Data Overruns on Modem/Serial Line with VT320?

Data Overruns on Modem/Serial Line with VT320?

Post by Trevor Jenki » Thu, 25 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I have a VT320 connected to my Linux machine running kernel 1.2.8. The
VTs setup has modem lines enabled. The serial port (ttyS3) is driven
by a 16550. I have added the following to /etc/inittab

s3:45:respawn:/sbin/agetty19200 ttyS3

When I login on this port there are signs that occasional data
overruns are occuring, e.g. there are  lost characters, there are
corrupted characters. However, there are no entries in
/var/adm/messages for ttyS3, except root logins---it is a secure tty.
I have noticed this corruption in two scenarios (1) when accessing
files CD-ROM and (2) when using "less". In case (1) it does not matter
whether the files are being accesed from an Xterm session or from the
VT320. In case (2) it only happens if less is accessing the file
directly---if it is in a pipe then there is no corruption or character
loss. (My CD-ROM drive, a Panasonic DR-U124X-4, is connected to a
BusLogic BT-445C SCSI controller.) I have checked that there are no
IRQ conflicts with either the software or hardware (that was the cause
of an earlier problem with the VT320 where it wold take 10 seconds for
any character to be processed).

What can I do to elimiate  the corrupted characters and regain the
lost cahracters? By the way I want the terminal setup with No XOFF---I
like using ^s as my search character in emacs and I do not want random
searches to be initiated when the terminal wants to throttle back on
the I/O.

Regards, Trevor.
--

Procrastinate Now!

1. overruns on 38400 bps serial line to SG workstation

--

Hi all,
I've been configuring the /dev/cua0 serial line of my

Did anybody have similar problems and hopefully found a
correct setup (RTS/CTS and such)?

Thanks in advance

  Francois Gygi                      Tel.            +41 21 693 5327
  IRRMA-EPFL                         FAX             +41 21 693 6655

  Switzerland                        http://irrmawww.epfl.ch/fg.html

2. Booting from floppy

3. Capturing Serial Line Data

4. Porting signal code.

5. Problem sending serial line data to dumb device

6. Q: mouse settings for DEC HiNote UltraII

7. Is there some easy way to compress data over serial line?

8. Help!How to assign a value to a variable in awk

9. Grab data from serial line

10. Problems w/ US Robotics Sportster 56K Fax/Data Serial Modem

11. serial port data acquisition without data loss?

12. VT320 Terminal Emulator: setup for 24 lines?

13. How to copy data from serial port to a file (data logging) ?