 3 meg of RAM.  I tried several tiny linux
distributions but none worked.  Either they were for 486 and above, or need
more RAM.  Anyone know of a distribution with less requirements?

Second question, I have a 486 laptop with 8 meg of RAM with floppy but no
cdrom.  I was hoping to find a small distribution, say 25 to 50 meg with floppy
images.  I would use sneaker net with a stack of floppies.  Either that or a
tiny linux distribution that I actually install to the harddrive.  I am
currently using a linux that loads into ram, so I can't shut the power off.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Tiny Linux on a 386, also loading linux with floppies

Post by Bill Marcu » Wed, 21 Aug 2002 00:25:15

On 19 Aug 2002 12:17:57 GMT,

Quote:> I've got 2 problems.

> First, I have an old 386 with 3 meg of RAM.  I tried several tiny linux
> distributions but none worked.  Either they were for 486 and above, or need
> more RAM.  Anyone know of a distribution with less requirements?

Most of the tiny Linux distributions recommend at least 4 meg.  You might
try Minix.

Quote:> Second question, I have a 486 laptop with 8 meg of RAM with floppy but no
> cdrom.  I was hoping to find a small distribution, say 25 to 50 meg with floppy
> images.  I would use sneaker net with a stack of floppies.  Either that or a
> tiny linux distribution that I actually install to the harddrive.  I am
> currently using a linux that loads into ram, so I can't shut the power off.

If it's BasicLinux, I think there is a way to install it to the hard drive.

http://www.pslib.cz/monkey/docs/english.htm

Post by Marcus Laue » Wed, 21 Aug 2002 11:55:59

> I've got 2 problems.
>First, I have an old 386 with 3 meg of RAM.  I tried several tiny linux
>distributions but none worked.  Either they were for 486 and above, or need
>more RAM.  Anyone know of a distribution with less requirements?

        Try looking at the "Linux in 2MB RAM?" page here:

http://traumwind.editthispage.com/resources/lin2MB

        They mention a truly tiny distro called "Bogus", among other things.

        Also, you might try getting the most full-featured "single diskette"
or "rescue diskette" version of linux you can find, and just use that.

        If you need a fancy installer though, don't even bother!  With so
little RAM, you're almost certainly going to be doing everything by hand.

Quote:> Second question, I have a 486 laptop with 8 meg of RAM with floppy but no
> cdrom.  I was hoping to find a small distribution, say 25 to 50 meg with
> floppy
> images.  I would use sneaker net with a stack of floppies.  Either that or a
> tiny linux distribution that I actually install to the harddrive.  I am
> currently using a linux that loads into ram, so I can't shut the power off.

        I'm using "Tiny" (not "Tiny Linux") on a similar machine - 33Mhz 486,
8MB RAM, 200MB HD, with a PCMCIA network card.  Ran as my webserver for a
while, though I'm not using it just now.  Tiny is at http://tiny.seul.org/

                                                            Marcus

Post by mlw » Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:48:51

> I've got 2 problems.

> First, I have an old 386 with 3 meg of RAM.  I tried several tiny linux
> distributions but none worked.  Either they were for 486 and above, or need
> more RAM.  Anyone know of a distribution with less requirements?

> Second question, I have a 486 laptop with 8 meg of RAM with floppy but no
> cdrom.  I was hoping to find a small distribution, say 25 to 50 meg with floppy
> images.  I would use sneaker net with a stack of floppies.  Either that or a
> tiny linux distribution that I actually install to the harddrive.  I am
> currently using a linux that loads into ram, so I can't shut the power off.

> Thanks in advance,

I don't know about the tiny Linux, but the Laptop should be able to perform a
network install.

Tiny Linux on a 386, also loading linux with floppies

Post by Schroedingerz K » Wed, 21 Aug 2002 13:10:32

Quote:>I don't know about the tiny Linux, but the Laptop should be able to perform a
>network install.

Yeah I wish I had a network card for the laptop.  I guess I could use the
serial port but I have no experience with that.

I want to thank everyone for their responses.  I am trying all of the distros
suggested on the 486.  And trying Bogus and Minix on the 386.

Michael

Tiny Linux on a 386, also loading linux with floppies

Post by Schroedingerz K » Wed, 21 Aug 2002 16:05:02

Quote:>I want to thank everyone for their responses.  I am trying all of the distros
>suggested on the 486.  And trying Bogus and Minix on the 386.

Bogus wouldn't run on the "386."  I think it may be a 286.  I'm going to open
the box and take a look at the cpu.  I guess I will try Minix next.

I donated a bunch of 486's and 386's to Goodwill.  Wish I had kept more of
them.  Old machines are good for experimention.  Maybe I'll go back to Goodwill
and buy them back.  <g>

If anyone is in the Nashville area (within 75 mile radius) and wants to get rid

looking for Free BSD cd's.  I would pay $20 plus shipping for a set of them.

Thanks again for the many suggestions I received for compact linux.

Michael (SchroedingerzKat)

Post by Marcus Laue » Thu, 22 Aug 2002 10:42:13

>>I want to thank everyone for their responses.  I am trying all of the
>>distros
>>suggested on the 486.  And trying Bogus and Minix on the 386.

> Bogus wouldn't run on the "386."  I think it may be a 286.  I'm going to
> open
> the box and take a look at the cpu.  I guess I will try Minix next.

        Take a look at ELKS if you have a 286:

http://elks.sourceforge.net/introduction.html

        Also, I got Tiny running using diskettes, not a network install.

                                                            Marcus

1. Install Linux ?'s, to 386 laptop w floppy:

Hi, I am new to Linux but not to computers.  I am a mainframe programmer
(DBA) with PC client/server and web/java experience.

I also want to learn Unix more in-depth, so I would like to install it on
my old COMPAQ LTE 386 20mhz.  It has a floppy drive, no CD-ROM, and a 60M
hard disk (which doublespaced w w3.1 leaves 80M free).

If someone could point me in the right direction I sure would appreciate
it.  I need to know which Linux to install, and how I can install it from
floppy (or web downloads) to the laptop.  I could also purchase a CD-ROM
distribution if it has a good version of Linux if I could copy the CD-ROM
installation to floppies.

Thanks for any help or pointers.

I also have a desktop with W95 installed and plenty of free disk space
(>1G free) but I am afraid of installing another OS on that system
because I rely on it and don't want to corrupt it.

Kevin

2. What DOSEMU for Linux 1.2.0?

3. Tiny memory - how to load linux

4. getent passwd / openldap

5. linux.exe and linux.386

6. Linux and Oracle

7. FYI: Tiny Linux : Linux for small foot print systems : Minimal Linux,

8. Linux Server Security

9. Problems booting SV/386 on Intel AT-386-Computer

10. 386/ix mailx as distributed with 386/ix

11. Emulating 386 on 386 (was: Topic for discussion - future of WINE)

12. Floppy only 386 router?

13. Looking For Used '386 Systems With Pre-Loaded UNIX